A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02510 - Steering Column Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02510 - Steering Column Adjustment

Hi guys,

Having some trouble with my steering column adjustment which has stopped working.

A friend ran VCDS on my car and this is what it shows. The error does not clear:

Address 09: Cent. Elect. Labels: 4E0-910-279.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 4E0 910 279 A HW: 4E0 907 279 A
Component and/or Version: ILM Fahrer H11 0070
Software Coding: 0010001
Work Shop Code: WSC 02311 785 00200
Additional Info: 4E2910113 Wischer WWS D3 H30 0310
Additional Info: Geraet 00200
VCID: 2649873CE87C
1 Fault Found:

02510 - Steering Column Adjustment
014 - Defective
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101110
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 71
Reset counter: 159
Mileage: 97606 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2012.11.11
Time: 04:08:22

When I purchased the car (beginning of November) the steering column adjustment worked absolutely fine - there were no strange noises and the column did not struggle to move. I think the date shown in the error is pretty accurate. My electric memory seats work perfectly on the driver and passenger side. Everything else in the car works fine.

I have done my best to look under the seat and see if there are any loose plugs/connectors but all seems to be connected. I'm HOPING the cable connecting to the steering column motors has come loose/off?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello,

I`m having this same issue, same error code in VCDS. Unable to adjust the position of the wheel, and this sucks because it's stuck in the opposite of how I normally set it.

Unfortunately, I think I've caused this myself... Don't ask why, but the round adjustment button was pressed while starting the car. I think this must have burned something...?

Have checked all the fuses on both sides of the car... all ok. The fuses at the rear I haven't checked yet.

@suj85; How was your issue solved?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stefman
I`m having this same issue, same error code in VCDS.
Defective = dead, replace

Unfortunately this is one of the infamous Audi "assemblies", which means entire steering column and immobilizer (kessy) if memory serves.
K9COP has a thread here somewhere with the same issue that might give you some insight.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
Defective = dead, replace
That doesn't sound good.
I will look into it, and have it replaced if there's no other way...

Thanks for your reply.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
K9COP has a thread here somewhere with the same issue that might give you some insight.
I figure this must be the thread you're referring to:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...witch-2835645/
Old 12-15-2014, 07:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, good news for me...

I have ran the basic setting for 09 - Central Electric, and it works again! The fault code is no longer present and adjustment is working perfectly.

For anyone running into this issue; I would recomend running the basic setting first.

So happy I didn't order the collumn yet

Last edited by Stefman; 12-15-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Well, my steering column adjustment has been down for a while now as well. I knew a few members here and done the Basic setting for (09) but I could never find any documentation on what to do. I've been in (09) basic settings before but could not figure it out how to do it.

With some inspiration here with this thread, I thought I would give it another go. Not sure if this is correct but this is how I got mine to work. I went into control Module 09 Cent Electric and went to basic setting. For channel 1, hit go. Then on the next screen, located on the top there is a on/off button. Hit the on/off button and the column will go in, out, up, and down. Once this is measured, it started working. Now you have to wait since between range measurements, like 5 seconds between each movement. I did not realize this delay so I had to do it several times and I finally figured it out. Hope this helps.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

. I went into control Module 09 Cent Electric and went to basic setting. For channel 1, hit go. Then on the next screen, located on the top there is a on/off button. Hit the on/off button and the column will go in, out, up, and down. Once this is measured, it started working. Now you have to wait since between range measurements, like 5 seconds between each movement. I did not realize this delay so I had to do it several times and I finally figured it out. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]
This good to know. Never adjusted the steering wheel in mine. It is set the same as when it rolled off the car hauler a year ago.
Going to try to adjust it, may calibrate it too. If it is not broke, fix it.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TSHong
With some inspiration here with this thread, I thought I would give it another go. Not sure if this is correct but this is how I got mine to work. I went into control Module 09 Cent Electric and went to basic setting. For channel 1, hit go. Then on the next screen, located on the top there is a on/off button. Hit the on/off button and the column will go in, out, up, and down. Once this is measured, it started working. Now you have to wait since between range measurements, like 5 seconds between each movement. I did not realize this delay so I had to do it several times and I finally figured it out. Hope this helps.
That is exactly what I did, maybe I should have been more specific and explained the steps performed. Thanks for that

I hope more people will benefit from this.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Stefman
That is exactly what I did, maybe I should have been more specific and explained the steps performed. Thanks for that

I hope more people will benefit from this.
I'm just glad I figured it out. I went through Alldata and there were no explanations for this procedure. I think most cases can be resolved by 09 Basic Settings.

Quick Reply: 02510 - Steering Column Adjustment