A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-06-2016, 11:06 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY Rear Brake Pad Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 06:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Rear Brake Pad Replacement

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me if it is possible to replace the rear brake pads on a 2007 A6 2.0 tdi se saloon, fitted with an electronic handbrake?

I have replaced front and rear brake pads on a 2005 a4, but it did not have an electronic handbrake.

I have read somewhere that VAG COM diagnostic software is required to reset the handbrake and also to retract the caliper to allow removal of the pads.

Is there any reasonably priced software that an enthusiast can purchase that can allow this kind of work to be done or not.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st, yes you can do it yourself at home.
2nd, yes you need a VAGCOM to retract the parking brake so you can retract the caliper piston to replace the pads. Here's a link to the procedure that you need to follow to do the brakes without destroying your calipers.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index..._Parking_Brake

You have to perform the open/close/and function test procedures listed to replace the brakes.

3rd. yes there is a stand alone tool that will do this procedure for you. Here is a link to the site where you can get one directly.

http://www.mactools.com/product/tabi...35-epb102.aspx
Old 03-16-2010, 08:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick response.

Just to clear things up. you mentioned that i would need the Vag-Com, but then went on recommend a stand alone tool under item 3. I am guessing that this is a slightly cheaper alternative to the Vag Com tool and that if i purchase this, i follow the procedure referred to under point 2.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Going the route of the VAGCOM is going to be the preffered route to the brake job and the link to rosstech will apply.

The stand alone tool will have it's own set of instructions that come with it, and you would follow those to do your brakes and the ross tech link will then be totally irrelevant.

The standalone tool is about half the cost of the vagcom, but then again all it does is rear brakes, the rosstech vagcom is more money but it also allows you to read check engine light codes, clear those codes, you can do a whole lot of diagnoistic things like read coil pack voltages in real time, you can read the operating blocks for all tour emissions electronics such as O2 sensors, MAP sensor, etc etc. It also allows you to change and unlock options your car may not have come with, such as window and sunroof closing when it begins to rain, open and close all windows from your key remote, and the list goes on.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will step in and give a 3rd alternative however I dont recommend it unless you really trying to be frugal and not buy one of the two things that Kemer1 mentioned.

You can actually compress the rear piston without the use of any software tools via OBDII. The process works like this. Have to crap the piston itself and turn it clockwise like you tightening a bolt, you do this say 2-3turns fully, and then use a C-clamp or brake piston tool and it will let it push the piston in about 1mm, then do the piston turn itself again 2-3turns, then push the piston in again. You have to keep doing this till the piston gets all the way in.

Dixit
Old 03-16-2010, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dixit
I will step in and give a 3rd alternative however I dont recommend it unless you really trying to be frugal and not buy one of the two things that Kemer1 mentioned.

You can actually compress the rear piston without the use of any software tools via OBDII. The process works like this. Have to crap the piston itself and turn it clockwise like you tightening a bolt, you do this say 2-3turns fully, and then use a C-clamp or brake piston tool and it will let it push the piston in about 1mm, then do the piston turn itself again 2-3turns, then push the piston in again. You have to keep doing this till the piston gets all the way in.

Dixit
Sooo you gonna pay the man to replace his calipers after he destroys them? Why the hell does someone that drives a 50+K car want to take shortcuts that will in the end cost him almost 2grand to replace and have to take it to the dealer to do correctly. This is just plain old ignorance.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did I say it was the first option or even 2nd option? No I said it was the final option.

Not sure why folks jump on others and call people ignorant without knowing the truth behind it. So you are telling me that if someone does this method, their caliper is broken and worthless right? Id like to hear why you feel this. Have you mechanically taken apart the caliper yourself? Do you know the internals working on how it works?

Dixit
Old 03-16-2010, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember a post by pierreb about when he tried to do the brakes without the proper tools, he had to get it towed to the dealer and they had to replace the calipar. Just be careful.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, some people are able to minor repairs, but throw a couple of curves at them it goes awry fast. I have replaced brakes before, but would not attempt to manually back down the calipers. I think all that Kemer was getting at is that while one person may "capable" most THINK they are and get themselves into trouble.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Understandable, Its not for everyone, thats why it was a last option. I know how the internals of that caliper works as Ive opened one and it has a fail safe mechanism if the VAGCOM cannot get the caliper to release. This is the manual mechanical way to do it.

I do all the work myself no matter what the cost of a car is if I can do it. My S600 is over $150k, doesnt stop me from working on it. They say you cannot change front brakes on it without the $3000 computer from the dealer to keep the caliper from closing up or activating when you remove it, well thats true, but there are always workarounds. As long as you know what you are doing and are fully capable of it, it can be done. Which is what I did on my S600, took me 30mins to change the front brakes to some nicer AXXIS Ceramic ones. Dealer wanted $700 to change brakes, I did it in $75. Does that make me cheap? Im I stupid to change the brakes on my $150k car just to save $600? I dont think so, I do it cause I enjoy working on cars and have been all my life and fully capable of it. I dont recommend working on anything if you are weary or not upto possibly breaking things or challenges.

Dixit

Quick Reply: DIY Rear Brake Pad Replacement