A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

p1522 & Flashing Cel

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 11:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default P1522 & Flashing Cel - Help Needed

01 2.7t tip

Hey guys seems I've got myself some problems. As I pulled in my driveway tonight and put it into park I noticed a slight wobble in the idle and then suddenly check engine begins flashing. I shut her down and then turned her back on and same symptoms. I scanned it, pics posted as attachments, codes came back p1522, camshaft adjustment malfunction bank 2 as well as misfires cylinders 4,5,6. Just how serious is this? Do you think its just the sensor or the adjuster itself? 2 weeks ago I finished up a bunch of suspension work and some minor engine stuff, cars been running better then it has in a very long time. Engine work consisted of motor-tranny-snub mounts, oil filter housing gasket, new driver side intercooler rubber hoses but nothing to do with the internals. I did have the entire front end off though, including the hard pipes from intercooler to throttle body. Could I have somehow caused it to happen? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm not sure it's safe to even drive the car to the shop.
Attached Images   

Last edited by the green amigo; 01-11-2015 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well here's an update;

And of course it's always bad news. As per others suggestions I went ahead and changed my camshaft position sensor on bank 2, which turned out to be a pita. No access, lots of things to take off and my pcv breather hose was clogged and broken so I had to buy a new one for the hefty price of $240. Anyway put it all back together and didn't do the trick. Same rough idle, misfires, except now its throwing a differnent code;

P1347 camshaft position sensor bank 2/engine speed sensor - incorrect correlation

I'm very confused at this point, everything is plugged in and looks to be correct. Why the different code? As this point I'd have to assume its something major like timing issues. The timing belt etc was done about 2-3 years/35k miles ago with all oem parts, never had an issue with it. Strange that it would act up out of nowhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated as now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Pic of the scan
Attached Images   
Old 01-23-2015, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default sure you got the right part for that bank?

Originally Posted by the green amigo
Well here's an update;

And of course it's always bad news. As per others suggestions I went ahead and changed my camshaft position sensor on bank 2, which turned out to be a pita. No access, lots of things to take off and my pcv breather hose was clogged and broken so I had to buy a new one for the hefty price of $240. Anyway put it all back together and didn't do the trick. Same rough idle, misfires, except now its throwing a differnent code;

P1347 camshaft position sensor bank 2/engine speed sensor - incorrect correlation

I'm very confused at this point, everything is plugged in and looks to be correct. Why the different code? As this point I'd have to assume its something major like timing issues. The timing belt etc was done about 2-3 years/35k miles ago with all oem parts, never had an issue with it. Strange that it would act up out of nowhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated as now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
It's happened before that someone put the wrong part supplied in. Just because the box says its for that bank doesn't mean the right part was in the box.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

That is certainly a possibility, I'll double check the part numbers just to be sure.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Part numbers checked out, an exact match Bosch replacement unit. I swapped the original sensor back in, ran it for a few minutes and scanned codes. Came up with p1347 again, a bit rough idling albeit with no misfires this time . So codes were the same with both sensors but oddly different from the original code. This should rule out the sensor as the issue, any ideas on what it could be or the next step to take. Is there another sensor or electronic connection associated with bank 2?
Old 01-27-2015, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I got the "incorrect colleration" when my car had the tensioner installed on the wrong bank. Check to make sure you didn't unplug the cam chain tensioner on that bank...although for bank 2 the tensioner is near the front & the cam position sensor is near the rear.

Also, for my car the cam position sensors (CPS) are same for bank 1 & bank 2.
Could swap them if you wanted to check the CPS. AND make sure the CPS was installed correctly. IIRC, there is a tab that must seat in a slot on the cam. Hard to install it incorrectly, but maybe worth a double check.

Last edited by CRuby; 01-27-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CRuby
I got the "incorrect colleration" when my car had the tensioner installed on the wrong bank. Check to make sure you didn't unplug the cam chain tensioner on that bank...although for bank 2 the tensioner is near the front & the cam position sensor is near the rear.

Also, for my car the cam position sensors (CPS) are same for bank 1 & bank 2.
Could swap them if you wanted to check the CPS. AND make sure the CPS was installed correctly. IIRC, there is a tab that must seat in a slot on the cam. Hard to install it incorrectly, but maybe worth a double check.
I swapped new and old sensor with same result. Sensor was mounted flush and lined up correctly with with the two mounting holes, is there something else I shouId be lining up as well? As for the cam chain tensioner plug, where is it exactly located on the front?
Old 01-27-2015, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The first code you got, camshaft adjustment malfunction, has nothing to do with the cam sensor. Its not seeing full timing adjustment when activating the solenoid on the chain tensioner. Your now getting cam to crank correlation codes, that would be more evidence of the tensioner failing and not doing its job allowing chain slop.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's what I feared, at this point it looks like the tensioner is most likely damaged. I ordered a new tensioner and applicable gaskets & seals and will take a crack at it this weekend. Any other damage I should be looking for?

Quick Reply: p1522 & Flashing Cel