A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling motor and tranny, things I should do

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling motor and tranny, things I should do

Hey all, first post here.

I have a 2002 A8L with a transmission stuck in 5th gear, so I am pulling the motor and trans. I am looking for things I can be proactive and fix while they are out. So far I am going to:

Fix trans
Oil cooler tube
Considering timing belt

I have seen something somewhere about pulling the secondary air stuff and blocking off the holes in the motor. I have Vagcom software, if this throws an error can I use that software to clear it?

Anything else I should do while everything is out?
Old 01-31-2016, 12:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've pulled the secondary air from mine, but not put the engine back in yet. I'm going to have a play with the coding when it is back in to see if setting it to Euro3 emissions specs instead of Euro4 makes it not care. If not then the ECU will need remapping to not throw error codes and CEL.

Timing belt and water pump are worth doing while it's out, as are cam cover gaskets. Can't think of much else tbh.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

I'd consider all four O2 sensors, engine mounts and transmission mounts. With all the work you're doing, timing belt would be wise unless it was done with-in the last 20,000 miles and you know only quality parts (water pump & t-belt) were used.

Sounds like you'll be getting to know your D2 a little better.

Good luck.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, if you have the facilities (ie a lift), consider taking the whole lot out of the bottom complete with the subframe. I took just the engine and gearbox out from the top and it was a right pain, particularly getting the downpipes off the manifolds and getting the transmission mount brackets off the studs on the mounts. As I'm changing the control arms at the same time the subframe and suspension is now off anyway so I'll put it back as a complete assembly. I'll build it all up on a trolley, roll it in to position and lower the car on to it.

If you pull the subframe you do need the alignment pins to get it back in the right place though. Or, at least mark carefully where it was before you take it off.

I'm not changing my O2 sensors since they're all working fine, but I am definitely going to make sure they're not seized while the downpipes are off
Old 02-01-2016, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Good thoughts all, thank you!

I had a 2 post lift I got in a trade but I got rid of it after I did the head gaskets and studs on my excursion. I'm thinking I should have kept it.

O2 sensors are good, the car runs great for 170,000 miles, it just won't move forward very well, but I will pull those sensors and make sure they are not seized up. Might as well do the water pump, mounts, and cam gaskets as well.

Keep those ideas coming please, I've wanted one of these cars for a long time. There is another one locally for $800 that is in better shape than the one I have and has the same tranny problem as mine, I'm thinking about picking it up and fixing it as well, I have 4 kids rapidly getting to driving age.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Breather hoses, particularly the rear, will be easier while the motor is out. (If I were doing this, which I might be soon, I would take good measurements and replace them with a malleable metal instead of $100 rubber that will fall apart in another 8 or 10 years.)

The oil cooler has a little plastic coolant pipe that you can replace with aluminum & o-rings for a few bucks.

The timing chain tensioner pads are plastic - they wear out with age.

A fresh set of valve cover gaskets will only take a few minutes.

The power steering hoses tend to go out, and you might want to take a look at the seals on the steering rack while you have it down.

This is a great thread - I'd like to have a checklist for reconditioning the D2 A8 - love the cars, but they will nickel and dime you to death if you don't handle all the problems at once.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yup, this is kind of turning into a checklist, I haven't seen one floating around yet so I'll update the original post when I start the job.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do the timing belt. My thermostat stuck shut at ~170k necessitating a timing belt job.