A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D3 2003 4.2 Introduction and some (retrofit) questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 11:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jakematic
It's possible the module needs SVM, but I can't be certain is it's higher revision than mine way that had an RLS.
SVM would still require coding as it would set the module to 'as delivered'
Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say here. What is SVM?

Anything that requires an Audi-computer is no issue, a friend of mine works at the dealer.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

By the way, I strongly suspect my battery is starting to die and will have it replaced next week.
Today when I was messing around with VCDS, the engergy limit warning came on and the car almost did not start. Now I know the A8 is power hungry, but 5 minutes seems rather short.

Hopefully, replacing the battery will fix the mirror/RLS issue.

Last edited by Stefman; 09-17-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stefman
What is SVM?
Forgot there is no decoder on this forum, sorry!

SVM = Software Version Management
Basically when Audi updates firmware it will also recode the module to a 'from factory' state.

By the way, I strongly suspect my battery is starting to die and will have it replaced next week.
Today when I was messing around with VCDS, the engergy limit warning came on and the car almost did not start. Now I know the A8 is power hungry, but 5 minutes seems rather short.

Hopefully, replacing the battery will fix the mirror/RLS issue.
Always connect a charger ,or run the engine (unless the procedure says otherwise)when doing more than a quick scan.
5 minutes is very short, so very likely a battery issue.

Could explain the other issues too - all kinds of crazy things happen with low voltage which is why I always look for it in the freeze-frame
Old 09-19-2014, 02:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for your reply. And got it, start car or connect charger!

I expect my (Varta Silver Dynamic 110ah) battery to come in tomorrow and will let you know i'm still getting the error once it's been replaced.

When replacing or disconnecting the battery, I know that you should open the windows for comfort lock to work, and I've read that you have to run the "throttle body alignment" with VCDS. And obviously I will code it when replaced.
Is there anything else that needs to be done after replacing the battery?

Will have my windshield replaced next week too, and I'll let the dealer check out the coding/SVM while I'm there.

Now to finish my list; is there anyone that knows where to get the chrome wheel-rings mentioned in my first post?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I expect my (Varta Silver Dynamic 110ah) battery to come in tomorrow and will let you know i'm still getting the error once it's been replaced.

When replacing or disconnecting the battery, I know that you should open the windows for comfort lock to work, and I've read that you have to run the "throttle body alignment" with VCDS. And obviously I will code it when replaced.
Is there anything else that needs to be done after replacing the battery?
That should cover it.
It's refreshing to work with someone who's done so much research

Most of the senior guys here will tell you it's like pulling teeth just to get folks to use VCDS...

Keep us posted, and hopefully someone will know where to get the trim rings.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:05 PM
mcs
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Your Bluetooth module has the same coding as my car and I have full SDS voice control installed. There is an error because the car is looking for the full SDS module to communicate with.

Turn on Voice control at the Bluetooth module coding and see how you go.

Mike
Old 09-22-2014, 05:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
That should cover it.
It's refreshing to work with someone who's done so much research

Most of the senior guys here will tell you it's like pulling teeth just to get folks to use VCDS...
Thanks man.
Having some IT skills and reading a lot about the car (or any car, but this one in specific) is very useful. And it feels so much better fixing something yourself rather then giving the dealer (a lot of) money for it.

I have just received and replaced my battery, and it looks like the dimming mirror issue is gone. Hopefully it stays that way.

Originally Posted by mcs
Your Bluetooth module has the same coding as my car and I have full SDS voice control installed. There is an error because the car is looking for the full SDS module to communicate with.

Turn on Voice control at the Bluetooth module coding and see how you go.

Mike
Thanks for your response Mike. I've changed the coding accordingly but no luck, still getting "telephone not installed" and the coding error is still there.

I have forgotten to mention one thing about the bluetooth wiring; In total I have tried 2 wiring layouts for connecting the pins.

The first I tried is:

OLD - NEW
33 - 14 - Diagnostics
42 - 11 - MIC +
41 - 12 - MIC -
15 - 10 - Terminal 31
16 - 2 - Terminal 31
35 - 1 - Terminal 30

When this didn't work I posted on a Dutch forum and was told to use this one from a German forum:

36 to 1
37 to 2
33 to 14
41 to 12
42 to 11

It's currently connected according to the 2nd layout. I'll pin in back to the first one again and see if anything changed. Can anyone confirm which one to use? And why would there be 2 different schemes going around?
I've read stories on both that have actually worked.

Thanks all for responding.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Both of those wiring schematics should work if it is European car.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes it is a European car from Holland.
I'll leave the wiring for what it is then and wait for the dealer to check it out.

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:53 PM
mcs
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks man.

Thanks for your response Mike. I've changed the coding accordingly but no luck, still getting "telephone not installed" and the coding error is still there.

I have forgotten to mention one thing about the bluetooth wiring; In total I have tried 2 wiring layouts for connecting the pins.

The first I tried is:

OLD - NEW
33 - 14 - Diagnostics
42 - 11 - MIC +
41 - 12 - MIC -
15 - 10 - Terminal 31
16 - 2 - Terminal 31
35 - 1 - Terminal 30

It's currently connected according to the 2nd layout. I'll pin in back to the first one again and see if anything changed. Can anyone confirm which one to use? And why would there be 2 different schemes going around?
I've read stories on both that have actually worked.

Thanks all for responding.
I believe there would be two schematics for the many types of MMI getting about.

I used the one I left in your quote above. My car has Full SDS and I had zero issues installing it. Took about 8 mins and went fully functional.

I have heard some of the modules themselves **** up from time to time so perhaps you have a dud. For instance, my old Motorola module was faulty even when it was working it would interrupt the sound while it connected and disconnected all the time.

Mike

Quick Reply: D3 2003 4.2 Introduction and some (retrofit) questions