A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Intake Manifold Runner Actuator failure...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Intake Manifold Runner Actuator failure...

Well, another issue cropped up on my '06 A6 Avant with only ~77.6K miles: two DTCs, P2006 and P2007 appeared. In checking the Bentley Manual, I found TSB 24-08-76, which indicates the most probable cause is a vacuum leak. The TSB indicated that the most likely vacuum hose failure is the vacuum hose running across the front of the engine down to the lower right corner (P/N 063-133-633). After checking the vacuum hoses and lines, I determined that the vacuum leak was not a hose, but the right front intake manifold runner actuator not holding a vacuum. The P/N for this actuator is 06E-133-159-A. When I search for this part on-line, it comes back with a new P/N 06E-133-126-K, which is the complete lower intake manifold assembly, and sells for over $300. To R&R this part requires removal of the upper intake manifold and associated parts (same R&R operation as if one was doing the intake manifold carbon cleaning).

Prior to buying the complete assembly, has anyone managed to replace only the actuator vs. the complete assembly? These random part failures on such a low mileage A6 are being to bug me! Thanks.

(FYI: This thread is also posted on the "other" A6 C6 site)
Old 02-12-2016, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only way is to feplacd the whole assembly. Or try a used one from someone parting oht their car.
Look at ig this way now you can decarbon the engind since you are alreaxy there.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:15 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Take it apart and take a look before you do anything. The ball/socket wears and the arm pops off. If you are careful, you can fix it with a drill and a sheet metal screw to hold the ball in place. The vacuum servo is usually fine.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

Thanks for the reply, 4Driver4. I read about the ball socket wearing and coming off, but in my case the actuator won't hold a vacuum (w/ vacuum pump connected directly to it). So that condition leaves me to conclude that the vacuum servo failed for some reason. But since I am unable to purchase a new vacuum servo unit, my only option is to replace the complete lower intake manifold on the right bank. While I'm in there, I might as well as do a carbon cleaning on the intake valves/surfaces. Then I only have to decide if I should replace the left bank lower intake assembly as a preventative measure.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen some videos around of people doing work on the lower intake parts, not sure if this will help your problem at all though. It seems to be an all or none piece from audi.

I wouldn't do it as preventive maintenance, especially given the cost. It isn't all that bad to change them out, plus I have over 100K and both originals so I would suspect your other one will last for a while, which would be another good opportuntiy to check / clean the carbon again if/when it goes!