A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tomorrow I will put 150,000-th mile on my 2007 S8

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 04:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tomorrow I will put 150,000-th mile on my 2007 S8

Anyone got more, on D3 S8--?

I had planned to replace it with D4 S8 at first availability, as I did with this iteration and last, BUT this car is still going too strong, with everything working and almost looking like new (and, I am addicted to the MTM exhaust song).

The V10 has used altogether 7 quarts of oil between 10,000-mile changes, and none recently. I average 17 mpg in fairly spirited driving mix.

At just before 75k miles (hence under "emissions" warranty) there was an elusive problem with failing ground strap that caused engine to miss and one cat converter to explode. Obviously there was no long-term issue and to me it would appear that carbon buildup must be merely urban legend.

My unscheduled maintenance has consisted of upper control arm bushings, two air suspension "struts", and both headlights, over the years.

If I've jinxed the vehicle by virtue of this very satisfied report, and it thus falls apart tomorrow, it owes me nothing. But upon assessing that it will apparently fetch under $20k in trade, I just put (only marginally needed) new Conti tires on it and suppose that I will keep it for another year at least. I could make the case that these cars are not expensive if one uses them "fully".
Old 01-20-2013, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SENS8

I had planned to replace it with D4 S8 at first availability, as I did with this iteration and last, BUT this car is still going too strong, with everything working and almost looking like new (and, I am addicted to the MTM exhaust song).

The V10 has used altogether 7 quarts of oil between 10,000-mile changes, and none recently. I average 17 mpg in fairly spirited driving mix.

At just before 75k miles (hence under "emissions" warranty) there was an elusive problem with failing ground strap that caused engine to miss and one cat converter to explode. Obviously there was no long-term issue and to me it would appear that carbon buildup must be merely urban legend.

My unscheduled maintenance has consisted of upper control arm bushings, two air suspension "struts", and both headlights, over the years.

If I've jinxed the vehicle by virtue of this very satisfied report, and it thus falls apart tomorrow, it owes me nothing. But upon assessing that it will apparently fetch under $20k in trade, I just put (only marginally needed) new Conti tires on it and suppose that I will keep it for another year at least. I could make the case that these cars are not expensive if one uses them "fully".
Congrats, My '04 A8L has just over 186,000 miles. Only one air strut two years ago and the air suspension compressor about 100,000 miles ago. Just replaced the heater/AC blower motor and starter within the past five weeks. That car owes me nothingbut I fully expect 350,000 miles on the odometer before she goes to the scrap heap. Who knows? Maybe I'll hit 400,000 on the odometer.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn, maybe D3 S8 with 50-70k miles is not a bad buy, got me thinking
Old 01-20-2013, 11:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Great to hear that I am going to be enjoying my beast for a long, long time!
Old 01-21-2013, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hopefully I achieve those mpg numbers when summer comes around. These cold temps and the change in gas mixture to winter fuel is killing my MPG's. But as of now no issues with the W12 either!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

May be if you install sails.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As my sig reflects, I'm accustomed to getting some good, high mileage out of the cars -- and my current iteration of 2008 A8 SWB and wife's 2008 A6 S-Line are no exception to that expectation. What seems to be the Achilles heals on my Audis are blowers, linkage components up front, and an occasional electrical problem. Most recently, my compressor & blower on the now-traded 2006 S4 died and would have required about $3500-$4000 to replace (including labor). At 95k miles and just 4 months outside the CPO warranty, I thought it best to unload and step up to the A8. But it is things like that -- not heavily worn components -- that seem to raise their ugly head just beyond the warranty period...Not complaining, just observing. Heck, I've taken the other route as well when I replaced the tranny in my 2001 A6 S-Line at 120k miles 'cuz I liked the car so much...!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Very encouraging for the hunt for an 07-08 S8!!!!
Old 01-21-2013, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BASARAB
Damn, maybe D3 S8 with 50-70k miles is not a bad buy, got me thinking
What do you mean "maybe"??? It's the best car I've ever owned! I probably won't get to more than 125K on mine but I try to share mileage pretty evenly with a 911. Every 5 years I upgrade one or the other which means they each must last 10 years. I'm due for a 991 the next time around but I hope they keep making the S8 so I can enjoy an upgrade to this amazing machine. The D4 looks incredible in every department but exterior styling.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

this was a great help i have the same issue it squeaks when i just start driving and its cold out .. it also drops to the ground the front end until i start it and it picks back up. For the squeaks check all the bushings .. but how about the lowering of the front end??

Quick Reply: tomorrow I will put 150,000-th mile on my 2007 S8