A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8l W12 DIY air strut repair?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 03:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8l W12 DIY air strut repair?

Hi All,

I am currently trying to figure out whether it's feasible to repair my own leaking air suspension, rather than be held to ransom by the stealers.

I believe the leak is coming from the inlet valve on the front RHS strut (see image) the rear stays elevated just fine. The question is whether it is really a doable job to replace the valve myself, rather than start the ball rolling with the main dealer (only option here - no independants) who will no doubt insist that all the struts AND compressor need to be replaced - even though I know they don't!

After some judicious use of jacking mode, kerb corners, various pieces of wood and some ingenuity, I finally managed to get the car raised with the system active to have a look.

Having sprayed on soapy water, the only place I can see bubbles coming from is the red circle - which I believe is the inlet valve? Anyone know how easy it would be to replace just the valve?

Name:  leak.jpg
Views: 3586
Size:  98.1 KB
Old 01-16-2012, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Per Audi and Conti/Teves, you cannot just replace that. I had a leak is the same spot and had to replace the strut (they call it a damper) assembly.

You could try a big, or a couple of big hose clamps connected to each other to clamp the inlet to the strut tower to try and save time & money..... Maybe it will at least stall the inevitible.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Has anyone dealt with this company which offers Audi air suspension struts?
http://www.arnottindustries.com/
Old 01-16-2012, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

As a last ditch, you could clean the area really well, and JB-Weld it. Probably wouldnt be pretty, but good chance it would work. Remove the airline first, so the pressure doesnt push out the JB weld while its curing.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bangerla
As a last ditch, you could clean the area really well, and JB-Weld it. Probably wouldnt be pretty, but good chance it would work. Remove the airline first, so the pressure doesnt push out the JB weld while its curing.
I second this. The strut is either going to work or it's not so you're not going to do any further damage if this doesn't work. Put a bead of JB weld around that and I bet you're good to go, assuming that is indeed your leak.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the help - can't get JB weld here but have tried a similar product. Will report back tomorrow when it's had time to cure.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gdaniel
Has anyone dealt with this company which offers Audi air suspension struts?
http://www.arnottindustries.com/
I contacted them when my strut failed.

Their official response was that the "A8 strut replacements have not been released to the aftermarket sellers yet due to Audi contracts". They then went on to say that this was to occur "sometime in 2012".

They actually had the part on their site which is what prompted me to chase them directly. Upon writing to them, they were surprised to hear that it was on their site and that they would remove it. Interestingly, they sell a replacement strut for the Allroad...
Old 01-17-2012, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Well now on their site they have 4 different struts under the A8 section. Also says lifetime guarantee..?
Old 01-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've now emailed them for details......let you know.

Tried to epoxy the leak yesterday which was partly successful - the system now switches on (until the compressor overheats and shuts off), the suspension rises but the leak is still there - whether from the same spot or not, I'll have to look later to see.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
Well now on their site they have 4 different struts under the A8 section. Also says lifetime guarantee..?
That's absolutely sensational news! That means that the Audi contract is over and they can retail them. From my point of view, they are 1/10th (yes, 1/10th!!) of the price that Audi Aust charged me in April last year.

One less massive cost impost to worry about now!

Quick Reply: A8l W12 DIY air strut repair?