A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New key and programming

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 01:34 PM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New key and programming

I only have 1 key for my 2002 Audi A6 (I know this is the A8 D3 forum but you guys are a lot more involved and responsive)
I called Audi and they want $250 to program and another $100+ for the key. Is there a cheaper easier way to get a duplicate? The reason I only have 1 key is that the other was used as part of the remote start setup.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by TFT; 08-22-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:55 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Well...

Originally Posted by TFT
I only have 1 key for my 2002 Audi A6 (I know this is the A8 D3 forum but you guys are a lot more involved and responsive)
I called Audi and they want $250 to program and another $100+ for the key. Is there a cheaper easier way to get a duplicate? The reason I only have 1 key is that the other was used as part of the remote start setup.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
I had a 2001 A6 and got the same story. i bought a blank key/remote from keyless ride, got it sidewinder cut for $10 and matched it myself. Did not even require VCDS to do, just a sequence of lock/start with the original key in the ignition and new key in the driver's door. Blanks and remotes are all over eBay too.
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2016, 12:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A8 2003-2010 (D4 4E) and A6 2004-2010 (C6 4F) both need dealer and internet connection to correctly pair keys.

There is third party hardware (Abrites etc) available to OFFLINE pair keys to our cars, tough that apparatus costs 9-12k. Knock offs can be got a lot chaper, but nothing more about that here.

But NO, you can NOT pair the key in any way with VCDS nor any normal hardware at home, not even with dealers VAG5054A unless you have internet connection.

Also the dealer can NOT pair used keys. Tried this, bought a cheap used key, had a new key blank cut, and the dealer tried to program. Programming costs 90€ here in Finland, 34€ in Tallin Estonia. 250$ is pure robbery, already the 90€ for 10-15min work is robbery.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

To help you save some money, your best bet is to go to buy the key (price is about the same all over the USA dealer network) and wait until you travel with the keys and car to a dealer with a lower hourly rate than Phoenix. Example, Detroit area rate is $115/hr. Chicago downtown dealer is $175/hr. The programming is based on the dealer hourly rate.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

The OP has a 2002 A6, So he should have IMMO 3 as shown in Toss-Tech info, see links,

Immobilizer - Ross-Tech Wiki

Hello Scott,

As for your matching the keys in your 2001 A6 by " just a sequence of lock/start with the original key in the ignition and new key in the driver's door.", that is just programing the comfort module for remote function for unlocking the doors, or up/down of the windows with remote, the procedure you did has nothing to do with IMMO, as I believe your 01 A6 does not have IMMO just like my son's A6 4.2 does not, SO I have a question, does or did your A6 have a IMMO symbol in the instrument cluster as shown in the Ross-Tech video ?

Hello Volvopentaman,

As far as Ross-Tech VCDS not being able to program keys, that is not the case, you said
"A8 2003-2010 (D4 4E) and A6 2004-2010 (C6 4F) both need dealer and internet connection to correctly pair keys.
Not so.

There is third party hardware (Abrites etc) available to OFFLINE pair keys to our cars, tough that apparatus costs 9-12k. Knock offs can be got a lot chaper, but nothing more about that here.
You do not need a key programmer, Carprog is available for around $60-$80 USD to retrieve the SKC.

But NO, you can NOT pair the key in any way with VCDS nor any normal hardware at home, not even with dealers VAG5054A unless you have internet connection.
Again, not so.

See AW link for my post starting at #9 where I programed my two brand new keys from Bentley with Ross-Tech VCDS after retrieving the SKC (secret key code) from the IMMO module using carprog, there are a number of ways to retrieve the SKC either in the instrument cluster, the ECU, or ECU's if you have two, and definitely in the IMMO box, in either of these locations you would read the chip and get the 4 digit SKC then add a zero in front to make the 5 digit code required.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...ation-2900269/

Old 08-28-2016, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry, read the OP:s car model year wrong and expected A6 4F (as C5 has nothing to do with our A8:s), cheked it as 2005 (4F). But 2002 is clearly a C5, so home programming CAN be done.

My data only applies to A6 4F and A8 4E, NOT OP:s car.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by volvopentaman
Sorry, read the OP:s car model year wrong and expected A6 4F (as C5 has nothing to do with our A8:s), cheked it as 2005 (4F). But 2002 is clearly a C5, so home programming CAN be done.

