A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed on tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ejmeier
Okay, just got back from the shop. Since it was pretty chilly this morning, sure enough, they couldn't really get it to act up like it did in warmer weather. They said once it may have felt a bit of a jerk when downshifting from 2nd to 1st, but very minor. They also said that the reverse still seemed very strong and solid, which was good.

So, they pretty much told me to leave it as is. To change the filter and fluid would've been like $700 - $800, which I'm thinking I could probably do myself if it's that much.

Anyway, they seemed to be of the opinion that the transmission was bound to fail eventually, and that paying to have the fluid and filter changed would only be a waste of money. They mentioned something about wear from clutch packs getting into the fluid, and how if I changed to clean fluid which would be thinner, it might actually accelerate the problem.

I know ZF specifies changing the fluid, but Audi doesn't. What I'm wondering is: does the mechanic's story make sense? I mean, I don't want to be some **** retentive guy who changes the fluid just because it looks "icky." Bottom line, I just want to do whatever prolongs the need to get the transmission rebuilt/replaced for as long as possible. If, for some reason, it will last longer with thicker, nasty fluid in there, then I've got no problem leaving it in.
I did mine at about 100K miles, mostly out of curiosity (under $200 with all the right stuff...brand of filter makes little difference, so long as it fits and the pickup is not too long) ...just wanted to look in there...and had a little of the occasional hard downshift to 1st gear (1 out 10 downshifts, maybe).

If I had it do over, I would have pumped the old ATF back in and gone with the new filter only (always a good idea), but had 8 liters of new stuff on hand already...old ATF still had good color, smell and no shavings on the magnets...BUT the filter was apparently a bit constricted, since the hard downshift went away mostly (only once in a blue moon now).

IMHO, if you find burnt fluid and lotsa shavings on the magnets, yes your trans is probably shot anyway and on borrowed time. I believe, by simple logic, new ATF at that time will simply speed up the transmission's eventual demise. For much the same reason that a simple drain and refill (without changing the filter) is a stupid move...new detergents in the new ATF will clean up more deposits and send straight to an already partially restricted old filter...bad move. By the same logic, new ATF detergents can clean off beneficial deposits acting as friction aids on otherwise worn (near failure?) clutches in the trans. This makes sense to me and many others who have reported total failure shortly after service on trans's with burnt fluid and lotsa shavings....coincidence? ...I'm prone not to think so...failures of anything shortly after service point me to believe "bad idea" or incorrectly performed service.

Cheers

Last edited by silverd2; 10-29-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silverd2
This makes sense to me and many others who have reported total failure shortly after service on trans's with burnt fluid and lotsa shavings....coincidence? ...I'm prone not to think so...failures of anything shortly after service point me to believe "bad idea" or incorrectly performed service.
This made me think of something, I'm not sure how often it occurs. I heard of it when reading about doing the procedure on an RS6. The problem is with the filters: due to differences between the A8 and RS6 transmissions, there are a few different sizes to the pickup tubes that sit down in the bottom of the pan and draw in fluid. If the wrong filter for the transmission was ordered you could have one with the longer tube being matched to transmission pan that was too shallow and shortly after replacing you'd have catastrophic failure I can't remember who was in the habit of measuring the depth of the pickup tube and cutting it if too long. I wonder how many times that has been the reason for a demise of a 5HP24. This would certainly be "incorrectly performed service".
Old 11-06-2014, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
I did mine at about 100K miles, mostly out of curiosity (under $200 with all the right stuff...brand of filter makes little difference, so long as it fits and the pickup is not too long)
And now that I read more carefully I see Silver already mentioned that. Whoops. Sorry for the duplicate post.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, I took it to a different shop today and had the filter and fluid changed (for much less than the $700 mentioned by the other shop). He said there wasn't any metal shavings in the pan, but the fluid smelled burnt.

On the drive home, the symptoms persisted, and maybe got a little bit worse. I guess all that's left at this point is to drive it till it dies...