A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

New A7 - Love it but having seat comfort issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New A7 - Love it but having seat comfort issues

Hey guys - as I posted earlier I just picked up a 2016 A7 Prestige heavily optioned with the s-line package, no comfort seats! ;(

Love the car was trying to decide between an A8, A6 and A7, landed on the 7.

I have an hour commute each way and about 30 minutes in my lower back starts hurting and it gradually gets worse.

I am having a lot of trouble finding a comfortable position and have no idea how to make the right adjustments, not sure what helps and what makes it worse.

As you could imaging its highly stressful given the cost of admission to have painful ride.

Please let me know if you have thoughts or best practices on trying to find the right spot.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2016, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Whenever I'm driving an hour or more, I keep a small Tempurpedic half dome pillow under my right glute -sciatica, and occasionally replace it with a tennis ball or two. Not so much my back as my right leg which could use a Recaro bolster. Good luck & congrats on the A7!
Old 08-11-2016, 02:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your trouble. I've had lower back pain for a few years now, and it's bad enough I rarely even want to drive my Jeep for more than an hour or so when we go offroad. Out of curiosity, would you say you are on the taller or shorter end of the spectrum? I'm still considering a switch to the A7 and am curious about this same issue. I'm pretty short and narrow, and I have a hard time getting comfortable in a lot of cars.

I've never tried this personally, but I've heard several people swear by the "Sacro Ease" back/seat cushion. It's not cheap, but it could be worth looking at:

https://www.relaxtheback.com/mccarty...k-support.html
Old 08-11-2016, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mcgaskins
Sorry to hear about your trouble. I've had lower back pain for a few years now, and it's bad enough I rarely even want to drive my Jeep for more than an hour or so when we go offroad. Out of curiosity, would you say you are on the taller or shorter end of the spectrum? I'm still considering a switch to the A7 and am curious about this same issue. I'm pretty short and narrow, and I have a hard time getting comfortable in a lot of cars.

I've never tried this personally, but I've heard several people swear by the "Sacro Ease" back/seat cushion. It's not cheap, but it could be worth looking at:

https://www.relaxtheback.com/mccarty...k-support.html
Good question I am 6'2" and about 220lbs so not a little guy by any means.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I didn't go A7 because I didn't care for the seats. Love my A8.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by the_duke
I didn't go A7 because I didn't care for the seats. Love my A8.
Trust me I am quite worried I made a big mistake by not going with the A8.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

The Comfort seats in A7 are also in the A8.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by gta7
Hey guys - as I posted earlier I just picked up a 2016 A7 Prestige heavily optioned with the s-line package, no comfort seats! ;(

Love the car was trying to decide between an A8, A6 and A7, landed on the 7.

I have an hour commute each way and about 30 minutes in my lower back starts hurting and it gradually gets worse.

I am having a lot of trouble finding a comfortable position and have no idea how to make the right adjustments, not sure what helps and what makes it worse.

As you could imaging its highly stressful given the cost of admission to have painful ride.

Please let me know if you have thoughts or best practices on trying to find the right spot.

Thanks!
While I am reasonably tolerant when it comes to car seats, my wife has serious lower back pain issues. My 2012 A7 came with standard seats that worked well for me but gave her trouble. We found a company in Toronto that specializes in customizing car seats to people's particular needs. They added some padding, bent some frame members and after 3 adjustments got the seat just right for her. All that for the total cost of $450

When I traded that car for a 2015 A7 with the 24 way adjustable comfort seats that includes massage and ventilation, we found that she could adjust this seat to her needs without any modification. To be completely truthful, I have found the old standard seats more comfortable, but I can live with this seat anyhow.

Getting the seat modified may be the way for you to go.

Last edited by fkaufman; 08-12-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by gta7
Trust me I am quite worried I made a big mistake by not going with the A8.
I have both the 2016 Audi A7 prestige sport with the regular seats like yours and the 2012 Audi A8L with the comfort seat and I find both to be very comfortable. Yes the A8 seats are more adjustable but I dont find it to be that much more better then my A7 seats which is superb in comfort for me for long drives. Heck its far more comfortable then the standard crappy seats in my 2011 BMW 535 which I got constant lower back pain from the fact that the stupid seats have such stiff lumbar support and I hate lumbar support and never needed them. I am a fit guy but I get sensitive with lower back pains in certain cars without enough thigh or back support. However, the A7 prestige seats are perfect for me.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to resurrect and "old" thread, but how would you characterize the Prestige seats? Do you find them too hard or too soft? I also have spine issues from motorcycle crashes and am about to buy a 2017 A6 Prestige. It's hard to get an accurate gauge of comfort from a short 20 to 30 minute test drive. The real test will be a 5-hour interstate cruise.

Quick Reply: New A7 - Love it but having seat comfort issues