A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok the on going saga with my fuel issue ......

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ok the on going saga with my fuel issue ......

when my tank drops to 1/4 of gas tank. I think everyone knows by now, but while driving or just at idle, if my gas tank has about a 1/4 of a tank the car just shuts off. It will start back up and I can continue to drive. So anyway I found some extra cash to have the only European mechanic in my area to look at it. He told me my fuel pumps I have installed about 8 months ago were not installed correctly. So 200.00 later he said it should be fixed. Well it is not fixed and now I get this new DTC I have never received before.
16839 - EVAP System
P0455 - 001 - Large Leak Detected

Needless to say I have a call into them. Also I ran some output test and have attached results. Everything passed except Fuel Leak. I know the Fuel Leak was never there before. Any Ideas?
Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2016, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

EVAP deals w/ vented fumes of course, so logically connected to the work. Probably loose or unconnected hose or something like that. Assuming the tank was closed/sealed back up properly that is...
Old 07-27-2016, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default It doesn't matter what gurus up here suggest

If you don't do the work yourself, it's time to dump the car, one incompetent surgeon after another, your car is totally wounded without history. Until you find out what makes the car shutoff at idle? Fuel leaks, do you smell the gas? If not, then sensor and wiring. Get the manual, disassemble the whole gas tank and start from scratch, do it right and you may see broken wires, unplugged sensors, broken or out of place seals, screws or washers are loose or missing, floats got kinked due to installing incorrectly... Best is to understand the fuel pumps and gas tank systems. Any monkey with a wrench can remove anything in your car, putting it back correctly needs brains and care, and god knows some knowledge and integrity.

Cheers and good luck,
Louis

Originally Posted by jeffkruse
when my tank drops to 1/4 of gas tank. I think everyone knows by now, but while driving or just at idle, if my gas tank has about a 1/4 of a tank the car just shuts off. It will start back up and I can continue to drive. So anyway I found some extra cash to have the only European mechanic in my area to look at it. He told me my fuel pumps I have installed about 8 months ago were not installed correctly. So 200.00 later he said it should be fixed. Well it is not fixed and now I get this new DTC I have never received before.
16839 - EVAP System

Needless to say I have a call into them. Also I ran some output test and have attached results. Everything passed except Fuel Leak. I know the Fuel Leak was never there before. Any Ideas?
Old 07-27-2016, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffkruse
16839 - EVAP System

If its a leak, I would suspect one of the pump caps wasnt installed or tightened down correctly. Or maybe the o-ring is torn. I changed out the (Main) RH pump, only to discover It has a crossover tube that connects to the LH pump. So both pumps had to be accessed. Those lines can be tricky to route and install, and feeding the long cross over tube to the LH pump was a bit of a pain. I ended up using mechanical fingers to grab and pass it through. I had to reroute the lines a couple of times before the cap securing the fuel pump would screw on without any preload on the lines.

Another thing would be maybe your fuel level probe wasnt installed correctly. Its attached to the RH pump if I remember correctly.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
EVAP deals w/ vented fumes of course, so logically connected to the work. Probably loose or unconnected hose or something like that. Assuming the tank was closed/sealed back up properly that is...
+1

It is EVAP system leak. Not fuel leak. It shouldn't be a big problem to find it. Back to that last mechanic.

By the way, is it still stalling at 1/4? You also never said that it restarts and drive after stalling.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It does restart after stalling

And yes it still does stall at about 1/4 of tank. Sorry if I did not mention that earlier. I do have a call into the last mechanic. Not only did it not get fixed I get the a DTC code that I have never received before. Bummer