A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI Screen Repair Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see from your pictures that my "arm" is not in the proper position when meshing the gears together. Do these pictures help explain my issue?
Attached Images    
Old 06-27-2013, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Check the upper left corner of the picture:

Name:  24_zpscd6008e3.jpg
Views: 6067
Size:  129.0 KB

Edit:

I am not sure what to look for at the first picture.

Last edited by mishar; 06-27-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Check the upper left corner of the picture:

Edit:

I am not sure what to look for at the first picture.

I see that now. The gears look a little loose.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Loose on the shaft or meshing the other gear? Check if your motor set completely before you tightened it with screws. There are small centering pins around two front screws.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am having trouble meshing the big gear. That could be because my position isn't correct. I will try it when I get home tonight.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Once the big gear is installed nothing should be able to move independently correct? The cover, arm(all the way up in photo), and holder should be linked?

On mine I can still move the arm that is visible on the side separately. It does not go back to the position I set it in before I installed the big gear.....

Thoughts?
Old 06-27-2013, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Could it be that you have more broken gears? That one should be moving with the lid movement.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Got it! I don't know why I had so much trouble with this. I had to screw the screen on before putting the big gear in. The arm moves a little bit before the screen holder is out of the locked position. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

mishar:

Did you get my email from last week? Just the other day, I had the first issue with my screen (2006 A8L). When I turned on the car, the screen did not pop up all the way. Tried manually opening/closing it a few times, nothing…but was able to coax it out gently and then stayed up for the ride. Turned off/on the car a couple of times, and once the screen would not go down all the way...just sort of froze 1/2 way.

It's been ok a few more times since then, but I'm guessing this is an indicator of what's to come. It also seems to have a very small "hiccup" about 1/2 way through the open/close process (barely perceptible) which I'm wondering if it is due to broken or missing teeth/tooth on the gear. And may explain the above screen getting hung up. Does that seem right?

My question - is this a gear related issue? If so, mark me down for a set of the gears and let me know how much payment to send and I'll get it out ASAP.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by nathanwind
mishar:

Did you get my email from last week? Just the other day, I had the first issue with my screen (2006 A8L). When I turned on the car, the screen did not pop up all the way. Tried manually opening/closing it a few times, nothing…but was able to coax it out gently and then stayed up for the ride. Turned off/on the car a couple of times, and once the screen would not go down all the way...just sort of froze 1/2 way.

It's been ok a few more times since then, but I'm guessing this is an indicator of what's to come. It also seems to have a very small "hiccup" about 1/2 way through the open/close process (barely perceptible) which I'm wondering if it is due to broken or missing teeth/tooth on the gear. And may explain the above screen getting hung up. Does that seem right?

My question - is this a gear related issue? If so, mark me down for a set of the gears and let me know how much payment to send and I'll get it out ASAP.
I've just returned from a weak long trip and replied to your mail.

Quick Reply: MMI Screen Repair Instructions