A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updating MMI HW V.1 (beating a dead horse)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Updating MMI HW V.1 (beating a dead horse)

I confess I gave up scared; afraid of bricking the car. Now that I'm older and stupider, I was reading through my former thread "update not working" and realized I had not pursued the Nav disc update to version 5 . So some easy questions for those who've been there:
1) Would simply buying the newer, say 2014, nav disc update this? I think not, but wanted input...

1a) Any chance somebody will have pity on me and give me their old nav cds?

2) If there IS an update CD for the NAV version 5, does it stay in the nav unit? (I'm guessing no.)

2a) will someone who has the nav v.5 update CD loan it to me (or should my indy have it)?

TIA
Tom
Old 05-26-2016, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

I think you have to use the version 5 or later Nav disk in the unit permanently--like they are designed to be--and not just throw it in there for some code to be read off of it one time. But, not sure that is documented anywhere.

And yes, of course you can just buy the most current version if you want to be most up to date. You can get older version Nav disks off of EBay, discounted more as they get older. Obviously try to find legit ones rather than burner copies. v 4 is a fossil, so you should find some somewhat newer than even 2005/v5. Skip v 7 BTW; it was quietly deep sixed by Navteq as flawed in some way they never said anything more about than discontinuing it early in 2007 with no replacement until 2008/v8. And yes, I once had an older version I gave away to another member, so you might get lucky that way.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-26-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default I think I have both 5 and 6

Originally Posted by aTOMic
I confess I gave up scared; afraid of bricking the car. Now that I'm older and stupider, I was reading through my former thread "update not working" and realized I had not pursued the Nav disc update to version 5 . So some easy questions for those who've been there:
1) Would simply buying the newer, say 2014, nav disc update this? I think not, but wanted input...

1a) Any chance somebody will have pity on me and give me their old nav cds?

2) If there IS an update CD for the NAV version 5, does it stay in the nav unit? (I'm guessing no.)

2a) will someone who has the nav v.5 update CD loan it to me (or should my indy have it)?

TIA
Tom
Can you burn a DVD with verify option? I can send you the original DVDs, but I hate going to the Post Office. If you can burn, and do it well, I'll make an iso from the original DVD, put on my server, you can download them and burn them.
Now I have to go look for my DVD folders, all my originals are in it. I don't even know where I put them in the house. The wife keep cleaning up stuff and refused to remember where she put them.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 05-26-2016, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Hey thanks, Louis! I've burned Ubuntu on my old XP machine w/the checksum verify or whatever and it worked. My moneybags wife just bought the most ridiculous overkill "Dull" laptop with multicolor illuminated keyboard and every option checked (business expense but still) just to **** me off I think (I'm on a 1st-gen chromebook; borrowed at that)!... so maybe i'll borrow hers - does winduhs 10 burn em easily? I read somewhere that win 10 machines all have touchscreens; if that's true she doesn't even know it (!) but she will after I finish using it while eating a bag of chips .

I just need to find a nice old Lenovo to run Kubuntu & XP maybe for the VCDS. HD screen and 24 hour battery and I do not give a **** how heavy it is after carrying around that 10-pound Dell XP garage computer that has low-res screen and 45-second battery life!
Or a Macbook Air if a rich relative dies.

>Rant off
Thanks for the offer (which you made before so thanks X2). Tell your wife to stop cleaning your laboratory! That's what happened to Nikola Tesla!
Old 05-26-2016, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Found them... hiding in the bottom of the new clean stack up.

On my messy desk, I know exactly where everything is, now everything is stacked up nicely and I can't see anything.

I think new computer is better, forget XP, go with the new and improved Win7 or 10, forget the 8.

BTW, all DVDs or CDs are only last so many years, but the ISO files in the hard drives and cloud should last forever.

If you need anything just let me know,

Cheers,

Louis

Originally Posted by aTOMic
Hey thanks, Louis! I've burned Ubuntu on my old XP machine w/the checksum verify or whatever and it worked. My moneybags wife just bought the most ridiculous overkill "Dull" laptop with multicolor illuminated keyboard and every option checked (business expense but still) just to **** me off I think (I'm on a 1st-gen chromebook; borrowed at that)!... so maybe i'll borrow hers - does winduhs 10 burn em easily? I read somewhere that win 10 machines all have touchscreens; if that's true she doesn't even know it (!) but she will after I finish using it while eating a bag of chips .

I just need to find a nice old Lenovo to run Kubuntu & XP maybe for the VCDS. HD screen and 24 hour battery and I do not give a **** how heavy it is after carrying around that 10-pound Dell XP garage computer that has low-res screen and 45-second battery life!
Or a Macbook Air if a rich relative dies.

>Rant off
Thanks for the offer (which you made before so thanks X2). Tell your wife to stop cleaning your laboratory! That's what happened to Nikola Tesla!