A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full throttle to "clean" or "stretch legs"

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full throttle to "clean" or "stretch legs"

2008 S8 with 65k mi. I was told by my mechanic to warm the car up with normal driving for at least 15min or so and then put it in Sport and floor it for as long as I can from a stop or slow speed. This serves the purpose of cleaning out the engine and allowing the engine to stretch its legs. I'm sure this topic has been covered but I guess I haven't searched with the correct terms. Is this true and based on anything other than an excuse to give to the cops? If you know it to be true please explain the science behind it.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tannerm
If you know it to be true please explain the science behind it.
I would like to hear that science too. Mechanics are famous scientists.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 585 Likes on 490 Posts
Default Not gonna work on an S8, but yes in (old school) theory

It basically just increases the air flow through the motor, heats up the cylinders some and may get stuff off the plugs and (mostly) exhaust valves. From experience, it could work on my C5 4.2 when it would foul a plug due to a big issue with one cylinder I had. If you blew it out successfully, you could clear the plug enough it would no longer misfire--not clean by any means, but just enough to get the physical oil crap off the plug gaps. I would only resort to it as a temporary until I could get home and pull the (always same) plug--every 2-5,000 miles depending on how much city vs. highway I did with it. Used to work some in my 67 Chrysler with the 383 too that would foul the plugs when it got old and had very uneven plug temps and compression. It also has various modern era polically dubious names like Italian tune up. Think old Fiat 124 or Alfa with a four banger with even pre-copper core plugs, points and coil, a Weber or Solex, etc.

Problem on the S8 is several fold. First it's direct injection, so there will be zero benefit on the intake side where fuel could otherwise wash valves in earnest for a bit. Second, motor has a very quick reaction electrically controlled thermostat, so you will have little luck in warming stuff up much. Third and most practically, it is just too fast a car. Your chance to really give it the old clean out blast will last maybe 8 seconds before speeds get outrageous, not a minute. Don't know S8, but in Europe W12 was 0-155 in 25 seconds for example. Even on the steepest grades up in the Sierras, mine would just run away very fast.

The classic old way this was done was up the steepest possible grade pushing the motor hard; uphill freeway onramps are a shorter version of it. With a 3 speed slush box or a misfiring 5 speed at 300 hp, maybe. Old pick up truck weighed down, sure, especially in the low mileage spark plug days with points, low powered ignition, cast iron everything, etc. But 450 HP, a six speed and presumably already firing on all cylinders with precise fuel, ignition and cooling, not going to do much of anything but burn gas and attract LEO's.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-16-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by tannerm

I guess I haven't searched with the correct terms.

Tanner: "Italian tune-up"
Old 05-17-2015, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, your mechanic means that you can keep the engine's intake ports and valves clean by those means.

I tend fo floor my cars now and then for as long as possible, keeps crap away, and have never had to clean anything in my engines. Otherwise i drive with light throttle for 99% of the time, but that 1% of time i really give the car a go.

Helps to keep things working, when you put some motion into things. Same with your body, if you just sit down and walk between the fridge and sofa you will get clogged up and fat because your body will accumulate all fat and crap you eat, instead of burning off excess. If you go for a marathon run, or a few hundred meter runs every now and then, clogging won't happen, because it will use all excess fat and energy you have stored.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by volvopentaman

Helps to keep things working, when you put some motion into things. Same with your body, if you just sit down and walk between the fridge and sofa you will get clogged up and fat because your body will accumulate all fat and crap you eat, instead of burning off excess. If you go for a marathon run, or a few hundred meter runs every now and then, clogging won't happen, because it will use all excess fat and energy you have stored.
Obesity problem solved in a car forum thread
Old 05-18-2015, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

Plus it's fun to get on it every now and then
Old 05-18-2015, 11:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Pothole5000
Plus it's fun to get on it every now and then
I totally agree with the fun part. It's just minus for everything else. It doesn't do any good for any engine, especially FSI. Comparing it to any living organism has no scientific foundation. Drive her like your grandmother and she will last forever. "Stretch her legs" on a track and she will die in no time. Everything else in between.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here's me giving my S8 an Italian tune up. I'm not as ballsy as some of the posters here. I do it now and again. Either at 2am on the highway or deserted back road and slower.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah that arrived way to quickly....
Did you happen to notice that tree pollen on your vehicle completely vaporizes at 142mph?

Quick Reply: Full throttle to "clean" or "stretch legs"