A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote key cosmetic refurb.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Remote key cosmetic refurb.

I always use the same key remote of the set I have, and started from the more worn one when I got the car 6 years ago. Over the years it has gotten beat up.

Recently the little four ring logo fell off the back. Initially I was disappointed, though I found you can get the logos on eBay. But, it started me on a different idea when I looked at the listings--just buy a whole replacement remote and swap out the important guts that personalize it to my A8--the circuit board and the cut key. On eBay you can find Asian knock offs of the key case that look pretty good. But then for a few more $$--exactly $20 and $5 shipping--I bought a complete key that cosmetically looked excellent. I knew the electronics and cut key were essentially useless, so I was going for the keypad, panic button and case appearance, plus the now missing logo on mine.

The logo falling off is what clued me in. The hidden screw that really holds it together is...under that logo. I won't write a whole "how to" here, but it took about 20 minutes total. Half was for the mechanical roll pin for the physical cut key, which I have done before on old remotes before electronic interlocks came in circa 2001. The other 10 minutes was for the guts. I took my old one apart just to get a feel for the construction. Now knowing that, I realized it has the classic popping clock spring type set up for the switchblade function. So during the "transplant" part for my pre existing circuit board I just held the switchblade in place (on the side with the release button), and pulled the purchased donor case apart. With that I simply put the circuit board from my old key into it, screwed it back together, applied the logo that I had carefully pried off the same key, and it was done. Tested w/ car, and all great.

The picture shows the eBay donor key just before I transplanted the parts from my fully dissasembled old key beside it. When I did the swap over only the screws, the battery and circuit board were fully taken out and the rest of the bit parts seen in the picture around the switchblade area stayed together in the "new" body.
Attached Images  
Old 09-22-2013, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I used this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncut-Folding-Flip-Remote-FOB-Key-Case-Shell-for-Audi-3-Buttons-panic-3BT-/121176613851?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AAudi%7CModel%3AA8&hash=item1c36b063db&vxp=mtr
Old 01-18-2015, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bringing up an old thread, this is something I will want to do soon--I'll probably be bothering you for details, Mishar
Old 01-18-2015, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I found fob case on eBay. It was cheep and acceptable quality. It has to look exactly like the original. Otherwise you can't transfer electronics to it.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mishar
I found fob case on eBay. It was cheep and acceptable quality. It has to look exactly like the original. Otherwise you can't transfer electronics to it.
Perfect thanks! Switchblade can transfer as well yes?
Old 01-18-2015, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

Yes. Look for rollpin hole w/ blade held partially open @ 90 degrees.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default cautionary tale...

Originally Posted by mishar
I used this: ___
I transfered my circuit board to a Bentley key shell years ago because their key is so much nicer and made by the same company as Audi's, so the circuit boards interchange. And my last name begins with a 'B' so I see the big Bentley Flying 'B' on the key as a monogram and not a wanna-be thing. Anyway, my key buttons got too worn over the years , so I decided to make a new key and I saw the Chinese knock-off Bentley shells on eBay. They were cheap, so rather than buy an expensive (even used on eBay) Bentley key I ordered the Chinese key.

The Chinese key only looked like a Bentley key...everything about its dimensions and construction was incompatible with my Audi circuit board. Useless. So I ordred the Audi version and the one I got was usless also. Bought another OEM Bentley key on eBay and swapped out my circuit board, transferd the keyblade/flip mechanism and I now have a new 'monogramed' key.

So you are fortunate to have gotten a knock-off that is actually a useable clone of the real-deal Audi key. Anyone who wants to use Chinese copy should buy from the seller that you bouight from I would say.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone tried this one?

KeyMam LockSmith Shop | http://www.KeyMam.com-Audi 3 button flip remote key shell
Old 01-27-2015, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

At that price its worth a try.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Check those pictures first. They couldn't assemble it properly even for that.

Quick Reply: Remote key cosmetic refurb.