A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are your thoughts on this S8?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I would walk away from it.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured that would be a problem. Having those items replaced when the vehicle was that new with low miles means something may have happened. I am going to pass on this one for now. I'll keep looking....forever
Old 12-08-2015, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Folks, folks. Everyone knows that I have been looking for precisely the same car (08'-09') S8 as the OP. So if y'all can take a deep breadth and pour a nice drink, I'll let ya know when I've made up my mind (OK, when my 2 other vehicles sell). Be patient as I promise I'll be done by Spring.......or Summer........of next year.........I think. Carry on.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

In my opinion all records and Carfax are irrelevant if you don't see, drive and inspect the car. Just a bit of paranoia can make you pass a great car, or a bit of too much trust to buy a wreck. Is it good or bad that many parts have been replaced? Does it mean that the owner was meticulous guy and you get many new parts, or something is wrong with that car? People are counterfeiting money, what's service record compared to that. Certain software can "correct" millage, but can't correct overused seats, smelly engine, or dead modules.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2001 S8
Looks nice but if I were in the market I'd take a hard look at this one in Illinois. It has a Rebuilt Title but has everything you're wanting (CF,Ext Leather, B&O, gray or black). I'd check it out in person. Drive it checking for rattles, squeaks and handling, and take it to an Audi dealer to get the full background on the repairs and PPI.

It's a PFL S8 but is $11,000 less than the one your looking at in MA. It's all a gamble though.

Audi S8 Base Sedan 4 Door | eBay

Good luck.
I wouldn't touch rebuilt aluminum cars; proper aluminum repair is VERY expensive, which leads me to believe just about all of these end up being hack jobs involving gallons of body filler.

Case point: note the panel gap between the right front door and the fender on the car linked above.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
In my opinion all records and Carfax are irrelevant if you don't see, drive and inspect the car. Just a bit of paranoia can make you pass a great car, or a bit of too much trust to buy a wreck. Is it good or bad that many parts have been replaced? Does it mean that the owner was meticulous guy and you get many new parts, or something is wrong with that car? People are counterfeiting money, what's service record compared to that. Certain software can "correct" millage, but can't correct overused seats, smelly engine, or dead modules.
I'm with you on this issue.
The upper control arm replacements could have been because of early wear seen during an inspection, which is caused by the design defect of under sizing the bushings, but not really needing replacement until later.
Step away from the computer and visually inspect the car, then drive it to your trusted mechanic for their thoughts as well.
I'd be interested in this one if it was white, because it has the B&O and carbon that mine lacks.

I bought my car from a one person non Audi dealer, and it's been above average in reliability with no hidden defects.
The local Audi dealer later said that it had been repainted (untrue), in an effort to make a sale on the current model, based solely on me removing the badges from the sides and rear.

Last edited by EHLO; 12-09-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

How does a "stolen vehicle" status affect the resale value? Looks like it's in great condition and serviced at the same Audi dealer with extensive records.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=96701&endYear=2009&modelC ode1=S8&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&showcaseOwnerId=693 66869&startYear=2008&makeCode1=AUDI&firstRecord=0& numRecords=100&searchRadius=0&showcaseListingId=0& mmt=[AUDI[S8[]][]]&listingId=416379297&Log=0

Last edited by ArabianKnight; 12-23-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ArabianKnight
Great car that looks pretty darn clean. I think they are asking WAY TOO MUCH however with that "stolen" line on the carfax.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I wished that I had done the following before purchasing, might have made a bit of a difference:

1. Pull the codes or get the codes read and printed. Read the seller the riot act
2. I think a solid PPI is a must for something as significant as the S8 (V10 motor)
Old 12-23-2015, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Shark_V8
I wished that I had done the following before purchasing, might have made a bit of a difference:

1. Pull the codes or get the codes read and printed. Read the seller the riot act
2. I think a solid PPI is a must for something as significant as the S8 (V10 motor)
This is just my opinion but in all the research I did before purchasing I rank the A8 motors as follows for easy of maintenance:

W12 after all it is practically two VR6s bolted together at the crank
V10 as it has proven to be tremendously reliable in the Gallardo
4.2 V8 there was a larger sample size to pull from which means more instances of problems even if the frequency wasn't actually greater. Stats are hard sometimes.

Full scan is a must and my only regret although the dealer didn't saying anything when I brought it in and had them do the scan. Hoping for no crazy surprises when I get my VAGCOM.

Quick Reply: What are your thoughts on this S8?