A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BI Xenon Bulbs/ Repair Shops/ Stealership

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default BI Xenon Bulbs/ Repair Shops/ Stealership

Hey I have a few questions....

Wondering if any members in this forum lives in the DMV area (DC-Maryland-Virginia)

I need to find a reliable and reputable repair shop in my area.

I believe it's about time to replace my driver side headlights. At times my headlight don't come on when I start up and some days it does... Thinking it's on the last leg. My question is do I need to replace both bulbs at the same time. Also is it something more than a bulb do I need to look out for?

As far as parts go other than the stealership where would you recommend to get bulbs from? I got a quote of $180 per bulb.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Yes, probably the bulb...

When you say bi-xenon, I don't know if you mean the base halogen ones, or the HID ones. By price it sounds like you mean the HID's. If it is halogen, I would just do the offending bulb. If HID, the issue is with color matching. Changing one will likely leave it looking somewhat different side to side with the other. Lesser known too is that bulbs, including HID's, loose a meaningful percentage of their lumens output over time. By 2000 hours they are worth changing brightness wise. If you do the math on an 8-10 year old car, you will likely guestimate you have accumulated a couple thousand headlight on hours.

The bulb is a D2S if HID. Widely available on eBay, Amazon and many indy sites, for as little as about 25% of dealer price. The typical problem is knowing which bulbs are actually the real McCoy's and which are counterfeit. All the sellers say their Philips' are "real," but good luck knowing for sure. There are a few internet sites I have skimmed with pic's that help you tell the supposed real ones from the fakes. Osram (Sylvania) is actually the typical bulb found in an Audi, but harder to source. FWIW, I took my best shot at figuring out what was likely legit, ordered them up, and put them in. I do it at 6-8 years on an HID Audi in general as a long term maintenance item. You have to pull the fender liner back to get at the D3 igniter and headlight bulb area if they are HID, so it is a little beyond the simple driveway headlight stuff. Some have also stumbled on how the ignitor interlocks to the bulb; there is a sort of safety catch built into it that is a little subtle to get right with the limited working and sight clearances.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-14-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks

Thanks for your input.... I do believe they're HID. They have a self leveling feature. They don't look like my DRL
Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
When you say bi-xenon, I don't know if you mean the base halogen ones, or the HID ones. By price it sounds like you mean the HID's. If it is halogen, I would just do the offending bulb. If HID, the issue is with color matching. Changing one will likely leave it looking somewhat different side to side with the other. Lesser known too is that bulbs, including HID's, loose a meaningful percentage of their lumens output over time. By 2000 hours they are worth changing brightness wise. If you do the math on an 8-10 year old car, you will likely guestimate you have accumulated a couple thousand headlight on hours.

The bulb is a D2S if HID. Widely available on eBay, Amazon and many indy sites, for as little as about 25% of dealer price. The typical problem is knowing which bulbs are actually the real McCoy's and which are counterfeit. All the sellers say their Philips' are "real," but good luck knowing for sure. There are a few internet sites I have skimmed with pic's that help you tell the supposed real ones from the fakes. Osram (Sylvania) is actually the typical bulb found in an Audi, but harder to source. FWIW, I took my best shot at figuring out what was likely legit, ordered them up, and put them in. I do it at 6-8 years on an HID Audi in general as a long term maintenance item. You have to pull the fender liner back to get at the D3 igniter and headlight bulb area if they are HID, so it is a little beyond the simple driveway headlight stuff. Some have also stumbled on how the ignitor interlocks to the bulb; there is a sort of safety catch built into it that is a little subtle to get right with the limited working and sight clearances.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, self-leveling is definite tip off they are HID's. Thus, std. D2S bulbs.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Got mine from here:
EuropaParts.com: Search results for: 'D2S'
many places to find them though
Old 10-15-2014, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do you think these are safe....

Mobile: Sylvania Hid Bulb D2S: Get best Headlight Bulb - Dual Beam at Advance Auto Parts
Old 10-15-2014, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

they should be fine, appears to have all of the stock specs, think you can do better on price if shop around though
Old 10-15-2014, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Got ya.. I'm more so concern with getting bum bulbs and having to buy them again if there are inferior
Old 10-15-2014, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Probably; seems to say OSRAM so those are OE...

OSRAM and Sylvania are now the same co. The wavelength/spectrum at 4150 also makes sense as generally OE.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Light power and longevity goes with price

Quick Reply: BI Xenon Bulbs/ Repair Shops/ Stealership