A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-02-2016, 02:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

valve cover gasket replacement in 2005 A6 C6

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by bballfreak
Raj
I did my valve covers but I did not put the silicone dab as I read your post later. I have a leak and it seems from the valve cover in the front passenger side. what exactly do you mean by putting silicone around the corners of the arc? let me know thks
Hi there

I wish I had a pic, but to just apply a dab of the rtv on the edges of the gasket vs applying it all over the gasket
Old 12-28-2014, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My oil leak I think has stopped after I re-tightened the valve cover bolts. It was leaking after I replaced the valve cover a few months back. Used the OE gasket from the Audi Dealer.
I had torqued it to 9NM, but just turning like 1/4 turn more helped.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Does anyone know what hose is supposed to be attached to that check valve? I was doing some maintenance and came across this. Couldn't find any un-attached hoses in the surrounding area. I capped it for now with a rubber cap, because I didn't know if it was pulling in unfiltered air.

I didn't get any CEL before, or after I capped it off.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The hose in the left picture behind the oil filter that goes through the bulkhead is the one that connects to the fitting.

Just finished the valve cleaning process as outlined by audibug and decided to do the valve cover gaskets at the same time since I had the oil in the spark plug well issue too. In my case, I had 3 rusted bolts that I had to remove from the passenger side. The splines in the Torx fasteners were gone so it required cutting a slot with a Dremel tool to make them removable with a hammer and slot screw driver.

The audi dealer wanted $6.75 each and no stock for 2 days, so to I went to a fastener supply shop and replaced them with an M6 x 30mm bolt with two stainless steel washers under the heads for length adjustment. Total cost about a $1.50.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Getting ready to tackle the passenger side for the valve cover gasket. Is it necessary to replace all the bolts with new ones? I have heard yes and no but they are pricey $6.20 ea. x 12. More than the gasket. Thoughts?
Old 01-01-2017, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 955ilimited
Getting ready to tackle the passenger side for the valve cover gasket. Is it necessary to replace all the bolts with new ones? I have heard yes and no but they are pricey $6.20 ea. x 12. More than the gasket. Thoughts?
You should be able to reuse the bolts... These aren't one time use and aren't torqued to a massive amount.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by raj99
You should be able to reuse the bolts... These aren't one time use and aren't torqued to a massive amount.
Thanks Raj. I watched this video and the tech said to always replace the valve cover bolts or they will leak
at 1:14:37 in to it. Is it possible to just buy the rubber grommets? Any idea on part number for these? Also what is the cleaner he is using to spray down the heads/valve cover with? I dont want to do this project twice

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2017, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks Raj. I watched this video and the tech said to always replace the valve cover bolts or they will leak https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAWsKChptvU at 1:14:37 in to it. Is it possible to just buy the rubber grommets? Any idea on part number for these? Also what is the cleaner he is using to spray down the heads/valve cover with? I dont want to do this project twice

Thanks!
​​​​​why not ask him on his YouTube channel directly?

i cleaned up things with carb cleaner and did reuse the bolts, but I'll re-lookup on the repair manual on what they actually state and repost here.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Buy the bolts from a fastener shop along with appropriate sized washers. Valve cover is not leaking yet with the ones I used......I don't think it's possible to buy the rubber washers separately; I just reused the ones from the bolts I replaced but in a different location.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I bought a whole new set of bolts with rubber grommets and ended up not using them. I think there are at least 14. I'd be glad to sell them for 3.00/ea + shipping...

Quick Reply: valve cover gasket replacement in 2005 A6 C6