Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A8 / S8 > A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
Account #: 91663

Default new brakes are WHISTLING!!!

i put new front brakes onto the A8 last week (wagner's thermo quiet series) ... yes i did it myself...

at first everything seemed well, then 2dayz later they start make this low pitched whisling sound, not a squeal nor grind but a whistle, and not during hard braking, mainly with light brake pedal pressure and speeds below 25mph.... very annoying, comes right through the car like it's in the car compartment itself

the rotors were not replaced, they seemed fine, maybe slightly low on tolerance, but acceptible (i think)

it's been a little wet the last 2days so the whisle is somewhat hushed right now, but when it's dry, yikes it's distrubing and loud

any ideas??? how do i kill the whistle??
------------------------------
roughyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:52 PM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 96745

Default give it time-try speeding then hard brakeing a few times

Old 01-12-2007, 06:26 AM   #3
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 22012

Default Most likely it's the pad material

I have had problems like that with my car....that is why I always use OEM compounds for the streets.

You can try what you want, but you'll probably have to replace the pads with a different compound to prevent the whistling or in my case it was like a resonance frequency vibration squeal.....

PaulW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:58 AM   #4
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 60058

Default did you follow the directions for the pads on BEDDING IN THE BRAKES?

first try getting it up to about 60mph then stop hard, repeat 3-4 times then cool them off by driving home, using the brakes as little as possible. If that dosent work, you might try getting your rotors "turned" aka. smoothed down. Any avg. brake service center can do that i would think. Good luck

D2 Wheel Gallery

D3 Wheel Gallery
KYNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2008, a4, applied, audi, auto, b6, brake, brakes, coming, rabbit, squeal, tdi, thermoquiets, whistle, whistling