A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Audi A8 3.2L V6 Petrol FWD

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 06:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Audi A8 3.2L V6 Petrol FWD

Hi there,

I've been an owner of an 06 Audi A8 FWD model for a bit now, though it wasnt in perfect knick when I bought it, I still love it to bits.

However, over the past couple of weeks the car has been acting strange and its got me worried.

For starters, when I bought the car, it had a weird thumping noise come from the front end, now I know that solid axles are a thing of the past and all Audi's come with fully independant suspension but the thump honestly feels like there is a solid axle up front and it almost moves off its housing and then settle sback in again everytime I acclerate from lower speeds or a standstill. I apoligize if that doesnt make much sense but it feels as if there is something in the front end that moves from its housing and then drops back into place whrn I accelerate.

Moreover, today this became quite severe, even under normal acceleration, the steering wheel became quite stiff and the dashboard is giving a parking brake malfunction warning light.

I've been told various things regarding this thump, everything from the engine/gearbox mount failure to an airsuspension malfunction, not quite sure what to believe since I am unaware of a trust worthy Audi mechanic here in Kuwait, I dont wish to take my car to the local dealership because their charges are thru the roof.

Other little things that have also started to happen include.

1. Vibration; when you start the car, it vibrates, this vibration can be felt only in the steering wheel pretty much and most of the exterior front end, it would be quite moderate for a an old toyota but odd coming from an Audi A8 thats barely done 87k kilometers.

2. When I start the car after it has been parked over night, the rpm needle will dip to idle (700 to 800 rpm) straight away and not remain over 1000 for a while like most normal cars that I have owned, not quite sure if thats a problem though.

3. The vibration increases when I turn the AirCon on, and the rpms dip for a second before going back to idle,

4. The readout on the dashboard now wont show me what gear I'm on, it just shows the entire row as yellow.

5. The LCD monitot motor wont stop when the LCD has fully open, hence the gears grind for about 2 to 3 seconds.

I'm just surprised that all these things have comeup all at once.

I hope you guys get what I'm trying to say.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the board!

You have to find a good mechanic or start learning very fast. Otherwise that car will kill your budget . For the beginning buy Ross-Tech VCDS. It is absolutely necessary tool. Without it you can't even ask right questions. Until than try few things that should be done anyways:

Thump wise, what you have done about engine/transmission mounts? There is no point asking if you are not going to try to follow advice. Any mechanic can check them. Also check front upper suspension links (bushings). They can make sounds too, depending on how bad they are.

1. Vibration wise, before VCDS arrives replace spark plugs. Once you have it scan will tell if it is misfiring and which cylinder.

2. Don't worry about idling.

3. That's normal. Additional load makes idling rougher. When you fix it, probably misfire, it will be OK.

4. VCDS scan is only thing I can recommend.

5. You need to replace gears in that mechanism. Check my signature and PM me if you decide to fix it.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

+1
Old 10-20-2014, 11:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Welcome to the board!

You have to find a good mechanic or start learning very fast. Otherwise that car will kill your budget . For the beginning buy Ross-Tech VCDS. It is absolutely necessary tool. Without it you can't even ask right questions. Until than try few things that should be done anyways:

Thump wise, what you have done about engine/transmission mounts? There is no point asking if you are not going to try to follow advice. Any mechanic can check them. Also check front upper suspension links (bushings). They can make sounds too, depending on how bad they are.

1. Vibration wise, before VCDS arrives replace spark plugs. Once you have it scan will tell if it is misfiring and which cylinder.

2. Don't worry about idling.

3. That's normal. Additional load makes idling rougher. When you fix it, probably misfire, it will be OK.

4. VCDS scan is only thing I can recommend.

5. You need to replace gears in that mechanism. Check my signature and PM me if you decide to fix it.
Hi Mishar!,

Thanks for the reply!. I'm hoping the fix is as easy as you say it is.

There are a couple more issues and a couple of new warning lights that popped up, I dunno if I can uploa photos on to this site via mobile phone but one light is basically on the rpm gauge, its a traiangle with an arrow going around it anti clockwise in a circle and the other light that is on is the ABS warning light on the speedo.

Along with all of this, the steering wheel has become quite stiff, as if something had gone wrong with the steering pump, there is plenty of oil in the black reservior for the steering wheel pump, the fan belt is intact as well.

Any ideas?. I'll be taking the car over to a mechanics over the weekend.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

As I said, without VCDS scan all would be guessing and guessing is very expensive on this cars.