A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air suspension compressor didn't stop.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension compressor didn't stop.

Hi!

So I have searched the forums and luckily I have read about this problem before I now got it myself(Thanks guys!).

Situation: When I was out driving there was a noise still coming from the car after parking. It came from the left side just in front of the left wheel. I got home quickly to get tools and disconnect the battery. (It took 20 minutes to get home). It did have a yellow light on earlier (suspension) this same day that dissapaired after I stopped the car a few hours earlier. Just when I started the car on my way home there was a short 2-3 second loud noise from the engine-bay(possibly compressor or something related?). There is no change in rideheight and the idle-sound before disconnecting the battery was just the same as when I first heard it(no loud noise).

Now the car is in the driveway and I have been looking for a 40A/12V relay to change it myself tomorrow. Is there anything I should do except for changing the relay and what relay should I look for?

I have found good guides for both changing the compressor(if needed) and for changing the relay. I hope the relay is gonna be enough doh. It's a W12.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Most of those other threads have all of your answers. You have to decide if your compressor is still good, needs replacement or a possible internal repair. Standard automotive (electrical, mechanical and pneumatic) troubleshooting techniques are required.

Having a service manual and VCDS is assumed. Although since there are so many threads that discuss the ECAS (Electronically Controlled Air Suspension), you might be able to get by without a manual for this. That said, I recommend you have the manual.

Also, you have read this I presume: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-read-2877219/
Old 05-24-2015, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Bally!

Yes, I have read the sticker and gone through lots of posts. Actually I have read the posts before and that's why I got home fairly quick to cut the power and save the compressor(If relay). I guess my main question is probably if the new relay could be something like this one? Relä - Enkel 12V 40A - Laitis AB
Old 05-24-2015, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Relay part #

Originally Posted by blankhopp
Thanks Bally!

Yes, I have read the sticker and gone through lots of posts. Actually I have read the posts before and that's why I got home fairly quick to cut the power and save the compressor(If relay). I guess my main question is probably if the new relay could be something like this one? Relä - Enkel 12V 40A - Laitis AB
Current part # should be 4H0 951 253A. Search Google images and you can see lots of pictures of it. The one I got has the "645" number stenciled on it with some white laser type printing. What I got a few months ago for my 2006 W12. In US they are very cheap, like <$20 U.S. from a discounted dealer. Here is a thread w/ pics BTW: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-fuse-2835590/
Old 05-24-2015, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Current part # should be 4H0 951 253A. Search Google images and you can see lots of pictures of it. The one I got has the "645" number stenciled on it with some white laser type printing. What I got a few months ago for my 2006 W12. In US they are very cheap, like <$20 U.S. from a discounted dealer. Here is a thread w/ pics BTW: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-fuse-2835590/
Thank you! I have just ordered one relay and will get it in two days. It was priced at $20+mail. A bargain! Now I just need to wait for it and install to see if it will fix the issue at hand.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Only problem now is that I managed to close the trunk with the battery disconnected. So I guess I have no alternatives?

I am gonna have to cut a hole to fit my new skibag! I don't like this! lol
Old 05-25-2015, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

You can open it manually with the key....
Old 05-25-2015, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
You can open it manually with the key....
Ok. Please pass me the permanent marker so I can write stupid in my forehead! I just got a bit ahead of myself there. Didn't work at first but after adding lots of 5-56(oil), luckily I got the trunk open and the battery connected. Someone should start a threat with images on how to open the trunk of an A8 with a key. Or, atleast a "audiworld for dummies"-section? LOL
Old 05-26-2015, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

To follow this up: Fixed it, and now working as normal.
1. Order new relay (+fuse if necessary).
2. Remove interior trim, left and right side of steeringwheel.
3. Remove 6 torx-screws.
4. Flip the cover down.
5. Change relay.
6. Put it together.

As a tool to remove the interior-trim I used a plastic butter-knife. Perfect for the job! Don't have the partnumber for that one doh.

This video really helped with location of screws and relay.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Again, this site saves my bacon.

My relay froze up today, noticed it when I parked at the house. I immediately disconnected the battery and looked up this thread to get the right relay and find the location.

Have not cycled the pump yet, I'm hoping I caught it early enough that all is still well....

Quick Reply: Air suspension compressor didn't stop.