My data only applies to A6 4F and A8 4E, NOT OP:s car.
Hello Volvopentaman,

Well with all due respect, of course it does apply to the OP's vehicle if he has IMMO 3 in his 2002 as per Audi/Ross-Tech, BUT then your data is still wrong as you are stating that the "A6 4F" and "A8 4E" "2003-2010" are not possible to be done at home, as I said, I have programed brand new keys with Ross-Tech after retrieving the SKC from KESSY module and or ECM with Carprog, I can do this on any 2004-2009 A8 4E US model Audi, and have done it, but you are saying it can not be done at all at home, you say "only by dealer and internet connection" and "But NO, you can NOT pair the key in any way with VCDS nor any normal hardware at home, not even with dealers VAG5054A unless you have internet connection", again not so, below is a picture of a shop that does it the same way I do, All one needs to do is get the SKC (PIN#) and then match the new key or keys to the vehicle with Ross-Tech, say you had no keys at all, then you would do as I did get the code with Carprog then take the new keys one at a time and match them to the car with Ross-Tech, I can even take this a little farther for you, but I believe you know this one, if a KESSY module is shot I can either read the chip of the bad unit and save the file to write to the replacement KESSY modules chip, or just swap the chip over to the replacement unit with the same exact part number, I have done that also with success.

So the answer is yes new keys can be matched to the vehicle with RT and CP for those that feel comfortable in doing so.

The 93C86 chip inside the Kessy to read.

http://www.flydump.com/document/chm-...5.%20KESSY.htm

Attached Thumbnails New key and programming-%24_57llkjj.jpg   New key and programming-eeprom.jpg  
Old 08-29-2016, 08:47 AM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 2 key fobs with lock/unlock capabilities that came with the remote start so all I need is a key to go in the ignition to start the car. I would assume this would just require the blank key cut to conform to existing key configuration. Is this correct?
Old 08-29-2016, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by TFT
I have 2 key fobs with lock/unlock capabilities that came with the remote start so all I need is a key to go in the ignition to start the car. I would assume this would just require the blank key cut to conform to existing key configuration. Is this correct?

As you have a 2002 A6 this is the chip you have,

AUDI A6/S6 1997-2004 Transponder Megamos Crypto 48 ● ID48 - Magic 1 or Magic 2.

This glass chipped key/fob needs to be in the ignition switch to be read by the coil in said switch, BUT if you are saying that you have one complete Flipkey/Fob placed on the remote start box, then by all means remove the blade from that key and try it in the ignition, it's been years since I did a remote start, but even then the chipped key was only placed there to be read by the starter box and then still needed a chipped key to start the car after entering, as I recall if one were to tap the brake pedal the engine would cut off as a security measure, BUT then there were units that placed an antenna/transmitter next to the ignition switch buried in the steering like you A6, or on the dash like the A8 that would allow it to start with just a blade key, SO give it a try.

BUT be AWARE if you do in-fact have the latter, then anyone with a screwdriver, and a hammer or dent puller can start you vehicle and drive off as you already have the chip in the vehicle, that's why I never likes those setups, I mean there is a key right under the dash, not good in my book... JMO

Attached Images  

Last edited by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT; 08-29-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT
Hello Volvopentaman,

Well with all due respect, of course it does apply to the OP's vehicle if he has IMMO 3 in his 2002 as per Audi/Ross-Tech, BUT then your data is still wrong as you are stating that the "A6 4F" and "A8 4E" "2003-2010" are not possible to be done at home, as I said, I have programed brand new keys with Ross-Tech after retrieving the SKC from KESSY module and or ECM with Carprog, I can do this on any 2004-2009 A8 4E US model Audi, and have done it, but you are saying it can not be done at all at home, you say "only by dealer and internet connection" and "But NO, you can NOT pair the key in any way with VCDS nor any normal hardware at home, not even with dealers VAG5054A unless you have internet connection", again not so, below is a picture of a shop that does it the same way I do, All one needs to do is get the SKC (PIN#) and then match the new key or keys to the vehicle with Ross-Tech, say you had no keys at all, then you would do as I did get the code with Carprog then take the new keys one at a time and match them to the car with Ross-Tech, I can even take this a little farther for you, but I believe you know this one, if a KESSY module is shot I can either read the chip of the bad unit and save the file to write to the replacement KESSY modules chip, or just swap the chip over to the replacement unit with the same exact part number, I have done that also with success.

So the answer is yes new keys can be matched to the vehicle with RT and CP for those that feel comfortable in doing so.

The 93C86 chip inside the Kessy to read.

http://www.flydump.com/document/chm-...5.%20KESSY.htm

Yes have done the Kessy clone no problem with carprog..
Only had success using the same Kessy ver i.e. c
Good to know about the key. You are the first to mention that.
I always thought it had be connected to the mothership.
Might try that later with my abrites.

Quick Reply: New key and programming