A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NAVTAQ NAV disks 2015

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I have used older NAV systems without issue in the past. My 2005 CTS-V never failed to get me where I was going. If you want to update your NAV system, you need to have minimum version requirements, if I recall correctly. Some of the other guys on here have done the update, dig around to forum a bit to find the minimum version.

I'd recommend buying the discs from a reputable source and paying the dealer to do the update. If you brick your mmi, you're out of luck. If they do it, they have to fix it.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by audijim113
This is just a update for the NAV right? new roads, highways, old road rerouted, etc? Does it impact any other features of the MMI?

Given the archaic interface, I haven't used NAV on my 2005. I used my smart phone instead. However, I did try it out recently and the screen is much easier to see, the voice is much better than my smartphone. On a long trip my smartphone runs the battery down fast and if I leave it on charger, it gets hot and shuts off. With so many road changes since 2005, I'd be afraid it would route me off a cliff or to Afghanistan without new data. $50 is a small price to pay for not driving into the lake or some place nasty. Heck, I might be in Ferguson, MO and run over people protesting in the middle of the street. Would "hate" to do that.
I also have a 2005. When I bought the car no updates had ever been done either to MMI or the nav maps. Nav wasn't very useful as the 2005 version was missing a LOT of roads/destinations. I updated MMI to current version and installed newer nav maps and while it's not as easy to enter the destination it is accurate and works well. Much easier to understand the voice prompts and the directions right in the middle of the instrument cluster are easier to see that looking at my phone.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
I have used older NAV systems without issue in the past. My 2005 CTS-V never failed to get me where I was going. If you want to update your NAV system, you need to have minimum version requirements, if I recall correctly. Some of the other guys on here have done the update, dig around to forum a bit to find the minimum version.

I'd recommend buying the discs from a reputable source and paying the dealer to do the update. If you brick your mmi, you're out of luck. If they do it, they have to fix it.
You are talking about two different things here FWIW. You can use current (or prior) Nav disks with any MMI version AFAIK. Dealer updating is not the normal method on a 2G system like the D3. You just insert new disk in the Nav drive and it starts running. There is sometimes some minor code on the disk that seems to just self install. BTW, if you own a newer Audi like my Q5 or the D4, now dealer has to do it and it thus costs like 2x what it does for the older way with the disks like the D3 used.

On the other hand, to update MMI then you need to be on at least version 5 of the Nav disks. Or, to install AMI on an older D3 without it, you need to be on at least MMI version 3360, which was circa 2007 and is now two generations back. In turn to use 3360 (or the later versions), you likewise need to have at least a version 5 Nav disks. The Nav disk version goes with the car year for Nav disks more or less, so basically the only ones where a Nav disk also has to be updated would be 2004s that never got a new Nav disk, and some early 2005's. By 2006 like mine, they shipped with at least v 5, and sometimes v6. 3360 and later MMI versions also remove the upfront lawyer/disclaimer screen, or rather push it further down to when you start using the wheel for text input. Makes system more user friendly day to day to not always have to click past that screen. MMI updating is sometimes done by dealers; do-able by a DIY'er IF you follow proper instructions and use legit dealer disks, which are actually quite cheap. There are some nuances if you are on really old MMI versions.

Last one other small tip. V7 Nav disks proved to be a lemon apparently and Navteq pulled it back and deep sixed it for undisclosed reasons shortly after it was shipped. Thus is you are in the used market for Nav disks (often on EBay in somewhat older but perfectly usable versions and presumably legit disks), avoid v7 ones.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-11-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

To add to what MP4 and others have written, please be advised that besides being illegal, offering to sell, promoting, providing links or even discussing how or where to get pirated copyrighted material is a breach of AW discussion forum rules. Those who do so are subject to being permanently banned.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tip. Just purchased the 2015 Nav update for $49.95. Hopefully it works.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I guess the last poster didn't read my message.
Too much discussion of bypassing copyrighted material, therefore this thread is now closed. If it weren't for the other useful posts, it would be deleted.