Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

May be coming back to Audi

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default May be coming back to Audi

Way back in 1998 I had an A4 1.8T that I really liked (it was my first real "premium" car) but that turned out to be my last Audi. Anyway, I'm looking for a "compact SUV" to replace the Outback I'm currently driving and the Q5 has caught my eye as a definite possibility. Since I had the A4, we have owned two Mazdas and two Subarus, all of which have been stone reliable with no service requirements other than standard periodic maintenance, brakes, etc. So I'm hoping to continue our run of trouble-free vehicles if possible (realizing there are no guarantees). Also, at 77yo, I'm not sure how many more new car purchases are in my future.

Anyway, my main question here is to ask why it seems that the Q5 never seems to be highly rated on those various "Ten Best" lists, etc.? I realize there are issues with those types of lists, but it seems like they can't all be biased. Has Audi fallen off the mark with recent models?

My timeframe might also be an issue since I may not pull the trigger until early next year, at which time the next version of the Q5 might be out. This could present a problem in that the first year of a major change is always going to have problems, plus I've never seen them introduce something new without it being larger than the model it replaces . Any comments?
Old 05-17-2024, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 188 Likes on 147 Posts

My brother (64 years old) and myself (63 years old) have been driving VW and Audi's since our 30's and are very competent doing repairs when needed.

My brother drives a Subaru now and won't go back to VW/Audi because of reliability and cost of repairs.

I'm driving an SQ5 and will stay with this brand as long as I can.

Old 05-17-2024, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 343 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by rochrunner
Anyway, my main question here is to ask why it seems that the Q5 never seems to be highly rated on those various "Ten Best" lists, etc.? I realize there are issues with those types of lists, but it seems like they can't all be biased. Has Audi fallen off the mark with recent models?
Poor quality, plain and simple. Their tech features are "ok" but don't work great - took them 2.5 years to fix 360 degree cameras that weren't working. These products engineering to generate service revenue. I like our SQ5, but it's expensive to drive due to repairs, and probably wouldn't entertain buying another VAG product unless they drastically change their engineering/quality. Others might have different perspectives....
Old 05-17-2024, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Overall, I think, the difference between offerings has diminished somewhat. That includes aerodynamic shapes, luxury/comfort features, handling, performance, and technology.

A distinctive feature of older Audis was the Torsen-based quattro system, which has been disappearing in favor of other computer-driven clutch linkages. This makes them more similar to other brands' AWD systems.

And to be frank, the market has become obsessed with software-defined features, including infotainment and driver assistance systems. People will ignore a lot of other car material characteristics and focus on these. I'm not sure whether to blame Tesla marketing or whether they were just good at recognizing a coming market shift. For some people, big screens and futuristic cabins somehow signals luxury more than actual control ergonomics, seat comfort, or acoustic character.

Alas, I don't think Audi's strengths were ever in software...
The following users liked this post:
Wires (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Another thing I'll add is that whether you'll be satisfied or not depends a lot on how your expectations have changed from those other brands you've been using.

I also started with Audi with the B5 generation A4. Unlike you, I kept them for a long time. I sold my sedan after 7 years and had a wagon for almost 18 years. In between, I only sampled other cars as rentals or borrowed, and we bought a new Corolla for my wife's commute. When I finally returned to an Audi dealer, I picked up a first gen Q3 as the most sensible replacement of my old A4 wagon. At that point, I even cross-shopped the RAV4 but rejected it for the terribly uncomfortable passenger seat, of all things...

I've been satisfied with the Q3, in spite of the switch from torsen to haldex. We've had it for 7 years now, and I am making the transition to an independent mechanic with the expectation we'll keep it a lot longer. The basic tech doesn't bother me because I wasn't expecting much. I can put an SD card full of music in it, which is good because my old iPod that I used in the A4 is probably at death's door. I don't care for any of the smartphone integrations because I get in the car to drive somewhere, not to play with my phone. I still have my old habit of looking at a map and knowing where I am going before I start driving...
Old 05-17-2024, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 230 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
Poor quality, plain and simple. Their tech features are "ok" but don't work great - took them 2.5 years to fix 360 degree cameras that weren't working. These products engineering to generate service revenue. I like our SQ5, but it's expensive to drive due to repairs, and probably wouldn't entertain buying another VAG product unless they drastically change their engineering/quality. Others might have different perspectives....
If you were to buy another vehicle in the same price range, instead of Audi would it be BMW, Mercedes, or something else? Maybe Genesis?

