A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3, any feedback???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3, any feedback???

Hello all,

I got a 2016 Audi A6 3.0T with the 20 inch sports package. I have the Continental Procontact TX gran touring tires. I know alot about tires and handling, feel, etc. I do not like these tires that much., While they are smooth, they lack handling and feedback feel. Does anyone with the Michelin Pilot sport as 3 can give me feedback as to how they like this tires and the pros/cons.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Baloo588
Hello all,

I got a 2016 Audi A6 3.0T with the 20 inch sports package. I have the Continental Procontact TX gran touring tires. I know alot about tires and handling, feel, etc. I do not like these tires that much., While they are smooth, they lack handling and feedback feel. Does anyone with the Michelin Pilot sport as 3 can give me feedback as to how they like this tires and the pros/cons.
I had Michelin Pilot Sports (275/45/20) on my 2013 Touareg TDI (traded for the S6). I loved them, however I only used them as summer tires. I had Michelin Latitudes as an all season tire. Both replaced the stock tires which the dealer could not balance. The Latitudes were provided free of charge by VW.

The Pilot Sports just made the car feel like it was on rails and also very quiet.

I have already bought Michelin Super Sports for the S6 which has an ETA at the dealer in 2 weeks.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't have them on my car, but I have driven a BMW with them installed.

The AS3 are pretty much the most aggressive All Season tires money can buy. If that's what you're looking for, look no further.

That said, I think they're actually a bad choice for all but a very small set of users. The AS3 are NOT really All Season. 3.5 Season at best, and absolutely suicidal in snow.

If you live in an area where it snows, get a set of AS like the Conti DWS (what is on my S6) or two sets of tires, one Summer, one Winter. These tires are made for people in an area that occasionally gets cold but where snow is unlikely.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
I don't have them on my car, but I have driven a BMW with them installed.

The AS3 are pretty much the most aggressive All Season tires money can buy. If that's what you're looking for, look no further.

That said, I think they're actually a bad choice for all but a very small set of users. The AS3 are NOT really All Season. 3.5 Season at best, and absolutely suicidal in snow.

If you live in an area where it snows, get a set of AS like the Conti DWS (what is on my S6) or two sets of tires, one Summer, one Winter. These tires are made for people in an area that occasionally gets cold but where snow is unlikely.
Good point. We have these on the A8L and they ride really nice and smooth with great handling feel. The tires are thicker of course 255/45R19 standard load so i wasn't sure how the lower, wider and XL version of the Pilot Sport AS3 will feel. We use separate winter rims/tires during winter time so its not an issue for us.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 648GIII
I had Michelin Pilot Sports (275/45/20) on my 2013 Touareg TDI (traded for the S6). I loved them, however I only used them as summer tires. I had Michelin Latitudes as an all season tire. Both replaced the stock tires which the dealer could not balance. The Latitudes were provided free of charge by VW.

The Pilot Sports just made the car feel like it was on rails and also very quiet.

I have already bought Michelin Super Sports for the S6 which has an ETA at the dealer in 2 weeks.
Let me know how the Super sports feel. They might be considered since I use winter wheels/tires in the winter time. However, I don't want a punishing ride on the summer performance tires with the roads we have here in Michigan.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me know how the Super sports feel. They might be considered since I use winter wheels/tires in the winter time. However, I don't want a punishing ride on the summer performance tires with the roads we have here in Michigan.
I'm finishing my first week with new 20" Super Sports. So far, no complaints. No noticeable ride harshness vs the 19" Blizzaks that just came off for the season.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Would you guys say that the A7 with the performance all seasons or summer tires handle better then the all season touring continental tires on the 20inch sports package? The car steering feels light and the turn in isn't crisp with some body roll which i attribute to the soft sidewalls of the pro contact TX tires. I know that different tires make a huge change in how the car feels but I want to be sure.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hello all,

I had to replace the all season touring continental tires on my A7 after just 7000 miles because of the wonderful Michigan roads. Rather than replacing the Continentals I upgraded to the Michelin Pilot Sports AS 3. The side walls are thicker than the Continentals so I figure the chances fo developing sidewall blebs would be less likely in the event I hit the unavoidable potholes in Michigan. I had those tires installed last summer. Overall the handling on dry and wet pavement is far superior to the OEM tires. They are a bit more nosier too. What surprised me was was that they are NOT AT ALL an all season tire. They were absolutely useless in snow! It did force me to purchase a set of winter tires and wheels which allowed me to down size to an 18" rim for winer and put alittle more sidewall between the potholes of Michigan and my A7.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Regarding Michelin Pilot Super Sports, I have a Corvette GS that came with Goodyear run flats. When I changed over to Michelin PSSs (non run flats) it transformed the ride and handling of the car (for the better). It was so noticeable a change that my wife will now ride in the car. With the Goodyears the ride was so stiff that after about an hour or two her back would begin to ache. Turn in is also much crisper and they are also very quiet. There is a reason that the Michelin PSSs rate at the top of the charts for summer performance tires. I'm sold and I don't think that you will regret getting them.

Many of the roads in NH are similar to MI

Last edited by 648GIII; 04-18-2015 at 03:08 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-18-2015, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ben123
I had to replace the all season touring continental tires on my A7 after just 7000 miles because of the wonderful Michigan roads. Rather than replacing the Continentals I upgraded to the Michelin Pilot Sports AS 3. The side walls are thicker than the Continentals so I figure the chances fo developing sidewall blebs would be less likely in the event I hit the unavoidable potholes in Michigan. I had those tires installed last summer. Overall the handling on dry and wet pavement is far superior to the OEM tires. They are a bit more nosier too. What surprised me was was that they are NOT AT ALL an all season tire. They were absolutely useless in snow! It did force me to purchase a set of winter tires and wheels which allowed me to down size to an 18" rim for winer and put alittle more sidewall between the potholes of Michigan and my A7.
Yeah I live in southeast Michigan in Bloomfield/Birmingham area and I drive alot to downtown detroit daily and I try to be extra careful with the potholes we get in downtown. So far its been good but god I hate these soft continentals. I do have a separate winter wheel/tire set so I will definitely get the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 soon. I can't wait!! Thank you so much for your valuable feedback!

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3, any feedback???