A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mirror auto dimming not working? Want auto dimming with interior lights? Read this:

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mirror auto dimming not working? Want auto dimming with interior lights? Read this:

I'm posting this to sum up all information I've gathered after verifying just now with working results.

Per information gathered from this thread:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...dimming+mirror
...as well as from a Advanced search of "dimming mirror" in the A8 D3 forum, I was able to figure out why my mirror was not dimming in my W12 like I remembered in my 2004 4.2 A8L.

The auto-dimming function of both the interior rear view mirror and the side mirrors seems to be controlled by the light sensor in the interior rear view mirror AND is dependent on the interior overhead lights being turned off.

This means that either you drive with the interior lighting in "Highway" mode, "Off", or possibly "Rear" mode (forgot what this result was in my tests today).

OR you drive in "City" or "Cockpit" modes and tap the "O" button that controls the overhead lights. If it requires both overhead lights to be off, front and rear, (can't remember if it's just front or both) you will need to double tap the "O" button as this controls both front and rear at once (credit to williebone for this tip). Doing this will allow you to have auto-dimming while at the same time having the armrest LED lighting AND the footwell LED lighting, front and rear, stay on.

So let me make this clear, it is not necessary to set the lighting mode to "Off" or to press that big button in front of the sunroof control ****. You just have to either select a mode with no overehead lighting or tap/double tap the "O" button in the overhead light control section.

You can always doubletap the center door controlled overhead lighting button when you need them back on. I find the auto dimming is very useful on the freeways but not as necessary in downtown driving where you are going slow and actually want full mirror visibility for pedestrians.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came across your post while trying to rectify a sudden loss of the auto dimming function, and I get a second issue resolved for my '07 S8!

Now I can have City lighting profile without the overhead lights on, and I notice that they stay off even after the car is locked and subsequently restarted. I had earlier been forced to use Highway profile as I don't like to have the overhead lights on while driving.

Thanks for the post!
Old 10-19-2014, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the board!

While it is good to check old treads replying to them is not that useful. Most of those guys are not around anymore. Modestw12 is one of them.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

I dunno, I found this info useful as I didn't have my A8 in 2011 so this explanation of the finer points of the dimming and lighting is useful. Eg, I didn't know about the double button tap and wouldn't ever think to search for it.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Also appreciate this old thread as it deciphered the lighting modes. My handbook is in German, and the MMI handbook is not so user friendly.