A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi S8 vs. BMW M6 Gran Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

you'll laugh, and I'm a big bimmer fan but I couldn't get the 6 series 4 door in any configuration - NO SUNROOF! Well, it has a glass roof that pops up, but that's it, unless they've redesigned it. same reason I wouldn't by an A5 coupe, again, sunroof doesn't slide open and I'm a big fan of sunroofs.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Allzwell
I've just converted to Audi from BMW.
I've had 5 BMW's over the last 15 years and they have gotten progressively worse in build quality. My last 2 (a B7 and an "Individual" 6 series have been pitiful. The B7 was an awesome car when I was able to drive it and not the loaner from the dealer. BMW service in Houston is awful, the techs are hammer swingers at best.
BMW wouldn't even step up to a cracked / broken rear wheel at 17k miles.
I sure hope that this S8 turns out to be a decent car as I hope that I never have to own a BMW again.
BMW are notorious for weak rims, I had 2 M5 (2003 and 2006) and had 4 rims replaced between the 2 (Chicago has terrible roads).
You are not likely to have that problem with S8, mine has 14k miles already and so far so good.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Allzwell
I've just converted to Audi from BMW.
I've had 5 BMW's over the last 15 years and they have gotten progressively worse in build quality. My last 2 (a B7 and an "Individual" 6 series have been pitiful. The B7 was an awesome car when I was able to drive it and not the loaner from the dealer. BMW service in Houston is awful, the techs are hammer swingers at best.
BMW wouldn't even step up to a cracked / broken rear wheel at 17k miles.
I sure hope that this S8 turns out to be a decent car as I hope that I never have to own a BMW again.
That's discouraging since I'm in Houston as well. What were the problems with your B7 that had it in the shop so much? Any particular dealer to stay away from?
Old 01-15-2017, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexAudi
That's discouraging since I'm in Houston as well. What were the problems with your B7 that had it in the shop so much? Any particular dealer to stay away from?
My B7 had electronic gremlins - biggest issue that I had was that the transmission would shift to Neutral with a noise that would make you think a rear tire just let go. It would do this anywhere from 30 mph to 90 mph. After it did it a half a dozen times on I10 when you have traffic 10 feet off your bumper I gave it up. The dealers even referred my to some indy's that they knew were top notch guys and they never got it. I tried Momentum and both of the Advantage locations. My service advisor was great but we got to be too good of friends - I was just ther way too often.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Motor Trend tried to do a direct comparison test between the Alpina and S8, but they were thrown off guard by just how much faster the S8 was. It wasn't even close. They liked both cars, though. Throw in the gremlins you were having, it makes the B7 a hard pill to swallow. I do like the 7-series, but if I couldn't get the Audi, I would likely look to Jaguar. Love a Jag, not that they don't have their own gremlins, but the XJ is a gorgeous car.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, from what I've read the B7 is not a very quick car compared to the S8. If I go the Gran Sport route I'll probably get the B6 rather than the M6--they're both about the same price equally equipped. I googled up a really good long recent video comparison of the two and the testers liked the B6 much better--not only because it was AWD and killed the M6 on acceleration (both have 600 HP, but the B6 has 590 ft. lbs. of torque vs. 519 on the M6 and, of course, AWD) but because it was a better daily driver with softer suspension and an 8 speed ZF tranny vs. the DCT on the M6, which can be a little clunky under normal driving conditions. They thought the M6 was more of a track day weapon which I'm not really interested in.

I had an '11 Jaguar XJ Supercharged when the new body style first came out and really liked the car--the only issue I had was a moon roof problem that made it sound like it was going to break whenever you went over a bump in the road that was a known problem on the early ones and the dealer finally got it sorted out after a few trips and TSB's from Jaguar. Loved the exterior design--I probably should also consider the new XJR since you can still get it in the SWB version.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

like the styling of the XJ, but loathe the gear shift circle - we have it on our Rover, annoying at best.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by frybear
like the styling of the XJ, but loathe the gear shift circle - we have it on our Rover, annoying at best.
LOL. I have a buddy that hates them too because he likes to rest his hand on the shift lever!
Old 01-17-2017, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Another thing that is bothering me about getting a Gran Sport is the rumor (fact?) that 2018 is the last year of production and if I got one in July it would be a 2018. Supposedly the 6 series coupe will become a smaller sports car (maybe a 2+2) to compete with the 911 and the Gran Sport will be replaced with the new larger 8 series coupe to compete with the S550 coupe.

At least I wouldn't have to worry about any changes while I owned the car for 2 - 3 years!