A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to change my upper control arms

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
I expect another 40k miles out of them. And on Chicago roads that's good going. That's what the set I just replaced managed according to its service records, and they were only just starting to go.

I know we moan about them and why can't Audi fix them, blah blah blah. But they're not particularly difficult or expensive to fix. I'd rather these get sacrificed to wear out sooner rather than some other more expensive components which is what would happen if the upper bushings were more durable. This is because the other suspension components would then be subjected to greater loads.

I don't for a second think that Audi can't figure out a more durable design. I think it's intentional and it's no coincidence that it still affects the D4 and other newer Audi models with the same general suspension design. Sure they could put tougher more durable bushings in that last 100k miles, but then we'd all be up in arms about cracked suspension pickup points ala BMW M3, or some other much more serious to fix issue.
I have to disagree. Making bushings harder would transfer more force to the chassis and potentially cause some damage, but making them more durable, like better material, won't hurt anything.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
I have to disagree. Making bushings harder would transfer more force to the chassis and potentially cause some damage, but making them more durable, like better material, won't hurt anything.
Disagree all you like. Appreciably more durable but no stiffer bushing material is a suspension engineer's holy grail. Those two material properties are at odds with one another so it'll always be a compromise. Durability vs stiffness vs NVH. They all play into it and the engineers have made their selections based on an awful lot more research, testing and previous model durability feedback than we've done from our armchairs.

And it's not as if other large heavy cars don't suffer from bushing wear in a similar manner. Both my Dad's w211 and w212 e-class's have had a healthy appetite for bushings no better than the A8. It's just that we tend to think it's a problem that only affects A8's as that's all we read about on the forums. Other Marques usually have similar issues, it's just we're generally not exposing ourselves to that information on a regular basis.

Last edited by dvs_dave; 05-06-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

All I can add is I am trying the S8 bushings/arms that are somehow different in their composition, at least supposedly. In 40-50K I may have a further practical answer, if I know where car is by then. Also FWIW, when you play with the bushings and arms in place, you realize they actually do need--or at least seem designed--to move in all three dimensions, so pretty complicated.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

What I don't fully understand is why the torsional force on the rubber is necessary? Why can't the bushings just pivot on the bolts? I thought the dampers/airsprings/tire flex were in charge of up-n-down changes?
I see why the rubber can be used as it is, but it seems there'd be a much better way.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by aTOMic
What I don't fully understand is why the torsional force on the rubber is necessary? Why can't the bushings just pivot on the bolts? I thought the dampers/airsprings/tire flex were in charge of up-n-down changes?
I see why the rubber can be used as it is, but it seems there'd be a much better way.
A hunch is if you study the designs and arms, it provides negative camber in the direction of and during a turn. Or in common sense lingo, it helps the front wheels lean into the turn to plant the tire width better with the forces involved.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-06-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by aTOMic
Yes, it can be better designed if A4 (cheap) bushings can't survive forces and 3D flexion. Just a bit bigger bushings would last just as long as bottom ones that carry much more forces and same flexion. No need for a magic wand. But German engineers are still to discover that.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

You should write to Audi's design department. Tell them what you know. I'm sure they'll be very thankful
Old 05-07-2016, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'll go w/ Misha here notionally. The design is from a late 90's A4, that then migrated to D2 A8. D3 and D2 are basically same except air ride strut in front, or at least same in turn as my C5 4.2 which was apparently a D2 copy when they stuffed the 4.2 in the A6. Trouble was, wheel and tire weight on an A4 of the era was like 40 pounds, and brake rotor maybe 15. Make it 45 ish on a D2 and 20 on the brake rotors. Then pork it up to 50-60 on a D3 for the wheels and take the brake rotors to 30-40 depending on motor, and oops. They switched from cast iron calipers to alloy ones, but then got the way heavy cast iron bracket to go with it. Even over the life of the D3, these various wheel and brake diameters were sized up, yet suspension components not revisited. Said bluntly, poor ongoing design and sustaining engineering management.

And BTW, pattern continues on D4. Yet more wheel pork. Across most all Audis these days. They did offset it a bit with the quasi two piece rotors up front on the D4 and other larger brake ones, which in turn cost like 3x the $ of the standard cast ones. Virtually no aftermarket ones either--as the higher volume SQ5 owners who got the parts bin brake specials from the A8 3.0T are starting to find out at like $500 a rotor.

In general, the D's need a serious weight reduction--500+ pounds these days, maybe more. Run away HP has cloaked it, but they have gotten really porky even with our aluminum bodies. The suspension bushings are sort of the canary in the coal mine signaling something.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-07-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

In 2001, the S8 weighed in at just over 4000lbs. Today's model weighs 600lbs more. MP4.2 is right, these things have pulled a full Oprah, compensating for the extra poundage with more power than ever.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:52 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
MP4.2 is right, these things have pulled a full Oprah, compensating for the extra poundage with more power than ever.
Beautiful !!!

Quick Reply: Ready to change my upper control arms