A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single Frame grill conversion...will this work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single Frame grill conversion...will this work?

Ive been looking everywhere and I haven't seen this covered anywhere on the internet so I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone had an idea if this would work.
I have a 2004 A8L and Id like to try to update the grill to the newer single frame.
first off, I am aware that 2006 and up conversions will require new headlights, hood, grill and lower grill fogs and inserts, and some wiring and will cost upwards of $5k. I am also aware that Hofele and Iltek offer 2 types of single frame bumpers, the Premier and the RS8 w/LEDs which are fiberglass bumpers that use the OEM single frame Grills and will cost about $4K installed.
I dont want to spend that much to do a single frame conversion and the hofele kits look a bit cheap but I had an idea that might work and I was wondering if anyone knows if this might work.
I have been looking at pictures online of the 2004 A8 W12 and comparing the Hood and Headlights with that of the 2004 Audi A8 4.2L.
it seems that the w12 hood looks very similar to that of the 4.2. The cut out for the headlights and the grill look very similar. I contacted my local Audi dealership and asked them about pricing and about the hood differences between an 04 w12 and a 04 4.2. The bumper alone would cost me about $900 unpainted and the Audi parts department is telling me that the hoods that are used in both the w12 and 4.2s are the same. this means the headlights and the bumpers should be interchangeable.
So....I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is a possibility that the 2004 w12 front bumper would fit on a 2004 audi A8 4.2L to Convert the grill to a single frame for a newer look?
anyone have any knowledge of fitment or heard of this working?

thank you for any info.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Have not heard anything about this. I am surprised that the dealer can get a front bumper for a 04 A8L W12. I am curious about this conversion and interested if it works.

Do you still live in Va Beach?
Old 07-26-2011, 01:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's not the same

The hoods are not the same there is a difference I checked into every option to do the same thing you are trying to do since I had my entire front bumper off. It's way too much money...you might as well buy a newer car...But here's what I did and I like the look a lot and it was under $10 to do.
Attached Images   
Old 07-26-2011, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

A8nightmare:
Are the 2 pictures before and after?
I'm struggling to spot the differences.

Comparing both of your pictures to the first one ABez included, it appears you blacked out the bottom of the upper grill and top of the lower grill to give a bit of an illusion of a single grill.
Then of course you added the LEDs (which look pretty good and clean if you ask me).
Are there other differences you can list?

What are the details on the LEDs?
Old 07-26-2011, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually those LEDs DO look very good. They could pass for stock. I don't think the difference on the grill is noticeable to anyone but you though. If you hadn't said anything I'd have never noticed.

Personally, I don't mind the look of the 04-05' cars. They don't look any older than the newer cars; they just look different. If things were swapped around the other way and the 04 - 05' cars had the single grill and the 06-09's had the double then everyone would be asking how they could switch out to the double grill design.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes! Those LEDs look fantastic! That's the best non-stock integration I've seen yet. They actually look like they belong.

And, the grille black-out is pretty clever too.

Well done.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

The before pic is not my car, but the same none the less. I put a couple of after pics so you could see the difference. I think it is very noticeable especially when you look at the car from a slight distance away..these pics still do not do it justice. Everyone that saw it before and after thought it looks cleaner and tougher. For the LED's I added... Those are replacements for the A6 bought on ebay. I custom cut the lower knock out for the lights, with the bumper off. They are curved almost lining up perfect with the bumper curve. I mounted them with screw mounting clips just like the factory would have for easy replacement. They cost around $30 for the pair. Note it was a bit of job to put them in and make them appear as if they came from the factory, but well worth it I thought.

Also the grille is just blacked out using some black graphics vinyl. Its great, because if I ever need the car back to orginal just peel off instead of ruining a $500+ grille set with paint. I saw another one that went one step further and got a piece of chrome trim and connected the two to make it appear as one. I found the pic and posted it as well.

Originally Posted by Mike_k
Actually those LEDs DO look very good. They could pass for stock. I don't think the difference on the grill is noticeable to anyone but you though. If you hadn't said anything I'd have never noticed.

Personally, I don't mind the look of the 04-05' cars. They don't look any older than the newer cars; they just look different. If things were swapped around the other way and the 04 - 05' cars had the single grill and the 06-09's had the double then everyone would be asking how they could switch out to the double grill design.
Attached Images     

Last edited by A8nightmare; 07-27-2011 at 02:05 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

What do you think about painting that middle part of bumper with chrome paint? I like that white A8 with black mid part, but it won't work that good on dark colors (obviously nothing on black).
Old 07-27-2011, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

I will say that the Black Out on the Grille is a nice touch and not far off from what I did to the Side Markers. I at one point had the Front Park Lights Blacked Out until the Accident, but will re-do it soon. I'm still not sold on the LEDs, but will admit that the Flow of them is not Bad at all. The only concern I have is that Factory LEDs burn Hot/Bright and I'm not sure based on the Photo that they are a Match in Ouput Power compared to OEMs. AFT, White A8, that is a Conversion Kit (LLTEK) JE Designs and is a Single Piece Grille, not added Chrome Strips. However, it does stay closer to Factory Looks more so over the Hofele Design without Cheesing It UP! Larter,
Old 07-27-2011, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

the leds are a lot brighter than they look in the pic I just couldn;t get the pics to show how bright they are. I made sure thet looked right before I even attempted the install. I will try to get you a better pic with them on.

Quick Reply: Single Frame grill conversion...will this work?