A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2006 a6 automatic trans fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 a6 automatic trans fluid

what is everyone using for HYR trans ?? thanks
Old 03-09-2016, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by spnwrenchs
what is everyone using for HYR trans ?? thanks
I always run ZF Lifegaurd 8, which is OE. A SEARCH would yield the following:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...fluid-2816950/
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...fluid-2859642/

Also, you should change the dif oil as well: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...-oils-2843310/
Old 03-09-2016, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I've been running the Ravenol fluid in our '06 for a couple years now. It meets the published OE spec and I've had no issues apart from saving a lot of $$$.

Blauparts was my source for the fluid. I am in the USA.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

anyone try pentosin atf1? will that work?
Old 03-10-2016, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by spnwrenchs
anyone try pentosin atf1? will that work?
I have been using the Amsoil Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid. Used it in 2 different A6's and has been great.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dzywicki
I have been using the Amsoil Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid. Used it in 2 different A6's and has been great.
Hi dzywicki,

For your 2006 6 speed transmissions that you did the fluid change on, were you replacing the original ZF Lifeguard 6 fluid? I am about to do a drain and change and am planning on going with the Lifeguard 6 because I don't want to pay the dealer to do the software update to switch to the newer Lifeguard . I also believe that if you do this update, I would have replace all of the fluid with the 9 quarts of the new fluid. That would force me to have the dealer power flush the entire transmission. Your approach seems very cost effective.

Thanks for help.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Newbie123
Hi dzywicki,

For your 2006 6 speed transmissions that you did the fluid change on, were you replacing the original ZF Lifeguard 6 fluid? I am about to do a drain and change and am planning on going with the Lifeguard 6 because I don't want to pay the dealer to do the software update to switch to the newer Lifeguard . I also believe that if you do this update, I would have replace all of the fluid with the 9 quarts of the new fluid. That would force me to have the dealer power flush the entire transmission. Your approach seems very cost effective.

Thanks for help.
Newbie-what year is your trans? you may have ZF8 as factory fill. contact CTSC if unsure. those guys are very helpful and sell the service kits for the best price ive found.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm about to do the same fluid & filter change on my 2006 A6 also.
I believe if you contact a dealer's service center, they can look up the VIN, & tell you whether or not the software up date has been done, as well as what is the correct fluid for your trans. My understanding is that it's all in their databases.

Originally Posted by FL C6.5 Avant
Newbie-what year is your trans? you may have ZF8 as factory fill. contact CTSC if unsure. those guys are very helpful and sell the service kits for the best price ive found.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

FLC6,

I know I do NOT have factory fill ZF8. It didn't exist when my car was manufactured. Any 6 speed from Audi that would be running the ZF8 provided by a dealer would also have the software upgrade. My software is 0010, the original software that is used with the ZF6, the original fluid that was installed in the car. Regarding your comment to contact CTSC, you are correct. They are a reference source for accurate information about to to use. In fact an email I received from them today provided the concise facts on what fluid you can run with these 06 6 speeds. I have the HYR/13 pan bolt transmission with the 3.2 l engine.

This is what I found out, for my transmission that has it's original ZF Lifeguard 6 fluid, I can drain and fill using the newer Lifeguard 8.

Yes, I will be mixing approximately 5 liters of the Lifeguard 8 in with the remaining amount of Lifeguard 6 left in the transmission/torque converter after I drain the pan.

No, I am not expecting any damage by mixing 8 with the 6. And, I am told that there should not be any need to have to upgrade the software is referred to in the Audi TSB.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LarryJa
I'm about to do the same fluid & filter change on my 2006 A6 also.
I believe if you contact a dealer's service center, they can look up the VIN, & tell you whether or not the software up date has been done, as well as what is the correct fluid for your trans. My understanding is that it's all in their databases.
No need to call the dealer. Just run the scan.

Quick Reply: 2006 a6 automatic trans fluid