A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Identify sound..

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

In most cars, the belt powers the steering pump. When you turn the front wheels, the pump uses more power, which makes it more difficult to turn the pulley on the front of the pump. When it is more difficult to turn, the belt will slip more, making more noise. After mishar pointing out my error, however, this does not apply to your car.

Correct me if I'm wrong again, but your car has electric power steering. The only way your car steering could cause the belt slipping is if the increased electrical load causes the alternator to be more difficult to turn. I do not know if the power steering puts enough of a load on the system to affect the belt slipping.

It is important to have a good mechanic. You will need to find one if you don't have one, even if you fix this problem this time. Ask other people you know who drive an Audi or a Volkswagen, somebody will know where to find a trustworthy mechanic.

Last edited by Jack88; 03-29-2015 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Wrong information
Old 03-29-2015, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
The belt powers the steering pump.
Not on FSI engines, including 5.2 V10. Belt powers only alternator.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexxelax
Many problems are easier than it looks to be, so why not try as far as possible before give it to an "expert".
That's what DIY and this forum are about, but figuring out sounds online is kinda out of range.

The questions i ask like "where are the pulleys" is for i am not from a english speaking country, and i have never heard the word pulley, i dont know what it is in word. When figured out what pulley is then i can translate it in my language and write it n ElsaWin how to fix the problem.
If the question is "what is pulley" this site can help a lot. Question "where are the pulleys" sounds like you are totally lost in your engine bay and it is much better not to touch anything.

About the whining sound problem it disappeard while driving today, and i was thinking a little and may figured out where the sound came from.
Good and don't spray anything on engine.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jack88
In most cars, the belt powers the steering pump. When you turn the front wheels, the pump uses more power, which makes it more difficult to turn the pulley on the front of the pump. When it is more difficult to turn, the belt will slip more, making more noise. After mishar pointing out my error, however, this does not apply to your car.

Correct me if I'm wrong again, but your car has electric power steering. The only way your car steering could cause the belt slipping is if the increased electrical load causes the alternator to be more difficult to turn. I do not know if the power steering puts enough of a load on the system to affect the belt slipping.

It is important to have a good mechanic. You will need to find one if you don't have one, even if you fix this problem this time. Ask other people you know who drive an Audi or a Volkswagen, somebody will know where to find a trustworthy mechanic.
Thanks, I will make a full scan and see what the problems are and if it is worth fixing, maybe give it do the Audi shop even if they are robbers.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mishar
That's what DIY and this forum are about, but figuring out sounds online is kinda out of range.
I know, but i hoped someone would know what i was talking about by reading the "symptoms".

If the question is "what is pulley" this site can help a lot. Question "where are the pulleys" sounds like you are totally lost in your engine bay and it is much better not to touch anything.
Yes i know translate, i did translate it but even the word coming up was not familiar to me, i always thought it was known as "teeth wheel" (direct translate to english) and the english word seems to be gear according to google.

Haha this got to a language lesson..

I understand, i would think the same about the question, and offcourse i will not ever touch anything that i dont know how to do for example the timing chain, or head gasket etc, also i am not a pro in any kind

Will not do it again, what about grease on the spinning parts?
Old 03-29-2015, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Use standard automotive troubleshooting techniques to determine what is causing the noise.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Not on FSI engines, including 5.2 V10. Belt powers only alternator.
It could be alternator bearings.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But, I have heard that oil is good for the engine?! ..I must have been doing it all wrong! hehe