A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first D3. A few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first D3. A few questions...

Hi all,
Having owned a 97 D2 for 8 years I've just acquired a 3.7 V8 Quattro 2003 D3.
Its been sitting off road for 9 months although its MOT is only just up. Its going for a new ticket and a full service etc. Ive spent 4 days reviving the battery which now seems to be holding its own. Lovely car, Finger Print, adaptive cruise etc Im new to the whole MMi thing too. Got a couple of questions.

1) 3.7 V8 timing belt or chain ?

2) Im pretty sure its got the original software (See attached pic) and i think it can be upgraded to a newer version. Is this worth doing? any real benefit? How is the software installed?

3) The car has an audi car phone that i can see has a bluetooth capability. Will the new software allow me to use bluetooth with my iphone? The car also has a dennison ipod adapter that appears in the source list but the file display seems very basic. Maybe new software would help this also?

4) lastly, it says "No finger print (something) installed" yet i know the previous owner used it. Battery off Gremlin?

Thanks for your time. This forum has been invaluable to be over the years. Especially with the dreaded D2 fuel pump problem! Much respect.

Stoosh
Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2014, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Congratulations!

Looks like you are somewhere in Europe?

1. Timing belt + two short timing chains connecting exhaust and intake camshafts.

2. You are right. It looks like very old software version (0290). Every newer software resolved some problem and improved something. I am not sure if the newest one (5570 part number 4L0-998-961) can be installed to that old hardware. Somebody from Europe with that experience could help. To install it you buy CD's insert them into the cd changer (one at the time - slot 1), connect a battery charger and start Software Update from MMI. Should read about that first. There are multiple treads and some risks involved.

3. This is European thing again.

4. For things like that and much more you need Ross-Tech VCDS. Scan will tell you if something is wrong. Could be related to a long darkness. By the way, you should replace that battery. Sitting empty for that long most certainly killed it even if it was perfect before. Don't waste your time with it. Buy just basic battery that fits and replace it.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Mishar, Yes Im in England.
Ok great, ill look into the update Cds and await any european users advice on the Bluetooth thing.

Re The battery, Ive learned so much about batteries this week. Knowing that a new Battery needs to be coded (using a vagcom) i was determined to try to make this one work. 2amp trickle for 4 days and it came up to 12.7. after 2 days on the car and numerous starts its still reads 12. Ill keep an eye on it tho of course. I understand the D£ is far more reliant on battery power than my D2.

Ill look into a Vag Com. Being an apple mac user ill have to investigate compatibility or just by a hand held. There must be some kind of tablet interface for these now?

many thanks for the advice.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

To get to all the ECUs you need VCDS with full HEX+CAN capability, virtually all handhelds can only read the engine ECU on these and nothing else.

The phone in the armrest is the same as mine, it can only be used with the Audi handset. Effectively the car is the telephone and the handset is like a bluetooth headset, rather than the other way around. To get around this I put a non contract SIM in the car, and when driving redirect my iPhone to the PAYG sim phone number. You may find that the handset battery is dead, but a replacement is easily sourced from eBay (its a motorola handset rebadged).

The MMI software you have is very old indeed, when I did mine from that version it took the best part of 3 hours and will have to be completed if you want to use new SIM cards with the telephone. The upgrade is easy, but if there is a disc read error or a power drop then the ECU being upgraded at the time can become corrupted.

When I did the MMI upgrade I sat in the car with the engine running for the whole period, you cannot operate anything electrical during the upgrade or it could potentially fail. Even opening the door can cause it to fail. Once upgraded you get some nice features like 3D maps on the nav.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Mannyo.
Do i have to upgrade the software incrementally? or can i jump to the latest one?
Do you know what latest version my car will take?

I really want to get the phone working. So cool.. and stupid. lol.

Cheers
Old 08-09-2014, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

From that version you have to incrementally, first to version 1100, then there are two hops from that to the latest one. Once on 1100 you can go straight to the latest version.

Firmware is available to download, especially 1100 as its no longer available from Audi. I would download 1100 and then buy the latest CDs from Audi. The process would be,

1) upgrade MMI to 1100 using downloaded version, repeat twice to ensure upgrade complete.
2) use the purchased MMI upgrade kit from Audi and run through CDs 1 and 3 in order, repeating each CD twice to be sure. You will not need CD2 as you do not have the full fat bluetooth.

1100 can be downloaded from here, but you must register first
Audi Resource - MMI Menu
The site is perfectly trustworthy and run on by a member of another A8 forum.

5570 is the latest and last version of the MMI 2G firmware for us in the EU.

Last edited by mannyo1221; 08-09-2014 at 03:02 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks again, mannyo.
And in your opinion its worth doing? apart from 3d maps etc does it give any more control over the cars systems?
Really appreciate the advice.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

The official upgrade notes have the following modifications for the latest firmware.

Audi Parking System Plus can be retrofitted (Audible and graphic display of the screen)
DSP allows higher volume
Navi Announcements can be turned off during call
Volume of the background music during navigation announcements can be set
Height information can be displayed in the Navigationmap
Route can be followed on the chart via the MMI control
Crosshairs on input card is easier
Additional display arrows for the direction in which the POI will be looking for points of interest
Better labeling of highway exits at low zoom levels
Voice control and navigation of the top targets are immediately available
Bluetooth: access to more phonebook memory
Configurable Bluetooth PIN
If you select a POI in navigation, then you can dial the number directly.
VCS (voice control system) is available in conjunction with Hands free kit.
Sound Setup: Setting DSP Driver / Symmetric is not saved. Always remains on symmetric
On vehicles with DSP may cause a total failure of all the speakers. Ignition off for a long time to correct the problem.
DSP forgets DRIVER / SYMMETRIC setting is fixed.
Bird-view navigation menu is selectable 3D map display.
AMI (Audi Music Interface) is now upgradeable to connect IPOD, USB sticks, hard drives, etc.
MP3-CD changer support few changes are known.
Bose surround will not forget the surround setting
Trouble-free integration of the new iPod generations.

After you do the upgrade some errors will result, so I would not attempt it until you have VCDS because some coding changes will be required to enable some features again.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks MannyO. This is great info.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

How in the world this 2003 has adaptive cruise control??

Quick Reply: My first D3. A few questions...