A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NAVTAQ NAV disks 2015

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NAVTAQ NAV disks 2015

I'd like to update my maps. I understand Audi has not released the 2015 version for the D3 yet. Is there a reasonably priced outlet to purchase them, when they come out, or do I have to go to the dealer and offer a kidney?
Mike
Old 08-05-2015, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

Distribution channel is dealer, so best you can do is online/discounted one like audiusaparts, genuineaudiparts, etc.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Or hope someone posts it online and burn it.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by the_duke
Or hope someone posts it online and burn it.
Sorry, not cool. Direct violation of copyrighted material. And for data like that, people will probably frankly get nailed. The Germans just paid $3Billion for it the other day.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

I have always been a fan of waiting for the new year to come out (2015) then nabbing an older one off eBay, 2012-14. I'm sure people that pay for the latest one will try to recoup some of the price by hawking their older one.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At $285 at the dealer, eBay will be a bargain.
Mike
Old 08-06-2015, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Sorry, not cool. Direct violation of copyrighted material. And for data like that, people will probably frankly get nailed. The Germans just paid $3Billion for it the other day.
Google it. Many many options to choose from for 2015 europa edition. None yet for North America but 2013/2014 is available. I understand what you are saying and in the strictest sense of the law you are correct. However this is 2015 and downloading software happens all the time. Some companies try to catch people but most don't. That even includes Microsoft. They are offering Windows 10 upgrade for free. Even to those with pirated windows 7/8.

Speaking to Reuters yesterday, Windows chief Terry Myerson explained:

“We are upgrading all qualified PCs, genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10.”

And in case that isn’t clear, a Microsoft spokesperson clarified exactly what that meant to The Verge:

“Anyone with a qualified device can upgrade to Windows 10, including those with pirated copies of Windows.”

Obviously it is a risk to download software but it's a risk many take everyday.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren Coogan

For a whopping $50 and I've yet to have any trouble whatsoever.
How long has it been since you bought your nav disc? No problems whatsoever? I seriously do not want to damage my MMI...

Last edited by snagitseven; 08-12-2015 at 05:02 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Junius
How long has it been since you bought your nav disc? No problems whatsoever? I seriously do not want to damage my MMI...
Back in december I bought it for my S8. I've had zero problems and I use my nav at least a couple times a week
Old 08-06-2015, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by the_duke
Google it. Many many options to choose from for 2015 europa edition. None yet for North America but 2013/2014 is available. I understand what you are saying and in the strictest sense of the law you are correct. However this is 2015 and downloading software happens all the time. Some companies try to catch people but most don't. That even includes Microsoft. They are offering Windows 10 upgrade for free. Even to those with pirated windows 7/8.

Speaking to Reuters yesterday, Windows chief Terry Myerson explained:

“We are upgrading all qualified PCs, genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10.”

And in case that isn’t clear, a Microsoft spokesperson clarified exactly what that meant to The Verge:

“Anyone with a qualified device can upgrade to Windows 10, including those with pirated copies of Windows.”

Obviously it is a risk to download software but it's a risk many take everyday.
No, you are advocating breaking the law. I don't need to Google breaking the law, whatever that meant BTW. Judges don't Google particularly BTW either, but of course look at the real law. FWIW, I think you are probably also violating AW posting conduct policies. Feel free to search on that if you want.

The suggestion is IP theft. It is likely a felony for the perps to be yet more direct and blunt. Besides the monetary penalties that is. And more to the point on that subject, ask some of the people RIAA and the studios cleaned out for literally hundreds of thousands of dollars at the end user/player level from the Napster debacle if in retrospect it was worth it, since basically "everybody does it" and it was the new supposed business model folks just took liberties with and it was fashionable and all. Same argument when you get picked off in the sea of cars for the speeding ticket, and judge says per the radar gun/officer clock, sorry guilty. Gavel bang. Pay the man, end of judicial discussion. Except here, guilty could be really big bucks if someone went after the perps AND downstream players, not just a traffic ticket or license fee. BTW, also if you look at the history of this kind of stuff, indeed you could call it legalized shakedowns or extortion, but among the first things the copyright holder gets ahold of are the "customer" records. Then the lawyer letter fun begins, and at least for the studios and RIAA some real lawsuits with big $ awards, if the bend over many x money doesn't get paid. Satellite piracy was another example as I recall, which cost a only few thousand a set up to pay off and avoid the lawsuit.

The Windows licensing is different and non analogous AFAIK; they have changed their business model so apples and oranges. Navteq (for at least the U.S. market) is pay by the disk, physical distribution only, no credit for prior ones. No, I don't necessarily like it, but the other suggestion is frankly outright software piracy as the law stands and people should get paid for their IP in some fair fashion. This is the system legally, and it is not ambiguous.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-06-2015 at 01:56 PM.

Quick Reply: NAVTAQ NAV disks 2015