A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's = GARBAGE

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Pilot AS3 on this

They were some of the best all seasons I ever had. Way better than the previous Pirelli P6 and Yoko Avids it had before. Amazing wet traction too. Cant say for winter as I had dedicated winter tires and wheels
Old 01-31-2015, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AS3s don't make the grade

Originally Posted by Baloo588
Brozee,

I came across your post on the AS3. I have them on my 2012 Audi A8L and they are the worst lasting tires ever! Even with the 255/45R19 tires they wore fast with rears almost at wear bars at 18k miles and the front at 50%. I dont rotate because of vibration issues and other thing arising and funny handling after I do rotation. I do alot of driving so I just keep the wheels/tires in same position and they wear evenly with good alingment. Despite that the AS3 are lousy. The previous Continental Contiprocontacts were far better and lasted 35k miles with even wear and no rotations. Even on the older 2006 Audi A8L I had before that had many sets of tires that lasted 30k plus miles without rotation.
I would have to agree with Brozee and Baloo588. The AS3's are the worst wearing tire I've had on a car next to Dunlop Pilot Sport. I'm not sure what the load profile is for these tires but Michelin should beef up the sidewalls. I had two tires suddenly start losing air just because they felt like they needed attention. Good thing I have a lifetime replacement.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a brand new set of Continental DWS on my S8 and while I haven't run them long enough to comment on wear, I can say that they handle almost as well as a dedicated snow in ****e weather. We have gotten several feet lately of snow and I've taken the car out before roads got plowed and it handled everything amazingly.

Having a well performing tire in the dry that can work well in winter conditions is a godsend since I don't have to run dedicated snow wheels and tires, so for anyone that needs a true all season I can't recommend the DWS enough.

As for the worst all-season tire I have ever had, I would say without any caveats the Pirelli PZero Nero are the most horrific, poor performing tires in ANY condition and as a result I'll never consider a Pirelli tire again. They came stock on my GTI and were so bad I enjoyed running my dedicated snows more.