A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Enabling Adaptive Brake Light with VCDS

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Prestige Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Enabling Adaptive Brake Light with VCDS

Hey guys, I didn't want to bring an old thread back from the dead but to summarize this thread regarding enabling the adaptive brake lights..

You would go to 46 - Comfort System, then Adaptation

Channel 050: Adaptive Brake Light
+1 = Emergency Brake Blinking (Hazards)
+2 = Brake Light Surface Amplification (only Sedan)
Note: Adaptation value is the sum of the individual options.

When the car senses you're "panic braking" (it's triggered by quickly taking your foot off of the accelerator and slamming on the brakes, as if you're in a panic situation) it will activate the brake assist, and whatever channel 50 is coded to (default is 0 - nothing)

+1 makes your hazards come on (they do turn themselves off after you've been stopped for a few blinks)
+2 makes the outer two parking light bulbs in each tail light light up at full intensity (21w)

The car must be dropping the voltage to get the 7506 bulbs to light up so dimly as parking lights, especially with 6 between both tails. When the 4 outer bulbs are all lit up at 21w with the LED brake lights, it's very noticeable. They stay on for about 10 or 15 seconds if you keep your foot on the brake, or of course turn off when you release the pedal.

I've had mine set at just +1 since I bought it in April, but I think the hazards draw too much attention and I don't like that hazards on means the brake lights are blinking. I just tried out +2 because nobody had figured out what the coding meant and we had some snow, made it very easy to trigger it and take a look.

Anyway I think it's a pretty neat safety feature. I'll have to snap some pictures some time in the next week, we're expecting more snow. Let me just say how glad I am that I got myself a quattro

Last edited by mikerouze; 01-28-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:11 PM

Yeah this post is kind of useless without pictures.. So I figured I would give it a shot. Used a bottle of wiper fluid to wedge the brake pedal after I had come to a complete stop and put it in park, the adaptive lights stay on for a decent amount of time after you've stopped if you don't release the pedal.

At night they are very noticeable, I think they could be especially useful during bad weather. Not sure if they still come on if you have the rear fogs on, I would imagine so.

Brake Lights

Adaptive Brake Lights

Brake Lights (Headlights on)

Adaptive Brake Lights (Headlights on)

Close-up (Headlights off)

Last edited by mikerouze; 01-30-2015 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

interesting.

I have +1 set (blinking) and never observed it outside of the car. Does it trigger blinkers in all four corners or just rear?

Since I have avant, +2 would not work for me.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by beep-beep
interesting.

I have +1 set (blinking) and never observed it outside of the car. Does it trigger blinkers in all four corners or just rear?
Yes, all four corners and the indicators in the instrument cluster light up as well.