A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS control module defective?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 10:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Ok, well a recent thread on here with similar symptoms ended up being a corroded ABS module wiring loom. Look it up, and see how that works out.
will do, thanks for the insight!
Old 03-21-2015, 05:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i can't believe this is happening hahahahah
i replaced the module last night and everything was going smoothly. the new one was showing
no more defective module error anymore. i was running an output test on the ABS module on
the vagcom and it crashed midway through... after the error is back and won't go away again.
arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

now, i was trying this procedure on VCDS wiki in regards to this problem, but i want to make sure
i'm doing it the right way.

it says -

When found in Audi A8/S8 (4E): Audi A8 (4E) Brake Electronics, this Fault Code may have been stored after performing an Output Test in the
Brake Electronics Control Module w/o following the proper Instructions. To clear this Fault Code, please perform/repeat the following Steps 3 (THREE) times:

Switch the Ignition OFF for 5 Seconds, then Switch it ON again.
Clear Fault Codes in Brake Electronics Control Module.

so is it key on, key off three times
erase code three times

OR

key on, key off
erase code
then repeat three times?
Old 03-21-2015, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by laychooba
To clear this Fault Code, please perform/repeat the following Steps 3 (THREE) times:

Switch the Ignition OFF for 5 Seconds, then Switch it ON again.
Clear Fault Codes in Brake Electronics Control Module.

so is it key on, key off three times
erase code three times

OR

key on, key off
erase code
then repeat three times?
Neither. It is:

1. key OFF for 5 seconds, than key ON, clear codes

2. key OFF for 5 seconds, than key ON, clear codes

3. key OFF for 5 seconds, than key ON, clear codes
Old 03-21-2015, 07:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Neither. It is:

1. key OFF for 5 seconds, than key ON, clear codes

2. key OFF for 5 seconds, than key ON, clear codes

3. key OFF for 5 seconds, than key ON, clear codes
everytime i turn the key off, the vagcom disconnects though - it'll kick me out of the
controller and then i gotta go back in.

i'll try it again today. i feel i've tried every combo and it doesn't work.

thanks!
Old 03-21-2015, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

I seem to remember posts here staring that running output tests on the ABS module can brick it. Fairly sure a couple of folk here learned that the hard way. Hope you're not another
Old 03-21-2015, 09:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
I seem to remember posts here staring that running output tests on the ABS module can brick it. Fairly sure a couple of folk here learned that the hard way. Hope you're not another
ughhhhhhhh god, i hope not.
that's what i'm wondering. i don't know if maybe there's a way to reflash it or something.
the vagcom can still connect to it and read errors and whatnot, just always telling me module defective.
esp/abs light on and parking brake doesn't work though.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

ughhhhhhhh god, i hope not.
that's what i'm wondering. i don't know if maybe there's a way to reflash it or something.
the vagcom can still connect to it and read errors and whatnot, just always telling me module defective.
esp/abs light on and parking brake doesn't work though.
Read and heed:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-read-2877219/

There are several posts and threads in the D3 forum here that cite examples of ruining the D3 ABS module. Searching and reading these threads can save you time & money.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Guess you didn't find my posts...including RIGHT HERE

yes, i know how to internet. thanks.
i went through almost everything and didn't find anything that was specific bricking an ABS pump
by running an output test.
Oops...

For the record I have only posted on this like about six times at least. Might want to work on the search ideas. And yes, I've had that sense before on your posts to be direct. Honestly, why I had kind of moved on from this thread, my AW technical issues/change aside.

But wait, there's more. Look right in this very thread. Go to #4--my reply to you from 03-02-2015 05:36 PM, which you even then commented on. That was "direct experience", not internet hearsay. As it said:
"3. Did you run the self test for ABS in VCDS? If not, do NOT in any early diagnostic phase. It can blow it up from my experience. But if you did, also fess up. I ask because you talk about trying to recode it."
Another variant of this was in my #7 reply from 03-07-2015 01:20 PM, also below:
I would only do it via direct service procedure confirmation myself and with the Bentley I have, would not rely on other posts that are not 100% validated first person successful experience specific to a D3, and definitely not a D2, C5, C6, B whatever.
I would hope you didn't miss my pretty stern warnings there, starting with the caption "...Feeling Lucky..." I don't post that stuff--even in the headline--to be a jerk when I think someone is headed into dangerous waters and not heeding advice.

Thus, consonant with what other posters were also cautioning and with what is posted both on AW and in this very thread. Seems like you ignored both, and the underlying advice about the manual. That was maybe $100; if you can't come up with another used one (itself way over $100), I thought these parts were some outlandish price like $3,000.

Might not kill it 100% of the time, and it might be it basically just gives it the last rites when it is already essentially kaputt, but first person I saw the nominal cause and effect. Unfortunately it also shows the ultimate limits of even VCDS/VAG COM in areas where others have not reported clear paths in less common areas.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-21-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

hahaha yeah, i gotta admit that did sound very a-holey. sorry about that to mister bally.

i've just been reading so many posts and searching that i've been overwhelmed with information.
the past two months have been kind of tough with this car and i'm starting to get frustrated. maybe i'm
not ready for it.

i'll try and post more according the guidelines in the future.

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Oops...

For the record I have only posted on this like about six times at least. Might want to work on the search ideas. And yes, I've had that sense before on your posts to be direct. Honestly, why I had kind of moved on from this thread, my AW technical issues/change aside.

But wait, there's more. Look right in this very thread. Go to my reply to you from 03-02-2015 05:36 PM, which you even then commented on. That was "direct experience", not internet hearsay. As it said:
"3. Did you run the self test for ABS in VCDS? If not, do NOT in any early diagnostic phase. It can blow it up from my experience. But if you did, also fess up. I ask because you talk about trying to recode it."
Thus, consonant with what other posters were also cautioning and with what is posted both on AW and in this very thread. Might not kill it 100% of the time, and it might be it basically just gives it the last rites when it is already essentially kaputt, but first person I saw the nominal cause and effect. Unfortunately it also shows the ultimate limits of even VCDS/VAG COM in areas where others have not reported clear paths in less common areas.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Eh, no offense taken. We are all just trying to help others and are finding it difficult to keep replying with initial, simple fact-finding questions which consumes a lot of time.

I'm a former Scirocco owner as I see you have/had a Gen II version. Actually had two identical (only the factory radio ***** were different) 1980 Alpine White Scirocco S vehicles. One was totalled after ten months so I got an identical replacement. The '81's were out but they actually detuned the horsepower a bit to improve fuel economy and I wanted none of that.

The photo was taken in front of the defunct VW Westmoreland County Rabbit/Golf assembly plant in New Stanton, Pennsylvania. At the time VW's only US plant. It ten closed and there was none as they started to create one in the carcass of a never finished Chrysler plant near Detroit. They halted it in mid-construction.

I sure miss that car.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mister Bally; 03-21-2015 at 06:31 PM.

Quick Reply: ABS control module defective?