A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 S8 engine cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mooshman2001S8
I hope it's just the pump cause I only got 2.8 volts at the connector when I switch the ignition on. I have also checked the crank position sensor and it measures OK, 875 ohms, which is what SILVERD2s info suggested it would.

Cheers.
Mooshman
The pump only receives full voltage while the engine is turning (starter engaged or running) thanks to a correctly working engine speed sensor ("crank position..")....so, normal.

Otherwise, the pump only gets full voltage for the 1st two seconds the 1st time the key is turned to ignition (priming)...and only on the 1st try. To achieve another 2 seconds of prime (without cranking), the key must be removed, doors locked & unlocked again...this makes the circuit "believe" it's the 1st try again.

Cheers
Old 07-03-2015, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Gord, can't find your post anywhere, can you copy and paste on here pls.
Just replaced the fuel pump on on the housing (weird design) and I'm waiting for the pretzel looking gasket to arrive from the States. Too replace that gasket it seems that one has to file back the little plastic flanges that hold it in place. Is that correct? Anyway I pulled my pump apart to see what had failed and found that the commutator had warned away and brushes were OK. it was so warn that the end pieces had broken off and jammed the motor so every time I had put power to it to test it the brush housing had started to melt. I thought usually the brushes were meant to wear. Strange!
I'm not looking forward to replacing the housing back into the tank, seems like a **** fight and I have nearly a full tank. I think I should empty some of it. Any suggestions?
Cheers
Mooshman
Old 07-03-2015, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mooshman2001S8
Hi Gord, can't find your post anywhere, can you copy and paste on here pls.
Just replaced the fuel pump on on the housing (weird design) and I'm waiting for the pretzel looking gasket to arrive from the States. Too replace that gasket it seems that one has to file back the little plastic flanges that hold it in place. Is that correct? Anyway I pulled my pump apart to see what had failed and found that the commutator had warned away and brushes were OK. it was so warn that the end pieces had broken off and jammed the motor so every time I had put power to it to test it the brush housing had started to melt. I thought usually the brushes were meant to wear. Strange!
I'm not looking forward to replacing the housing back into the tank, seems like a **** fight and I have nearly a full tank. I think I should empty some of it. Any suggestions?
Cheers
Mooshman
Here ya go >>> quattroworld.com Forums: Fuel Pump follow-up from a few postings below...
Old 07-17-2015, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Got the beast going last weekend. I got the pump from europa parts ( arrived in OZ in 5 days) a week before that but waited for the gaskets to arrive from ECS tuning. No such luck. They use USPS to send orders overseas which are pathetic. It took a month to get here. Anyway, I got inpatient and could not wait for the gasket so I reinstalled the pump housing without replacing it. Not too hard a job due to the videos people have posted on youtube. I started first go and I was glad to know that was the problem. I tried to run the fuel down to below 1/4 tank but had to refill today. I decided to take a quick three hour drive to my mates farm for the weekend but had to turn back after 20 mins of driving. The dirt roads near his place had a foot of snow and fallen trees every 100 mts.
Anyway thanks to all of you who pitched in with your two bobs worth, specially you Silver.
Mooshman
Old 07-17-2015, 05:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good news Mooshman! I ran mine down until the low fuel warning came on so I'm confident that it want back in correctly. thanks Silver for posting my link.

gordo
Old 07-18-2015, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

G'day Mooshman from a fellow Aussie!
Had a drama with my own fuel pump shortly after buying my S8 (2001 like yours). If you're interested you can read about my dramas here!
As in your case I got a bunch of good advice from the likes of Sam (silverd2) and Brian (Brian72CT) which helped with diagnosis.
You've probably found OzAudi by now. Including me, I can only think of one other D2 owner and he doesn't contribute much, so you're right in thinking there's not much going on there for our cars.
It used to be a great forum for B5, B6 and 8L Audi's (to be fair it's still pretty good for those models), but has recently started becoming the "8V S3" forum! Popularity I suppose!
Best resources for the D2 chassis are here, QW and the UK based A8parts (which you would hope from the name!).
A number of the same blokes frequent here and QW, and are very helpful and knowledgeable.

Being in Melbourne, I'm not exactly local, but I'll help you where I can, particularly for parts resources down here.

P.S. How's this "Antarctic Vortex" or whatever they're calling it! Snow on the South East Queensland highlands... Wow! Normally lucky if we get a foot of snow on Kosciuszko!!

Last edited by twentysevenlitres; 07-18-2015 at 03:47 PM.