A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 5.2 Intake Manifold removal and cylinder cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
At the end you may apply some Moisturizer Cream.
Lucky you = you have a "normal" engine! ;-)
Old 12-22-2012, 12:28 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Walnut shell blasting

Cylinder head removal is definately not required, only intake manifold removal. Have a look here.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682116

Excellent DIY instructions, albeit for a BMW but exact same issue. Explains the process in detail and the tools BMW/MINI dealers use to clean the intakes out. My MINI which has a DI engine needed a clean after only 20k. It was done "on the house" and it made a hell of an improvement.

Walnut shell blasting tools can be rented so this should make the job a much more feasable DIY prospect, but it can be purchased easily enough. In fact ECS tuning sell them
Old 12-22-2012, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Only thing I am concerned about is lose deposits that will stay around valves. Vacuuming or blowing can't clean all. That dust can stuck valves opened or jam piston rings.

That BMW shouldn't be cleaned at all at the first place. Those ware minor deposits that barely "painted" intake and valves.

It is interesting that everybody is talking about cleaning and not about preventing. If Mini had to be cleaned after 20K it will have to be cleaned again after 15K and so on. Deposits generally came from oil, but also from a low quality fuel. FSI only oil. That oil comes from the crank case ventilation that by low has to go trough the combustion process. There are systems that should prevent any oil to go that way, but not all of them are perfect. Another way to get oil there is around intake valves if they are not perfectly sealed. Just cleaning deposits without addressing this is ridiculous. And to address leak around valve steams head has to come off.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

I'm aware of all that but the fact of the matter remains that not even the manufacturers seem to have solved this problem yet so Joe Schmoe hasn't got much hope. In the meantime those of us with DI engines are stuck with having to clean them periodically, or butcher the crankcase breather system which usually results in codes being thrown and problems passing emissions tests.

Whether or not that BMW needed to be cleaned is not relevant, it's the "how to" that matters. However the reason walnut shells are used is because at worst a couple of bits of ground walnut shell ending up in the cylinder is no big deal. It's much much softer than any other material in there, and is quickly burned away to nothing. Same for any residual carbon deposits...and lets not forget where they came from in the first place.

Sure you can take the heads off and make a huge deal of the job, however the cost/benefit of doing this over the walnut shell blasting doesn't make any sense.

Lastly, that business about it being caused by low grade fuel and oil is total BS. That line is spun by the manufacturers to try and shift the blame for their fundamental design flaw onto user error. My MINI has been run on nothing but OEM oil from the dealer and BP or Shell's finest since new, and it was all coked up after only 20k. That's not user error.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only thing I am concerned about is lose deposits that will stay around valves. Vacuuming or blowing can't clean all. That dust can stuck valves opened or jam piston rings.

That BMW shouldn't be cleaned at all at the first place. Those ware minor deposits that barely "painted" intake and valves.

It is interesting that everybody is talking about cleaning and not about preventing. If Mini had to be cleaned after 20K it will have to be cleaned again after 15K and so on. Deposits generally came from oil, but also from a low quality fuel. FSI only oil. That oil comes from the crank case ventilation that by low has to go trough the combustion process. There are systems that should prevent any oil to go that way, but not all of them are perfect. Another way to get oil there is around intake valves if they are not perfectly sealed. Just cleaning deposits without addressing this is ridiculous. And to address leak around valve steams head has to come off.
Walnut shell blasting would be an even better way of doing this, if you had access to a blaster. There is absolutely no worry about any remaining debris causing any problems with this method.

I'll agree, however, that that Mini did not need cleaning yet. My friend's S6 at 40k was 13 times worse than that, and certainly needed cleaning.

As to what causes this, I'll agree that the manufacturers still have a lot of work to do in curing this problem on the DI engines, and until they figure this out, I think simply accepting this as a maintenance item is the best you're going to get.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default cleaning

here's before and after on the intake runners
Attached Images   
Old 12-22-2012, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default cleaning

here
Attached Images   
Old 12-22-2012, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by s4master1
here's before and after on the intake runners
This engine is sick more than just deposits. It must burn oil like crazy.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by s4master1
here
If those two are also before and after than that engine didn't need any cleaning.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default before

If those two are also before and after than that engine didn't need any cleaning.
before shots
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: S8 5.2 Intake Manifold removal and cylinder cleaning