A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver camshaft tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskhl
I have a 2004 D3 BFM 174k miles (41k by me), Bentley and VCDS free. No special tools, just std shop tools.

Timing belt, water pump, tensioner, thermostat replaced ~9k miles prior. Replaced ignition coils and plugs ~12k ago

Sitting at a long light I feel a blip like a misfire and a few seconds later engine starts smoking--could be fan wasn't running?. Kill the ignition since I am sitting at light and then start a minute later to pull into the gas station lot. Car studders a bit and making noise while driving. Kill the engine let sit and start back up after a few. Sounds quieter. Toe it to VW Technology in Marietta where Orlando diagnoses as cam tensioner (driver side). When the car is started at idle engine sounds fine, no OBD2 codes. Apply gas and nasty noise.

This leads me to a few questions.
1. What are the chances that I escaped with just tensioner/pad damage?
2. What are my chances I can fix this without pulling the timing belt, etc.

I see threads about just pulling the valve cover but need to make sure it makes sense in this scenario. Really $750 and two days labor is high end I want to spend. Otherwise I might as well part out and buy a new ride.

The car body is a bit rough so I don't want to drop a ton of money or time into it, but I also have money invested. New tires, compressor, struts etc.
Does it rattle upon startup? If so when did the rattling start, mileage wise?
Old 10-21-2016, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskhl
Ordered the parts to replace tensioner and chain on driver side and pad on right. Assuming I can get it back together and running properly with Bentley manual --I have to attack the oil cooler leak. Hopefully the head gaskets aren't toast from the engine overheating.

Do-able in two days? I have never tackled mechanical on engine before--tons of suspension work though and got all the tools ready
Having done the oil cooler coolant pipe fix I would say it's an 8 on the scale of 1-10. There are several how to's out there are I recommend you find and read them all. Even with all that it's not an easy job. You'll probably have to buy some tools. I've heard of people doing it without putting it in the service position but I can't imagine trying to do it with the bumper in place. Definitely not what I would recommend for your first engine related project. Cam chain tensioners would be about the same difficulty level. Two day would be ambitious for someone with a lot of experience. You say you have all the tools ready. What tools do you have ready?
Old 10-21-2016, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Duke,

I am assuming there is going to be some timesaving by doing both jobs together since I am taking the bumper off and probably putting it into service position. The passenger side hasn't gone yet so I am just going to replace that tensioner pad plus Bentley says remove the engine for passenger side tensioner replacement.

I see there are some special tools for putting into service position. So far, the tools I ordered off Amazon for the cam job are below:

PRIVATE BRAND TOOLS PBT70961 Crankshaft and Camshaft Seal Tool Kit
Baum Tools T40005K VW and Audi V8 Camshaft Timing Tool Set (PIN 3242 also)
Baum Tools 3366 VW and Audi Chain Adjuster Bracket
VW/Audi V6/V8 Camshaft Cam Sprocket Engine Timing Tool Puller T40001
18 mm pulley wrench
Old 10-21-2016, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I've never changed the tensioners. It looks like you have most of the tools to change them. Do you have a set of torx and triplesquare sockets? If not add those to the list. Also as I suggested you should read up on the oil cooler coolant pipe. There are tools you'll need to that as well.