A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Akebono Ceramics Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Akebono Ceramics Anyone?

While the brakes on my '06 A6 Avant are fine at the moment I plan on keeping it and barring the unforeseen will certainly need a pad & perhaps rotor replacement at some point. Coming from the Urs6 brakes & even '99 A6 Avant
the '06 brakes are much improved. I do fund them somewhat hard to modulate or grabby in 50's parlance! They also dust to the extreme. The car has stock pads/rotors. My INDY AUDI guy whose opinion I value greatly does not like ceramics, feeling they're generally down on stopping power compared to stock. The dusting is a minor issue but I would like something that is easier to modulate. Has anyone one tried Akebono's or other ceramics? If so what are the results? TIA
Old 12-14-2014, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by stuffinder

My indie Audi guy whose opinion I value greatly does not like ceramics, feeling they're generally down on stopping power compared to stock. The dusting is a minor issue but I would like something that is easier to modulate. Has anyone one tried Akebono's or other ceramics?

Stuff, we had the Akebono ceramic pads in the front end of our C6 A6 wagon. Results were mixed. I would not and did not repeat them when it was time for brakes a few months ago. Reggie has been suggesting the Centric PosiQuiet pads and that's what we fitted at all four corners. While they're not as clean as the Akebono, stopping power is vastly improved. I would say you could probably go two weeks without cleaning the wheels. Brake dust is fairly light. Much lighter than the Aud OE pad.

I'm removing the ceramic pads from our other Audis. Braking is really disappointing with them, bordering on dangerous. Our '15 Q5 has ceramic pads. It barely stops...you've really got to pay attention.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

I'm a huge fan of Akebono pads since the days of my C5. My current C6 4.2 has brembo rotors with akebonos and here are my thoughts:
Significantly less dust
Equivalent or better stopping

There are no cons I've noticed in relation to factory OEM pads and I will gladly buy akebono products again
Old 12-14-2014, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
I have them on my C6 A6 and my A3. Stopping power I would say 10% decrease with same pedal force. Modulation wise, much easier to keep a smooth deceleration with no "grabbiness" at any point. If you drive the car hard, you will miss the ability to really pull the car down from high speed repeatedly with moderate pedal input. They won't fade, but you will have to push harder than with semi metallic. They are virtually dustless. No kidding, the rest of the car will get dirty, faster than the wheels. I found them a great fit for the A6 as the OE were very grabby and ridiculously dusty. Same with the A3. They are daily drivers not driven to the limit of their capabilities.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Akebono eur840

I just bought akebono eur840 brakes for my s4 b5. Now if I could just figure out how to get them in. It's a two piston brake system, but these pads won't reach both pistons. Anyone have any idea how to get this done?
Old 12-15-2014, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the input! Since panic stop/deer avoidance situations are not uncommon here
in the woods of Central NY I guess I'll stick with stock. I occasionally drive at relatively high speeds on rural secondary roads as well so fading is undesirable as wel. Thanks,
Old 12-15-2014, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had the Akebonos in for 4(?) years and have found no difference with stopping ability. I do take the wife's a6 to Chicago occasionally and get to drive like a mad man in that traffic and they worked great. No deer either. I will put them in the next Audi. The only bad thing it the time I saved on cleaning rims is used for other honey do list stuff!!

Bob
Old 12-15-2014, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've also used the akebono pads for a couple years and like them. In my opinion the gains had in not dealing with brake dust outweigh the "perceived loss" in friction. Besides if it only requires a bit more pedal force as an adjustment to your driving style then why not? Realistically how often will that need for more friction come into play on a road going car?
Old 12-15-2014, 07:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by skizz
I just bought akebono eur840 brakes for my s4 b5. Now if I could just figure out how to get them in. It's a two piston brake system, but these pads won't reach both pistons. Anyone have any idea how to get this done?
Sounds like you have the wrong pads???
Old 12-15-2014, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Use them in the front and rear - never plan to go back to stock.

Quick Reply: Akebono Ceramics Anyone?