A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Installed a pair of Sylvania Zevo LED bulbs...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
By insulating the resistors that way they will get even hotter and may fail sooner or start a fire. Those resistors have fins so that they can dissipate heat due to air convection. Enclosing them kind of defeats the purpose.
total agree on this.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Noted. As mentioned previously, I have disabled the DRL option until I have a solution implemented. Thank you for the input.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts

I recommend that you find some metal chassis component like the front bumper supports and screw the resistors to it. That will help them dissipate the heat. Overall you will not use any less energy than you would with incandescent bulbs but instead of dumping the heat into the headlight assembly you need to dump it someplace else.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
I recommend that you find some metal chassis component like the front bumper supports and screw the resistors to it. That will help them dissipate the heat. Overall you will not use any less energy than you would with incandescent bulbs but instead of dumping the heat into the headlight assembly you need to dump it someplace else.
agree with this. Unwrap those heat sinks and allow them to do what they were designed to do...dissipate heat. The bigger the heat sinks the better, in most cases and this is an inherent issue with almost all LEDs.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you very much. As weekends are typically pretty busy, inherent nature of any family with three toddlers, I have to tackle this during the week. I will reply when all is resolved.

I have to admit, they do look pretty good. Though, due to the forward-facing nature of the Zevo bulb, the bulb housing wasn't reflecting light equal to the forward discharge of the bulb. So, I took a couple pieces of aluminium aircraft tape and traced a quarter to cut two "caps" to place over the tip of each bulb. The size was sufficient to achieve the desired effect and the DRL housing is now illuminated as intended.

I didn't take any photos before I installed them, but I was able to find this via Google, to make it easier to imagine what I did with the tape. I'll take a photo later today of the bulbs installed.
Attached Images  

Last edited by inivid; 03-02-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

After further reading, these bulbs certainly do not require resistors, as they are completely internal and the bulb itself has an integrated pedestal heat sink. I'm leaning towards the bulb seeing an under-voltage condition (rated for 12.8), as I have not read about other makes/models having the same issue I have been seeing. Also, given that it's a very, very slow rate of flicker (one per 1.5 sec), I am extremely confident in my assumption. I have yet to confirm, but intend to put my Power Probe to good use later this afternoon, upon return from an appointment.

Last edited by inivid; 03-18-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Power Probe testing revealed the following data:

Voltage via terminals in engine compartment: 12.3V
Voltage input to DRL socket: Nominal 10.3V, with cyclic increases to 11.7V at 1.2-1.5sec rate. Intermittent negative pulses present throughout.

So, I was correct in my under-voltage assumption. Now, how do I remedy it?
Old 03-23-2015, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by inivid
I saw some Sylvania Zevo LED bulbs at Autozone, while picking up a tire pressure gauge, and they garnered my curiosity. So, I picked up a packaged pair that was the equivalent to the OE DRL and swapped them out tonight. The color is a fantastic clean white. However, there is a faint flicker at a rate of once every second. Note, this with the car off. I haven't observed them with the car running yet, as it's late and I'm posting this on my way to bed. I simply wanted to get something posted, with hopes of waking up to some feedback. I also picked up a set to replace the incandescent license plate bulbs, but I am now a bit apprehensive, for fear of the same result.

This is my experience and its only for the License plate bulbs. Avoid This 6418 Sylvania LED bulb Sylvania 6418 LED Bulb, 1 pack 6418 LED: Advance Auto Parts ...Only worked one week and they started dying.

I got ZIZA LED PL36MM65050WHT - 36mm White LED Festoon Bulb - Priced Each - ES#2515359 it works perfect.

Last edited by RydeOdie; 03-23-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Spoke to an engineer from Sylvania yesterday. He confirmed resistors are not necessary and recommended a capacitor to stabilize the voltage. He noted I would see slightly diminished brightness, but it would solve any flicker I am currently experiencing. He also noted that the bulb replacement guide for my make/model/headlight variant would be revised, per my troubleshooting and data.

RydeOdie, thanks for recommending the ZIZA plate bulbs!
Old 08-04-2015, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Having read a number of similar threads, I have a question: why not just wire the regular OEM bulb in a separate BA15S socket in parallel to the LED and place it somewhere inside the engine compartment? This bulb is exactly what the computer is expecting in terms of wattage/resistance. This should remove the resistor guesswork and temperature issues.

Thoughts?