A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog light grill, heated wheel & tires advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fog light grill, heated wheel & tires advice?

So some A-hole stole my lower right fog light/bumper grill while the wife and I were having a nice meal at the Bayou on Staten Island. My 2008 A8L has chrome strips on this bit and I'd like to find a replacement used OEM if possible or don't mind aftermarket as long as it isn't complete junk.
Any suggestions? I've been looking on fleaBay with no luck yet.
On another note I've been driving loaners and the wife's new Q7 with heated steering wheels and I have to say that it is a welcomed option here in NY and as I get older....LOL.
I currently have the OEM three spoke wood rim with paddles. From what I've seen/researched it looks like I can retofit, but a heated three spoke with paddles might be hard to find or very pricey. I thought it made sense to find a three spoke since the air bag should just swap over. Did they make a four spoke with paddles? I would think that I'd have to find a four spoke with a bag. I might be better just finding my driving gloves or buying new gloves?
Edit:
Also need to get new summer rubber for the OEM 19" - PS2 the way to go? I do like to push it in the rain too so that might sway your input...
TIA

Last edited by RobertV; 03-16-2014 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn these people have nothing else better to do than to steal parts from other cars, especially a high end one. You can find a good used grille on ebay between $30-$50. They don't cost much at all. If no success there, than the dealer will be your only other option since they're not a lot of salvaged 08's just yet. Did they steal it at night?? Sounds like you and your wife still had a nice time out despite of what happened.

You can find a 4 spoke with paddles with wood in the 06-10 models which is a little harder to find but it won't be heated which sucks. When I bought my 06 I have the paddles with wood and I assumed it was heated and came on with the heated seats. Wrong!! Starting that year they put a separate switch on the lower left spoke on the back of it. More common is a heated 4 spoke with all leather but no paddles. The only way you can get heated and wood 4 spoke is in the W12's in the 06-10 and that's it. Good luck finding that one. You can buy the wheel itself but make sure it's the right color but you have to reuse your airbag unless it deployed or something.

As far as the tires, sorry I can't help you too much there. I know more about the all season tires but not all summer rubber .
Old 03-16-2014, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used Michelin PS2's on my Porsche 928 GTS for quite a while, and really like them for handling and hot grip. Very poor on cold roads. I also used them as high performance street tires on my Porsche 928 S4 that I drove on various road race tracks in the US/Canada - when the track was wet/dry. Very good in the dry, OK in the wet, but you drive more carefully there anyway! I used Michelin sport cup tires for totally dry and warm or hot tracks.

There are other high performance tires that are good as well for performance driving. I also like the latest Dunlops. Check out Tire Rack's 'testing pages' for lots of information.

Gary-

Last edited by Gary Knox; 03-16-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:13 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k6greena8
. More common is a heated 4 spoke with all leather but no paddles. The only way you can get heated and wood 4 spoke is in the W12's in the 06-10 and that's it.
My 2005 W12 is a heated 4 spoke with all leather and paddles.
Attached Images   
Old 03-16-2014, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default PS2's are the "old ones"

I ran PS2's on the W12. Good tire, but honestly I couldn't tell the difference from the prior Dunlop Sport Maxx's (in the older tread pattern), other than the SportMaxx's were a small amount quieter to my ears. Dunlops are cheaper too, and over the life of each tire I saw no obvious wear/life delta on my A8.

However, the current model should be the SuperSports anyway, which the reviews say are great and took the quality up another notch. Running those on the Mini S now, but that is a much different vehicle than the A8. Did have prior gen. PS's on the Mini before those, and the SuperSports are up a notch at the margin and a bit quieter perhaps; supposed to wear better too but too early to know on the Mini so far. In some fitments there is also a PS3 that came out somewhat before the SuperSport.

Maybe also interesting, I ran the prior A/S +'s right after I ran the PS2's. Even in all seasons, also hard to find a difference from the PS2 summers with the A8. Had to really push it to find, and that's with 275 20s, bigger 385mm brakes, 450 HP, S8 bars...and yes, a 250 kilo anvil up front dynamically too ... Again, Dunlop summers might have been a little quieter. The A/S + was replaced last year with the A/S 3, and the reviews really seem to be saying it can compete even with the summers in many respects. When I burn up my current Sport Maxx's again, that will be my likely next choice on the W12.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-16-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default +1 on my 2006 W12

Heated all leather wheel, four spokes and paddles on my 2006 W12 too. Standard W12 issue.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Four and three spoke wheels can have the same airbag. Generally there are shield and round ones, but they can be for both four and three spoke wheels. All newer wheels have paddles.

Tires wise I would recommend Continental ExtremeContact DW. They are quite cheaper, last longer and, in my opinion very important, ride smoother than Michelin's. Michelin's performance is a bit better, but I really doubt that anybody here is that kind of racer to use that difference.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q
My 2005 W12 is a heated 4 spoke with all leather and paddles.
Oh yea I forgot the W12's are standard with paddles and heat. But I know not the wood are optional on the 05-10 W12. I thought the wood and leather are standard but I know it's not now. I was mainly talking about the 4.2s. Sorry for the misprint.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Four and three spoke wheels can have the same airbag. Generally there are shield and round ones, but they can be for both four and three spoke wheels. All newer wheels have paddles.
Is this really true? I want to go to an S8 or and S-line three spoke wheel but I thought I would need a three spoke air bag. It looks like my 4 spoke air bag has cut outs for the 4 spokes.

I also recommend taking a look at the Pilot A/S3 since the performance is close to a summer tire but with a 45K mileage warranty. The Pilot Super Sport also comes with a 30K mileage warranty as well. I'm running A/S+ since the PS3 were just introduced and I could not get them in time.

Last edited by TSHong; 03-16-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TSHong
Is this really true? I want to go to an S8 or and S-line three spoke wheel but I thought I would need a three spoke air bag. It looks like my 4 spoke air bag has cut outs for the 4 spokes.
You are right. Shield one has different cutouts for three and four spokes. Round airbag hes no cutouts and it is same for both wheels.

Quick Reply: Fog light grill, heated wheel & tires advice?