A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 D3 4.2 secondary air Monitor not set. Need SMOG

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 10:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 585 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by supersam
@ Richard; Thanks for the PM, I pm'd you back.

@Mp4.2: Good advice. i will check into this. The drivers side combo hose is easy to get to so I may start off with that and hopefully get lucky. The passenger side is buried behind a bunch of stuff; but great advice. I will try this.

An idea crossed my mind today, and that was to tap into the secondary air power, and leave it running in the morning for longer than usual while monitoring my IM readiness; maybe it just needs to stay on for a little longer to get it set. Any thoughts on this?

Again, thank you for everyone who has helped. If anyone has a 63 AMG mercedes and is stuck on something, i'm your guy. I've rebuilt my motor more than once from screwing around with a supercharger and tune LOL>
The codes you see for it often talk about things like insufficient flow from one side or other, so I don't think it is as simple as run time. Theory of system is to pump extra air in along with more fuel to allow secondary combustion post cylinder and heat the cats more quickly. A combo of both air and fuel in terms of how it works, and a guess is if O2's don't see it right in this phase, you get the codes. Also combi valves are cycled hot in a self check IIRC to be sure EGR portion is also working.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright,

here's an update. THis morning, i started the car with leads tapped into the air pump and my scanner with live data monitoring the car; primarily monitoring coolant temp and air pump command. I had the air pump running on its own for about 70 seconds, and as soon as the coolant temp hit 50c, the air pump command went to off, which is when i immediately applied my outside power source to the air pump. Well,,,, about 5 minutes of the pump running like a champ, I got 2 codes (insufficient air flow to both banks). I honestly don't think i would have ever got these codes without running the pump for an extended period of time. So i guess it needs an air pump. Odd thing is; this thing was blowing like a leaf blower with the plug disconnected; maybe a new one would be slightly stronger. I'll continue to keep the forums updated in the event someone else has this same issue in the future.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 585 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by supersam
Alright,

here's an update. THis morning, i started the car with leads tapped into the air pump and my scanner with live data monitoring the car; primarily monitoring coolant temp and air pump command. I had the air pump running on its own for about 70 seconds, and as soon as the coolant temp hit 50c, the air pump command went to off, which is when i immediately applied my outside power source to the air pump. Well,,,, about 5 minutes of the pump running like a champ, I got 2 codes (insufficient air flow to both banks). I honestly don't think i would have ever got these codes without running the pump for an extended period of time. So i guess it needs an air pump. Odd thing is; this thing was blowing like a leaf blower with the plug disconnected; maybe a new one would be slightly stronger. I'll continue to keep the forums updated in the event someone else has this same issue in the future.
Actually still not completely clear, but a likely. And maybe you just want to be done or smog check deadline in your face. BTDT. If so BTW, besides fast ship from on line dealer like audiusaparts.com in Portland Oregon, OES for pump is likely Pierburg. Then knowing that you can get OE quality for less than even discounted dealer via AutohausAZ (two days to Bay Area for me usually, though late week is harder w/ UPS, etc.), RockAuto and sometimes Amazon.

Again though, also look for anything that causes issues system wide/both heads ("banks"). Clogged or kinked hose issues on intake side of pump can do it. Any vacuum switching that controls both valves (like it did on my C5 4.2) can do it, etc. Unlikely, but I suppose even a horrendously clogged main air filter (or crap in hose intake for it inside box...) could do it since it first gets its air from there.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-21-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My guess is that the blower is fine but either the plumbing or the sensor is defective.