A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Close to buying my first 2008 A8 L

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 01:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Close to buying my first 2008 A8 L

Hi all,

I'm very close to buying my very 1st A8L. The one I'm looking at is a 2008 with 75K on the clock. I'm wondering, is it worth buying an extended warranty?

Along the same lines, where would be the best place (Vendor) be to buy the extended warranty from?

P.S I'm really impressed with all the great technical info here on Audiworld.com

Best Regards,

Michael.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got an extended warranty from Fidelity, which the selling dealer offered. I have to say they have been great. Changed a sub woofer on the door and bunch if of other things costed me $100 deductible. They just paid for 4 upper control arm bushings bc they were cracked. I vote for the warranty others may not think so.

Last edited by Fez2013; 10-31-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you very much for the info.

I'll check out fidelity.

Best Regards,

Michael
Old 11-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'ma complete DIY person, BUT, if I weren't doing everything myself, I'd buy the warranty.

These cars aren't unreliable pieces of junk by any means, but they aren't a Toyota Corolla. One decent claim may pay for the warranty. An air strut here, an intake gasket there, boom, you're ahead.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Low Oil

Hi all,

When I looked at the dip stick from my 2008 A8 yesterday, it was at the Minimum mark. There's no warning light or anything, so I added a quart to bring it up a bit. This morning, without starting the engine, the dip stick was back to minimum. I couldn't see any oil leak under the car, but it's a little concerning.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Michael.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mwalshe2000
Hi all,

When I looked at the dip stick from my 2008 A8 yesterday, it was at the Minimum mark. There's no warning light or anything, so I added a quart to bring it up a bit. This morning, without starting the engine, the dip stick was back to minimum. I couldn't see any oil leak under the car, but it's a little concerning.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Michael.
Only I can imagine is that something was wrong with the measurement. Not flat floor for example.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

There is a slight angle on the street, alright.
I'll take it to a flat parking lot tomorrow and "re-dip".

Thanks.

Michael
Old 11-03-2014, 04:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would invest in a after market EXCLUSIONARY warranty policy. The gold standard is the warranty from Zurich North America. But the cost for 3 year/36k mile warranty from Zurich on a D3 S8 was rather steep when I investigated a few months ago. (~$6800) You can also obtain a 4 year/50k aftermarket warranty underwritten by Nissan Motor Corporation ("QualityGuard+")for a D3 S8 - I was quoted $4500 on a D3 S8 a few months ago.

Like Zurich, Nissan has an exclusionary warranty offering -- but if you read the contract carefully, you will discover that they will not cover the air suspension system, and their coverage for the "Navigation" (which may encompass the MMI) is rather weak. Consequently, caveat emptor. If you search my posts you will find details on the warranty.

Note:
One of the members here had a great experience with Fidelity, but my due diligence led me to conclude that they are not top tier.

Best of luck.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts
Default FWIW, oil can probably be way low without a light...wouldn't sweat too much

In the super extreme case t comes down to whether the oil is picked up by the oil pump and the system stays pressurized. That's a near disaster scenario. As far as I know, it has no "level" type sensors like the newer Audis which display it in MMI. And BTW as the owner of one of those newer MMI display ones that burns no oil at all,there are more than a few posts on the Q5 board with people who get frustrated with that system since the dipstick got eliminated. Thus, yes you want to maintain it, but what I focus on more is the why's of oil loss or burning, if that is it wasn't simply a faulty level of the car, checked right after motor shutdown, or several other variables.

My old A6 4.2 burned a lot of oil after one cylinder wall got damaged really low down at the scraper ring. Wasn't worth getting a replacement block at its age/miles to me. I tried to keep up with it and be within a quart, but it could get two quarts low or a bit more and be way at the bottom of the stick. The oil serves a cooling function on these motors too, and that plus general dispersion of stuff across more volume that also helps longer change intervals are among the reasons it probably holds a lot more oil than many motors. The W12 is all the way up at 13 quarts. Having pulled the oil pan off my A6 4.2 a few times, the oil pump pickup is indeed at the bottom, and at least on that one, there is a plastic baffle all around it to keep the oil from sloshing too much to one side with side g forces.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll throw my $.02 worth in here...
I don't have the extended warranty on my '08 A8 SWB, and not sure if this would be covered, but just had the motors in the left front headlight assembly go "intermittent" on me. The left headlight sweeps left on left turn, then locks there and throws a fault code. Full assembly and labor is $1800.00! Fortunately I negotiated to get the part for wholesale and it knocked off $385...but still, this was quite a shock. Not sure if ext. warranty would have covered it, but these parts are costly!

Quick Reply: Close to buying my first 2008 A8 L