A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 11:55 PM
Engineer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aTOMic
Hey G-man, how ya been? Shamu is right, you'll have to drop the dash, which is also a good time to replace the low-$ compressor relay. And test the airbags (yellow connectors = keep away from live wires)duh.

Funny, Shamoye; that's where mine is!

Not Bentley? Use the search function in Bentley; it'll pull up lots of TSB and other (misplaced IMO) info.

A word to anyone finding this thread in the future: the switch self-adjusts to its max compressed position as you install it, and cannot be reset. So when you're unpacking the little $20 troublemaker, do not "futz" with it; if you push the plunger in and hear a ratcheting sound, it's toast. (I imagine it is fixable theoretically; my time is worth more than the 3 hours labor to rehab the switch).

Shamoye, I always want to kid you that living in NYC and driving an A8, at least you get your money's worth for the insane parking fees. My cousin lives in Manhattan and parks a half hour away. $650 a month IIRC. and she drives the car once or twice a year - to go skiing. and it's a subaru. (intentional lower case, hanging my head in shame). They probably park two "compacts" in one space and climb out the sunroof!

Peace
Tom
Ha I meant he was not looking the right place bro.... and about parking tickets I get many 3-4 parking ticket per year.... if so much.... last year I got 2 actually.... and that was just alternate parking, other than that no tickets, city probably hates me...
Old 05-26-2016, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q

Lmao at the pic...
Yeah I usually leave the door panels on but removing the other dash parts makes it easier; less laying on the floor.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:56 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aTOMic
Lmao at the pic...
Yeah I usually leave the door panels on but removing the other dash parts makes it easier; less laying on the floor.

HAHAHA....

Here is a picture to show what it is under.

There are more pictures of my build at,

My GT re-build in pictures !! - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Attached Thumbnails Brake light switch-brake-light-switch-2.jpg  
Old 05-26-2016, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Gaaaaah! Stop it!! Looking at the potential labor behind those buttery smooth panels is frightening! Now I understand why non-medical type individuals are repulsed by anatomy photos! (Not even kidding).

Last edited by aTOMic; 05-26-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Almost five years later

I looked up in manual, page 34 of brake manual. The directions say drop panel, disconnect plug, twist 1/4 turn, remove. I cannot find it.
I am a little viually impaired, but can see this clearly. Do not see anything that looks like the switch.
Never replaced the relays either, pulled on a little. How hard do you pull?

Old 02-24-2021, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Found it.

Pulleddown the duct, saw it and removed easy. The old one is a brown Audi part. Most likely original.
Can insert next one easily. But cannot twist to lock it in. The old one has a shim on pointed locking ear. But nothing under the rectangular ear. The new one has a tab under both ears.is it okay to remove one to allow locking the switch in?

Old 02-24-2021, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default i will keep fighting it

Looks like locating tab snapped off the old switch. I appears this collar rotates with the switch.