A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 07-25-2016, 01:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Changed battery and now CD Changer blank in MMI!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed battery and now CD Changer blank in MMI!

So this morning I change the battery in the A8, recoded Battery Module to a Varta with the same CCA (cant buy any actual Euro brands here..) and that was just swell, the power trunk started to work again as does the auto door proximity unlock.
However, decided to resume listening to the CD I had been listening to on the way to the shop and was surprised to find the CD Changer menu there but empty/blank of contents. No error, just blank.

Tried resetting the MMI, same thing. Ejected and inserted a CD, no change. WTH!? Any ideas?
Old 08-21-2015, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Give it a few starts to see if it settles down. After that, a VCDS scan to diagnose better.

I'm assuming you don't have AMI--that uses the CD button and then distinguishes between the AMI electronic drive/head and the CD drive. But then it either plays or you get a device not connected message.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah no AMI but got it working again. Think the problem was very centric to this car (Jap import). Basically the Audi supplied MiniDisc player was the issue. I never noticed it also disappeared.. possible when I put in the Euro (France) MMI controller with very old firmware on it. I never upgraded as when I tried this on the Jap MMI it bricked it (and I couldnt see any point now I had all English operation).

When I took out the battery I guess the car rescanned the mediaplayers connected and cant understand what the Minidisc player is. Could be MD is only supported on the Japanese firmwares or was introduced later in Europe. With the MD player disconnected but with an optical bypass in place the CD changer fires right up. So I guess I wont have MD functionality anymore! I might eBay it, its a 3 MD Changer, Audi PN but made by Kenwood.

Audi PN: 4E0 035 121
Kenwood: KMD-300/GD2

Looks like this: http://carbonus.ru/data/photo/012/100/250/081/45/01.jpg
Old 08-27-2015, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

No problem with updating the MMI now you've got a euro head unit in there. I was a tad nervous after semi-bricking the Japanese MMI, after which I could only re-flash it to a very old Euro version (1110 I think) due to the original head unit being a HW version 41. That version was so old it didn't recognise MP3 CDs or AMI and wasn't happy, much like your symptoms. When I got the replacement interfacebox I stuck the SW update cd's in and it worked a treat, even with several Japanese components still attached. The only problem was that I tried to update the Japanese K-Box software and it didn't take. Hence buying a replacement. I've got the update cd set if you need to borrow them.

I'm tempted to stick a web-page up with a comprehensive set of info about what can and can't be done with Japanese/NZ imports. The info on the web is scattered far and wide and there are plenty of folk in Auckland who seem to be charging the earth for pressing three buttons. Be nice to inform people before they make that choice.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Beena
No problem with updating the MMI now you've got a euro head unit in there. I was a tad nervous after semi-bricking the Japanese MMI, after which I could only re-flash it to a very old Euro version (1110 I think) due to the original head unit being a HW version 41. That version was so old it didn't recognise MP3 CDs or AMI and wasn't happy, much like your symptoms. When I got the replacement interfacebox I stuck the SW update cd's in and it worked a treat, even with several Japanese components still attached. The only problem was that I tried to update the Japanese K-Box software and it didn't take. Hence buying a replacement. I've got the update cd set if you need to borrow them.

I'm tempted to stick a web-page up with a comprehensive set of info about what can and can't be done with Japanese/NZ imports. The info on the web is scattered far and wide and there are plenty of folk in Auckland who seem to be charging the earth for pressing three buttons. Be nice to inform people before they make that choice.
Are you able to help me on this? trying to do some conversion on A4 and a Q5 we have but everything is japanese spec