So far, My SQ5 has been OK except for squeaky brakes in the first 10,000 or so, and the Audi presence activating when it didn't really need to. Otherwise, fine, but I'll be coming to the end of the warranty period near the end of this year.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Basic parts which have been around for 125 years, such as motor mounts and coil springs, SHOULDN'T FAIL, but Audi fail them at less than 50,000 miles. That's just unacceptable.

Also, we've had more reports of catastrophic engine failures here than any other auto marque forum in my experience. Again, four cylinder engines just shouldn't have major failures. It's a perfected technology, but not at Audi.

jack vines
Wires (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 343 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by GeriatricSQ5Guy
If you were to buy another vehicle in the same price range, instead of Audi would it be BMW, Mercedes, or something else? Maybe Genesis?

So far, My SQ5 has been OK except for squeaky brakes in the first 10,000 or so, and the Audi presence activating when it didn't really need to. Otherwise, fine, but I'll be coming to the end of the warranty period near the end of this year.
I've had great luck with BMW (grain of salt, since the last one I bought was is a 2016 which is now 8-years old, but flawless). From what I've heard MB is also expensive post-warranty. Genesis would be high on my list of vehicles for sure. It's like Hyundai stole everything good from everyone else, and put it into a car. Right now I'm hoping once I get over replacing both rear coil springs on the Audi, that it stops costing money and we can just drive it.

GeriatricSQ5Guy (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GeriatricSQ5Guy
Actually, if I get a Q5 it will have to top what I like about the Genesis GV70 that first caught my interest and which I've already driven. After posting above, I dropped by the local Audi dealer and took a closer look at the Q5, sat in one in the showroom, etc. These days I judge a car much more from the inside than the outside, including driver aids and all that, and the GV70 IMO clearly blows away the current Q5 in that regard. Maybe the next gen Q5 will do come catching up, but then I'd be in the first-year-of-new-model situation and, at my age, I don't have much patience with car problems.

One of my issues is that I live in the Detroit metro area, which is pretty sparse on import-brand dealers. The Genesis dealer is in a particularly inconvenient location vs. the Audi dealer who is within a few miles. On the other hand, the Genesis dealer offers the full Genesis line of services including valet service for maintenance, where they'll pick it up from your home and drop off a loaner. I'm not in a hurry to make a decision and might wait to see what the upcoming refreshed GV70 is like and if Audi reveals something compelling on the next gen Q5 and will continue to lurk in the appropriate forums.
The following 3 users liked this post by rochrunner:
GeriatricSQ5Guy (05-18-2024), Harplayr (05-19-2024), Wires (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by carkarl
Overall, I think, the difference between offerings has diminished somewhat. That includes aerodynamic shapes, luxury/comfort features, handling, performance, and technology.

A distinctive feature of older Audis was the Torsen-based quattro system, which has been disappearing in favor of other computer-driven clutch linkages. This makes them more similar to other brands' AWD systems.

And to be frank, the market has become obsessed with software-defined features, including infotainment and driver assistance systems. People will ignore a lot of other car material characteristics and focus on these. I'm not sure whether to blame Tesla marketing or whether they were just good at recognizing a coming market shift. For some people, big screens and futuristic cabins somehow signals luxury more than actual control ergonomics, seat comfort, or acoustic character.

Alas, I don't think Audi's strengths were ever in software...
Our Audi is a q5e with the aligned 4-cylinder turbo engine. It has the torsen four-wheel drive Quattro system, which is excellent in snow. The haldex system is used by vag in transverse drive automobiles of which the Q5 is not.

Quick Reply: May be coming back to Audi