A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VCDS Ride Height Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im sorry for not clarifying myself. What i mean is... i already set my ride height. Why is it when i get out of the car and lock it does it lower? then when i turn the car back on, the car will rise to my set ride height. i just didn't know why the car would lower itself even lower than where i set my ride height after locking the car.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I'll give it one more go. You set the ride height. When you get into the car that adds weight. Therefore the ride height is too low. The car adds air to bring the car up to the correct ride height. When you get out of the car you subtract weight and the car is now taller than the set ride height. Therefore it bleeds off air to adjust to the correct ride height. If what you are saying is that the car is not maintaining the correct ride height then you didn't level it correctly.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 585 Likes on 490 Posts

Let me jump in from the bleachers as another reader. There may still be an ambiguity here.

audigy, are you saying it trims a little bit when you get out, or are you saying it does a major drop (like half an inch, or even more...), then a major rise when you get back in? First of course is normal if it is just modestly correcting for reduction of weight as driver exits, but latter is screwed up.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by audigy187
Im sorry for not clarifying myself. What i mean is... i already set my ride height. Why is it when i get out of the car and lock it does it lower? then when i turn the car back on, the car will rise to my set ride height. i just didn't know why the car would lower itself even lower than where i set my ride height after locking the car.
Sounds pretty normal to me when the suspension is set to "Automatic". Here is what happens.

When you get out and lock the car, the system vent some air and will lower the car due to the decreased weight. When you get in, the car knows weight has been added and will raise the car.

Based on my observations, there is also a park and lock mode that lowers the car. While this feature seems undocumented, it is what I have observed. As to why it does that, I can only guess. It seems logical that the system is venting some air (and water) to keep the condensation at a minimum. Compressed air cannot hold as much moisture as normal air so the water condenses out and collects in the system. It may be that Audi is simply draining the water along with a little air when you park and lock the car. This keeps the air supply dry.

All in all, what you describe is normal operation assuming normal ride height and "Automatic" selected. Muck with lowering the car from specified ride height and all bets are off. Dynamic is too low for me and I start scraping the bottom of the car on certain roads that have big dips, etc. So I don't know if the park and lock lowering occurs in other modes.

Last edited by richard-tx; 07-13-2016 at 04:45 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It's much simpler than that and it works in all ride height adjustments (not in the jacking mode), lowered or not. When you exit the car springs are relaxed and lift the car a bit. Suspension reacts by venting some air in order to bring it back to the set level.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
It's much simpler than that and it works in all ride height adjustments (not in the jacking mode), lowered or not. When you exit the car springs are relaxed and lift the car a bit. Suspension reacts by venting some air in order to bring it back to the set level.
I disagree. Measure the ride height before and after. This isn't just a couple of mm that it is dropping. It is more like 3/4" of an inch.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Measure the ride height before and after what? If you're talking about how much it lowers when you lock the car it would depend on how much weight you took out of the car before locking. If five people got out it will have to lower quite a bit to get back to the correct height. If a 180lb driver got out not at much. The point is that the car drops down to the set height.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is that possible to give each channel different value?
I mean, give each wheel different height.
For example, front left 391 mm and front right 396 mm?
Old 05-21-2017, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes it's possible, but I wouldn't want to do that. The car is adjusting for your weight after you get in and again after you get out. In "steady state" with no one in the car, the front wheels should measure the same (or within a mm or two). So should the back wheels. When weight is added, the car adjusts.

I just finished setting mine for "22" rather than "55" so my targets were 401/383. I got the fronts so they were 406 and 401. Could not get the front left to go down 5mm. It would accept the value changes, but I guess they were not saving. The car had a slight drift to the right, that it never had before - that's why I don't think you want the front wheels to be different heights. I tried several times to readjust...finally I reset the codes (even with no errors), and tried again. That must have done it, because lo and behold, it worked - the car adjusted itself after I saved the "1" in Channel 5. It wasn't doing that before. Now fronts are 401/401 and rears are 383/383. Just where I want them, and no more drift.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 91quattro
Yes it's possible, but I wouldn't want to do that. The car is adjusting for your weight after you get in and again after you get out. In "steady state" with no one in the car, the front wheels should measure the same (or within a mm or two). So should the back wheels. When weight is added, the car adjusts.

I just finished setting mine for "22" rather than "55" so my targets were 401/383. I got the fronts so they were 406 and 401. Could not get the front left to go down 5mm. It would accept the value changes, but I guess they were not saving. The car had a slight drift to the right, that it never had before - that's why I don't think you want the front wheels to be different heights. I tried several times to readjust...finally I reset the codes (even with no errors), and tried again. That must have done it, because lo and behold, it worked - the car adjusted itself after I saved the "1" in Channel 5. It wasn't doing that before. Now fronts are 401/401 and rears are 383/383. Just where I want them, and no more drift.
thank you.

The same problem with my car.
Front left and front right have different heights. That can be noticed when looking at the car from outside.
Front left seems to be lower than front right.
That's why I thought I would need to give there different values.
So, how dod you reset? And why is that process so complicated? Why doesn't it save values at once?
​​​​​​

Quick Reply: VCDS Ride Height Adjustment