A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-06-2016, 11:06 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Rear brake pad change

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ct-audi-A6-3.2
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I did the rear brakes on my 2005 A6 this weekend. I did not buy the Vag-com tool as I really have no desire to change any settings or anything. Also, I do not have a laptop, so moving my home PC into the garage to change my f'in brakes really did not appeal to me. Plus, the vag-com was just too much coin $275 for the cheapest version.

Rather, I simply bought the tool from Mactools.com, part No. EPB101. It is about 1/3 the cost of the vag-com but is limited to brake jobs.

Also, I pretty much figured out that you can get the piston to withdraw without needing the Mactool or the vagcom. You can remove the motor from the caliper using a torx socket to remove the two bolts. Once removed, inserting the torx socket into the back of the caliper and turning clockwise will with allow you to compress the piston. You can see this proceedure in the Bently manual as it is what they tell you to do when rebuilding the piston seals...... see funny story below for the reason why I had to rebuild the caliper....

Now, since I had the resetting tool in hand, I can not tell what my little proceedure will do, after installing the new rotors/pads. Namely, I do not know if it the computer will recalibrate the motor to the new spacing and reset the error code. I suspect it will. However, if it does not, you should be able to hit the local autozone and have them reset the codes for you.... Also, I had the tool in had from mactools the day after I ordered it, I did not even pay for the fedex delivery, they just sent it that way.

So all told, I spent about $60 on the pads and $75 on the rotors both at genuineaudiparts.com, plus the $140 on the tool from mactools ===> $275, which is still a bunch less than the stealership wanted and now I can do them whenever I want......

If you live in Connecticut and want to use the tool, send me a note offline....
Would it be possible to post the exact procedeure from the Bentley manual? It would be nice to get this resolved before the thread dies.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a cheaper, easier way than either tool, ECS has this:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-C6_A6-...hecker/ES9950/

Just follow the procedure posted for the VCDS/Ross Tech tool (or basically the true VAG tool instructions). This is a full vag tool, stand alone. The only issue with it is the interface takes a little getting use to (in my opinion the buttons are backwards, but it works, and the menu of items isn't in numerical order (you just have to search through). But for $110(!), it's a full stand alone vag tool, easy to use, does everything the VCDS does (except for storing data, you can only view real-time).

I did the rears on my A6 a few months ago with this tool, and worked like a champ. (And for $110 it was easier than taking the calipers apart), with this tool I did the rears in about 30 minutes total (with new roters installed to boot).
Old 08-06-2010, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by emkawarrior

Just follow the procedure posted for the VCDS/Ross Tech tool (or basically the true VAG tool instructions). This is a full vag tool, stand alone. The only issue with it is the interface takes a little getting use to (in my opinion the buttons are backwards, but it works, and the menu of items isn't in numerical order (you just have to search through). But for $110(!), it's a full stand alone vag tool, easy to use, does everything the VCDS does (except for storing data, you can only view real-time).

I did the rears on my A6 a few months ago with this tool, and worked like a champ. (And for $110 it was easier than taking the calipers apart), with this tool I did the rears in about 30 minutes total (with new roters installed to boot).
I would rather put that $110. towards a Vag-Com. It would be really easy if someone would post the procedeure from the manual. The OP said that it was used after rebuilding the calipers so I would think that it would work and be safe. Maybe I'll have to try another Audi forum or PM the OP.

Also, you're not really "taking the calipers apart". You take 2 small screws out and turn another, it's very easy, you have the calipers in hand anyway. I'll bet that I could do it faster than someone can hook up the scanner and go through the menu and open the caliper pistons and then click on something else when the job is done to turn the pistons back in. The question is what's the proper way to do it by the book.

Last edited by Tanket; 08-06-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

I guess this thread's ending without the info being posted from the manual...........oh well.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanket
I guess this thread's ending without the info being posted from the manual...........oh well.
It was posted on page 2.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index..._Parking_Brake

I would like to buy the v-checker pro also for 2006 A6 rear pad replacement. This link must be the instructions although I have never used the vag-com.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry, After read more closely, the parking brake procedure was not what Tanket was asking for.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by emkawarrior

This sounds like a nice tool, but if you visit the ECS website it says nothing about using this tool to retract the rear brake pistons. So I contacted ECS customer service to ask whether it can do that. This is their reply:

"Thanks for the inquiry. Unfortunately the the v-checker can not perform that job. You will need a vag-com to do that. I have also seen a write up on the vw forums which shows you a DIY on how to do that without a vag-com. I believe you have to use a jumper wire from the battery. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Best,
David Coleman - Sales Representative"

Based on this, I feel less certain about the V-checker. Emkawarrior, you obviously have it figured out - can you please post the procedure that you used? Thanks! Also, anyone know what he's talk ing about with respect to using a jumper from the battery?

Last edited by ChipB; 08-12-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gonna tackle this in the next few days on my '06 D3 A8- assume the vag-com instructions are the same... guess I'll find out! Figure I'll do the fronts first as they should be pretty standard, without any damned electronic parking brake to complicate matters.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Chango
Sorry, After read more closely, the parking brake procedure was not what Tanket was asking for.
No but thanks for trying....I'll PM the OP and the other poster that read the procedeure from the manual.

Quick Reply: Rear brake pad change