A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Parking Brake - Automatically On (new owner)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 11:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake - Automatically On (new owner)

Just purchased a CPO 2013 A7. I'm loving the car so far but I hate that the parking brake is automatically on after I start the car. Is there a way to disengage this feature? I'm worried that a valet would screw something up if they didn't know about it.

Also, is the Audi Connect worth it for $15/month? I have unlimited data on my phone so I'm thinking no. It's 3G too, not LTE.

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2015, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't know if you can turn it off but i do know that it engages when the car is on a slope just shallow enough for a slight roll.

And about Audi Connect, I personally think its only worth it to those who don't have unlimited. I have unlimited data and I just added a line with my current T-mobile plan, no complaints.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Deller
Just purchased a CPO 2013 A7. I'm loving the car so far but I hate that the parking brake is automatically on after I start the car. Is there a way to disengage this feature? I'm worried that a valet would screw something up if they didn't know about it.

Also, is the Audi Connect worth it for $15/month? I have unlimited data on my phone so I'm thinking no. It's 3G too, not LTE.

Thanks!
Parking brake will automatically disengage when you depress the gas pedal in D or R as long as the driver seat belt is secured. Enjoy the ride
Old 06-18-2015, 10:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BasicSlvr
Parking brake will automatically disengage when you depress the gas pedal in D or R as long as the driver seat belt is secured. Enjoy the ride
Had no idea! Thanks
Old 06-19-2015, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Never had mine on when I started the car. As ETAZero mentioned, it will come on if you're on an incline... are you? If you're starting the car on level ground and the parking brake engages, I'd be curious to ask my service department what's going on.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nothing to do with incline. It's always on after starting including in the garage.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

The auto parking brake feature when the car is turned on can be disabled in Vag-Com. I actually had my dealer disable it when it was in for service.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Gary Deller
Nothing to do with incline. It's always on after starting including in the garage.
My parking brake is not engaged upon starting if it was not engaged when I previously shut if off.

As others pointed out, the auto-engage on incline is a feature, but one additional situation where it will engage the parking brake is if you open your door while the car is running and in gear ("D"). I found this out one morning when I pulled into a parking space at work then realized I was a bit distracted (thinking about work!!) and wanted to verify I was not double-parked. With my foot on the brake, I opened my door to peek at the line on the pavement and the parking brake engaged.

Not sure if it would also auto-engage simply if the engine is running but parked ("P") when you open the door.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter
My parking brake is not engaged upon starting if it was not engaged when I previously shut if off.

As others pointed out, the auto-engage on incline is a feature, but one additional situation where it will engage the parking brake is if you open your door while the car is running and in gear ("D"). I found this out one morning when I pulled into a parking space at work then realized I was a bit distracted (thinking about work!!) and wanted to verify I was not double-parked. With my foot on the brake, I opened my door to peek at the line on the pavement and the parking brake engaged.

Not sure if it would also auto-engage simply if the engine is running but parked ("P") when you open the door.
Mine works this same way.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Audi introduced this "feature" in early US MY2013 C7s and due to customer complaints, later that model year, removed the behavior at the factory. The OP has a 2013 so that might explain why he's posting.