A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Broken Pin in Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 05:14 AM
Audi Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Broken Pin in Hatch

So I stupidly left my umbrella half on the fixed 'trunk' cover and when I closed/opened the hatch, it broke one of the support pins on the hatch (2012 A7).

Wondering if anyone else has dealt with this before.

On this picture, it is listed as part 7, or "mount" along with the clip at 6:

When looking at online parts sources, it doesn't quite line up the same, but I'm thinking that it is part #21 on this diagram:

This is sold as piece of 'kit' 4G8-898-283-B-4PK which is illustrated like a 4-year old drew it (probably younger):

Still not too sure if that's the right bit. I've messaged one of the online sellers, so we'll see what they say...

Last edited by SpectreGadget; 08-03-2016 at 04:18 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SpectreGadget
So I stupidly left my umbrella half on the fixed read cover and when I closed/opened the hatch, it broke one of the support pins on the hatch (2012 A7).

Wondering if anyone else has dealt with this before.
Took me a bit to figure out what "fixed read cover" was - autocorrect strikes again.

The broken pin is rare but I remember it being the subject of a thread. I believe the solution was found at the Audi parts counter.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I found the thread I was thinking of but there was no real solution mentioned in it. There are a couple of alternate repair ideas stated.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a7-...cover-2895198/
Old 08-02-2016, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

I've managed to break them twice. Both times I just used a screw with a small enough head to fit in the "socket" until the dealer replaced them at a service - they (only one tends to break at a time) were replaced under warranty. The update model seems to be using a metal pin now, so that the new pin is stronger than the sensitivity level of the hatch closing mechanism, which the plastic pin was not.

Although the dealer replaced it with the same plastic pins both times, not the newer metal ones. Which amused me. Perhaps there is a different anchoring system for the metal pins?

Frankly, the screws worked just as well, and once in, you can't see them.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:41 AM
Audi Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Took me a bit to figure out what "fixed read cover" was - autocorrect strikes again. The broken pin is rare but I remember it being the subject of a thread. I believe the solution was found at the Audi parts counter.
Doh! Auto-corrupt, you mean.

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I found the thread I was thinking of but there was no real solution mentioned in it. There are a couple of alternate repair ideas stated. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a7-...cover-2895198/
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Glisse
I've managed to break them twice. Both times I just used a screw with a small enough head to fit in the "socket" until the dealer replaced them at a service - they (only one tends to break at a time) were replaced under warranty. The update model seems to be using a metal pin now, so that the new pin is stronger than the sensitivity level of the hatch closing mechanism, which the plastic pin was not.
Although the dealer replaced it with the same plastic pins both times, not the newer metal ones. Which amused me. Perhaps there is a different anchoring system for the metal pins?
Oh, that's a good idea. I was going to take the trim piece off and see if I could 3D print a replacement, but a screw would probably be better.

I did get a reply from one supplier that said it appeared the part I was looking at was the right one, so I might order it and see.

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2016, 05:33 AM
Audi Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Glisse
I ended up putting a screw in there for now and it works great. Thanks again!
Old 08-05-2016, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by SpectreGadget
I ended up putting a screw in there for now and it works great. Thanks again!
Good news - and it will probably last longer than a plastic pin, LOL!